User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    NICE

I know the feeling. We've had Conservative & Lib Dems literature, but the Labour Party have given up 'round my way. They don't even bother with the doorstep handshakes anymore. The Conservatives don't bother, either because the seat's as good as theirs. Meanwhile the Lib Dems operate on such a shoestring budget they cannot focus on anything other than the marginals.

To be fair to both Labour & Conservative, it's difficult to see why they would even attempt to conduct an election campaign in any other way, given the present system.

MBTI
    ENTP

oh well its pretty much a done deal, it will be interesting to see how we get to a working majority. Ok so it is more interesting than a majority, but it means chaois for months and the likihood we will be back in election later in the year. What fun. In the meantime we can pretty much park any hope on improving the ecconomic recovery...

Ho ha happy days

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well, this sucks.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    oh well its pretty much a done deal, it will be interesting to see how we get to a working majority. Ok so it is more interesting than a majority, but it means chaois for months and the likihood we will be back in election later in the year. What fun. In the meantime we can pretty much park any hope on improving the ecconomic recovery...

Ho ha happy days
    Looks like you stayed up all night?

My bet: Labour and the Lib Dems try to strike up a deal; Gordon goes and is replaced by Milliband or Johnson in return for cabinet places for the Libs and a promise to change the voting system.

If labour cannot stike up a deal with Clegg, there will be a new election in the Autumn/Winter. Meanwhile the Tories will be claiming "moral victory" despite not actually getting the mandate required. Ironically the system that they proudly support is the one keeping them out of power.

Strange days - but the Europeans discovered consensus politics long ago, and it seems to work (even in Italy). Maybe the Brits are fed up with 2 party politics.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Looks like you stayed up all night?

My bet: Labour and the Lib Dems try to strike up a deal; Gordon goes and is replaced by Milliband or Johnson in return for cabinet places for the Libs and a promise to change the voting system.

If labour cannot stike up a deal with Clegg, there will be a new election in the Autumn/Winter. Meanwhile the Tories will be claiming "moral victory" despite not actually getting the mandate required. Ironically the system that they proudly support is the one keeping them out of power.

Strange days - but the Europeans discovered consensus politics long ago, and it seems to work (even in Italy). Maybe the Brits are fed up with 2 party politics.

You don't think the Lib Dems would try to form a government with the Tories?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm trying to work out weather a hung parliment would be better than a tory win. It's all terrible.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

whatever, it's not happening in america so it's clearly of no consequence
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    whatever, it's not happening in america so it's clearly of no consequence
    Which is why the US cant make or keep friends.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Its going to be a conservative government, I doubt it'll be hung parliament, may be minority government but still the tory Uruk-Hai have risen, only in England could they forget the last time so quickly when the harsh legacies are still being felt.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You don't think the Lib Dems would try to form a government with the Tories?
    You're up early Merc

The Lib Dems are a one trick pony: without changing the voting system to PR their 25% of the vote will never translate into more than a few dozen seats. The last thing the Tories want is PR; but Labour might do a deal. It's unlikely that the Tories would give the Lib Dems the kind of concrete assurances on amending the voting system they want and a few seats in a Tory cabinet is not likely to cut the mustard.

More likely the Tories will try to horse trade with the smaller parties. The problem is few of the smaller parties (apart from the DUP in Ulster) want any dealings with the them. It looks unlikely that the Welsh and Scottish nationalist would make deals with the old enemy; more likely that the Tories will hold out for a new election.

Even with a few dozen seats less than the Tories, Labour look more amicable to horse trading with the nationalists and cobbling together an unlikely and volatile majority. Fun times ahead.

My bet is that the Tories will regroup and try later.