User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    The two termers are always a mistake.
    There have been some successes. Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Cleveland (non-successive). Some people would argue Eisenhower, Reagan, and Clinton, more recently.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

yea Rag, I agree in the main, the tory's keep saying the country wants change - which is clear is wants something but it's undecided on what. Libs will eventually hook up with Lab because the toties wont offer anythign concrete and the libs would be fools to pass up browns referendum.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

There's more UK or UK interested people on this forum than I realised, surprised, I think that the liberals might join the tories actually, Brown was going to give them what they wanted but the temptation of immediate power could be too great, plus it gives them credibility as competent in office for the next election.

I really cant figure why so many people are hating on Brown, particularly within his own party, he's not half of the things people say I'm sure and off all the party leaders he's the only one with an international profile and the connections in Europe and the US.

Its probably indicative of how radical the tories could be that the markets have shit bricks, they are expecting lots of ideologically directed madness, the tories could be reckless and have a fire sale even if they decide they wont be able to get into office properly at the next election or if one is called.

Fundamentally I think a huge error was made in voting against Brown and "the government" instead for something, which I think is what happened, now the tories think they have a mandate for radical measures and they'll start with a tax break for the uber richies. At a time of crisis and massive debts, a tax break, can you believe it?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's more UK or UK interested people on this forum than I realised
    We don't want you to end up like us where shit don't get done.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP

I wonder if the Conservatives might offer a run-off system as a compromise? Does anybody know what the national opinion in the UK is on the issue of proportional representation? Personally, I dislike PR and multi-seat districts in general (its a highly unaccountable and effectively centralized version of democracy); run-off systems introduce the prospect of "voter fatigue," but first-past-the-post systems are problematic within Parliamentary systems with at at least three prominent parties (there seem to have been a lot of winners with less than 40% of the vote in this election, for instance).

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    We don't want you to end up like us where shit don't get done.
    Its called "checks and balances"; I'm very fond of it, personally.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Its called "checks and balances"; I'm very fond of it, personally.
    I meant more than usual.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's more UK or UK interested people on this forum than I realised, surprised, I think that the liberals might join the tories actually, Brown was going to give them what they wanted but the temptation of immediate power could be too great, plus it gives them credibility as competent in office for the next election.

I really cant figure why so many people are hating on Brown, particularly within his own party, he's not half of the things people say I'm sure and off all the party leaders he's the only one with an international profile and the connections in Europe and the US.

Its probably indicative of how radical the tories could be that the markets have shit bricks, they are expecting lots of ideologically directed madness, the tories could be reckless and have a fire sale even if they decide they wont be able to get into office properly at the next election or if one is called.

Fundamentally I think a huge error was made in voting against Brown and "the government" instead for something, which I think is what happened, now the tories think they have a mandate for radical measures and they'll start with a tax break for the uber richies. At a time of crisis and massive debts, a tax break, can you believe it?
    I could easily turn that around and say "A tax hike when the economy is in the toilet, can you believe it?" If you cut spending by a greater amount than you cut revenue, then you cut into the debt, do you not?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Meanwhile the Tories will be claiming "moral victory" despite not actually getting the mandate required.
    I wonder if their morality extends as far as conceding that they have no mandate whatsoever to govern north of the border then?
    Somehow I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    I wonder if their morality extends as far as conceding that they have no mandate whatsoever to govern north of the border then?
    Somehow I doubt it.
    Yeah, it's quite interesting when you look at the colours by country. Blue England.. very blue. But everywhere else, nope.