User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Yea the proportion of vegitarian products sold in McD's in the UK are oober tiny like 1% (veggies avoid it because they think that McD's has shakey food providence and sustainability issues) hence it's perceived as a very carniverous type enviroment.

Massive difference between how the brad is perceived in the US versus various global markets - facinating to look at how the different cultures respond to it.... Presumably they had one hell of a job getting established in France.
    In Germany, I saw at least 30 people eating McDonald's outside in the town square on a nice day. It was bizarre. I'd never seen anything like that in the States. It just struck me as odd, because they push their healthier menu items so much nowadays. I also don't care for McDonald's, and their fries (totally vegetarian now) are the only item I would usually want. I don't think I've had a McDonald's burger in ten years.

And McDonald's had no problem getting people to buy their food. IIRC, France is the #2 country for revenue for McDonald's. They had a problem with scummy French politicians, subsidy-crazed farmers, and xenophobic protesters.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    ^ Cameron seems to me like an unnatural hybrid being, a sort of horrible mutated concoction created in a test tube from the febrile genetic leftovers of Bliar and Anthony Eden in an effort at creating the ideal modern Conservative leader. I bet if we investigated his history carefully and uncovered the truth, we'd find that he spent the first thirty or so years of his life in a sensory deprivation chamber learning proper comportment and memorising fatuous, politically correct cliches in preparation for his future starring role in the Brave New World Order. The real question for me is who could possibly be responsible for this unholy experiment in human cloning? If we could discover that we'd find who our new rulers really were.
    Thatcher. We voted her out, but no-one drove a stake through her heart.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its funny I'm exactly the opposite, I'd have supported conservative democrats, if they really where democrats and really where conervative.

The other approach, socially and fiscally liberal is pretty much everythings for sale, everything has its price, consumerism uber alas.
    So you'd prefer a country in which is everything is controlled? Sounds like what Britons have fought against for a thousand years.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    And McDonald's had no problem getting people to buy their food. IIRC, France is the #2 country for revenue for McDonald's. They had a problem with scummy French politicians, subsidy-crazed farmers, and xenophobic protesters.
    I used to work with leo burnett their ad agency and I seriously beg to differ, McD's had monumental issues flogging in to France in the first instance, until the changed their products to reflect the local market tastes.

The us market was top
    one of the Ashain country was second
    the UK and Germany vied for third place

It may have changed since then (it was about 5 years ago), France hated them at the time....

MBTI
    ENTP

What's that?

NI is funded differently to the UK since councils dont do much more than bin collection, the health and social services are a single entity (hence how Cameron could let on the english were paying through he nose for greater health services in NI) and housing, although there is little or no housing stock left, they no longer build and just decide which housing association to give money to, is an independent authority too.

We pay rates, national insurance, VAT at the point of sale, PAYE (pay as you earn) and income taxes.

Poll tax didn't go away, it was rebranded at community charge and paid that way... what a difference branding makes

Highly unlikely that the Tories will bring back the most unpopular tax on record. FYI if you call it a charge it's not perceived to be so bad

MBTI
    ESFJ

I used to work with leo burnett their ad agency and I seriously beg to differ, McD's had monumental issues flogging in to France in the first instance, until the changed their products to reflect the local market tastes.

The us market was top
    one of the Ashain country was second
    the UK and Germany vied for third place

It may have changed since then (it was about 5 years ago), France hated them at the time....
    France was #2 for revenue for McDonald's in 2008.

France surrenders, becomes McDonald's second largest source of cash outside U.S. - Posted

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Poll tax didn't go away, it was rebranded at community charge and paid that way... what a difference branding makes

Highly unlikely that the Tories will bring back the most unpopular tax on record. FYI if you call it a charge it's not perceived to be so bad
    Yeah, I figured it wouldnt go for good.

Having read a bit about what the possible next steps where if they have remained on course the poll tax was just the first step in some truly radical, like seriously radical, restructuring of the country, the UK could have been the first country to have a single tax and flat tax regime.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    LOL it too them some years to break the market, I can assure you when they went in it was a dissaster

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah, I figured it wouldnt go for good.

Having read a bit about what the possible next steps where if they have remained on course the poll tax was just the first step in some truly radical, like seriously radical, restructuring of the country, the UK could have been the first country to have a single tax and flat tax regime.
    There is no a cat in hells chance that there will be a single tax on UK citizens, it's on of the globes most complex tax environments. Think how nuts the population went over Poll tax, could you imagine what would happen if Income tax replaced national insurance - which people don't see as tax, and VAT etc etc.... NEVEr going to appen.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

There is no a cat in hells chance that there will be a single tax on UK citizens, it's on of the globes most complex tax environments. Think how nuts the population went over Poll tax, could you imagine what would happen if Income tax replaced national insurance - which people don't see as tax, and VAT etc etc.... NEVEr going to appen.
    I agree but that's how radical those guys were prepared to be, I dont think they've changed, even if they dont realise their ultimate objective its interesting because its the direction they want to be going in.