User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Well it looks like the Yellow Tories are putting the final seal on a backroom deal with the Blue Tories to attempt to form a coallition capable of fucking over the working people of their country, "stable government" in their terms.

Now over to the public sector workers, BA workers, postal workers, transport workers and local community anti-cuts campaigns, to make sure that although they can form a government, they can't impose their unelected agenda of "savage cuts".
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Well it looks like the Yellow Tories are putting the final seal on a backroom deal with the Blue Tories to attempt to form a coallition capable of fucking over the working people of their country, "stable government" in their terms.

Now over to the public sector workers, BA workers, postal workers, transport workers and local community anti-cuts campaigns, to make sure that although they can form a government, they can't impose their unelected agenda of "savage cuts".
    Unelected? This is how your system works, buddy.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Unelected? This is how your system works, buddy.
    My system?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

MBTI
    ENTP

game set and match to the Tories, Tory/Lib it is... details to be announced.... Cameron has been appointed PM

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

There's no need to rub it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Without one party clearly in power politics can get very slimey and unstable. Parties will do things that go against their agenda if it'll get their measures passed, and smaller groups put in positions to make or break a bill based on their vote can exert political power highly disproportionate to their size.

In Canada we've had a pretty stupid last few years with minority governments. The opposing parties basically ganged up on the largest group, which is perfectly within their rights, but they did it with such rabid favor that it was obvious they were placing a power grab above their own core values as a party. In the end their alliance failed as the emotional steam ran out and cooler heads considered, but it was a bloody circus.
    Small follow up to this - I think the minority parties considering alliances in these situations need to carefully consider the long term impact. Going back to my exaple in canada, some parties shifting their stances on issues in order to allow the alliance wound up upsetting their voter base. It undermines confidence in the party's stability and focus on their issues (ie. If I voted liberal because their views on abortion matched mine, I'd be rather upset if the liberal party decided to change their stance on abortion in mid-term).

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    There's no need to rub it in.
    awe big hugs

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I'm pissed off. So pissed off that I've gone to my "last resort" - finding a blog comment box to rant in. Possibly all night. In the way taxi drivers rant.

The last time I did that was over a year ago. Bad times.

MBTI
    NICE

Wonder how many Lib Dem voters did so to keep the Tories out... only for them to sign a pact.

Clegg's credibility is suspect, given that PR seems to have been brushed aside with a vague promise on a vote on AV, which the vast majority of Tories are against. Not sure that large swathes of the Lib Dem rank and file will be happy bunnies tonight.

It should be fun when the fighting starts, though.

So much for predictions.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Not too surprising an end result given the arithmetic of the situation. The biggest stumbling block was a Conservatie concession over PR, which they were clearly holding out on for as long as possible, doubtless to test LibDem resolve on the issue. I suspect that if Labour and the LibDems had had managed just a few more seats between them we'd have seen a minority coalition against the Conservatives though. There's little evidence of real support for Conservative policies even in the LibDem leadership; their grassroots membership seems strongly opposed to them, as we can presume were most of their voters. Divide et imperia is a principle that continues to serve the Conservatives well, however, as it always has. I doubt that they will be too concerned about conflict within their reluctant coalition partner's party while they are busy hanging on to power and using them to shore up their unpopular measures; it will just help to weaken their threat when the inevitable early election takes place.

It will be interesting, however to see how the Conservatives' last ditch PR offer works out in practice. It's probably secured this deal above everything else, but it could well prove that the LibDems have been somewhat duped by the apparent volte-face on PR. A straight AV system would be rather complex for voters (who are used to a very simple system here) and not do that much to address the current failure of the individual vote to count, as it is still a "winner takes all" system. Certainly the LibDems didn't want it, they preferred the STV, or if that wasn't possible, a modified form of AV with a proportional element.

We also know that the Conservatives are far less willing to accept electoral reform in principle than Labour (who were already considering the issue last year, around the time that Cameron firmly stated his opposition to it). By the time anything gets done about this referendum, I'm sure there'll be plenty of time and opportunity for the mostly Conservative controlled popular press to discredit the weak and voter-confusing form of PR that looks likely to be on offer, so a positive result is hardly a foregone conclusion. Especially if a lot of people are by then blaming the LibDems for keeping the Conservatives in power and forming negative associations between them and PR itself. Not exactly logical, but most people vote with their emotions and prejudices anyway, so this wouldn't be so surprising...

As bananatrombones says, it will be interesting to see the fighting start when it inevitably does. I'm not sure the LibDems have the stomach for it, or the ruthless instincts of the Conservatives, but we shall see. Hopefully the country doesn't get too screwed over in the meantime while they try to gloss over their differences. I'm trying to be optimistic here...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...