User Tag List

123 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Oklahoma doctors now allowed to withhold information from their patients

According to this article, physicians in Oklahoma are now protected from malpractice if they lie to or withhold information from their pregnant patients about the health of their unborn children. The implication being to prevent people from aborting a fetus with birth defects.

It seemed an interesting article (if somewhat melodramatic), particularly in light of this thread: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...rong-baby.html

The state of Oklahoma just decided, and by an appallingly high margin I might add, that a doctor is protected from being sued if he or she chooses not to tell a woman that the baby she is carrying has a birth defect.
    Under this new law, a doctor may withhold information, mislead or even blatantly lie to a pregnant woman and her partner about the health of their baby if the doctor so much as thinks that fetal test results would cause a woman to consider abortion.
    Because now, when a doctor says, "Everything looks fine," she has to wonder; does it really? Oklahoma politicians have now said that she can no longer count on the sacred trust that always existed between her and her doctor. A doctor may now lie to her face and, in doing so, deny a woman what is quite possibly the most important piece of information she will ever receive in her life.
    Doesn't every family have the right to the information that may help them decide the course of their future or the future of their child? According to the Oklahoma State Legislature, they no longer do.
    'Oklahoma, what have you done?' - CNN.com

Discuss.

Preferably without narrowing in on "is abortion good or bad", as we've had that chat many times before. Besides, I think this issue is interesting regardless of which side you're on. Perhaps there's more to this bill than described here?
    -end of thread-

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Abortion is bad.

But, yeah, it would be interesting to read a non-opinion piece on the matter. I can answer the question the editorial author asks though. No, every family does not have a RIGHT to information. It sure is good professional courtesy for them to have this information, but just as I've been reminding all those people in the health care debate who say "Health care is a right!" that it's not true by definition, similarly a doctor has a right to keep silent on anything he/she so chooses.

I think medical lawsuits are ridiculously out of control. Families of people who died of cancer have even sued doctors for not diagnosing it early enough. It's a wonder why anyone wants to become a doctor anymore.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Phantonym

There is seriously something wrong with the system when the most important thing to worry about is not the health and wellbeing of the patient (not just physically) but the protection of the doctor instead. It's the system that lets doctors be sued for ridiculous things and that such measures to fight against it have to be concocted. It's just sad.

I am pro-choice, I have no problem admitting that. It is definitely not an easy choice but there must be the right to choose. Choice involves being informed and it is a right in my opinion. Taking that away from people is a shame. Haven't we already been through this in the past? I seriously hope this doesn't go any further. We'll see...

MBTI
    ISFJ

This law is really stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I am pro-choice, I have no problem admitting that. It is definitely not an easy choice but there must be the right to choose. Choice involves being informed and it is a right in my opinion. Taking that away from people is a shame. Haven't we already been through this in the past? I seriously hope this doesn't go any further. We'll see...
    Everyone has a choice. To fuck or not to fuck, that is the question.

As far as non-consensual sex is concerned though, that is another matter altogether.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    But, yeah, it would be interesting to read a non-opinion piece on the matter. I can answer the question the editorial author asks though. No, every family does not have a RIGHT to information. It sure is good professional courtesy for them to have this information, but just as I've been reminding all those people in the health care debate who say "Health care is a right!" that it's not true by definition, similarly a doctor has a right to keep silent on anything he/she so chooses.
    Yeowch. Really? That's horrific. A doctor (like anyone else) has a right to keep silent, *as long as it's not in his professional capacity*. If I'm a patient, I deserve the truth, without reservation. Anything else *is* malpractice. No matter where you stand on the health care being a right issue (you probably already know that I highly disagree with you on that too, but it's not my point here ), however that care is provided, the provider has an obligation to be honest and complete in the diagnosis. If I go to you and hire you for your expert professional opinion, and you lie to me because you think I *might* use that information in a way that you don't approve of, that's simply not acceptable. If you don't want my business, you can refuse me as a client. But once you accept me, you're obligated to be a professional and fulfill your obligations.

I think medical lawsuits are ridiculously out of control. Families of people who died of cancer have even sued doctors for not diagnosing it early enough. It's a wonder why anyone wants to become a doctor anymore.
    I agree with you on this last part -- it's getting more and more difficult for doctors, especially when it comes to peaking insurance rates for malpractice. But the way to control that is most definitely not encouraging actual *intentional* malpractice. Yikes.

I've always been in agreement with Bill Clinton on the abortion issue - "Keep it legal, safe, and as rare as possible." It's not anybody's optimal situation, and I can understand why people could be opposed to keeping it legal (even if I disagree with them), but legalizing dishonesty in the practice of medicine is no good answer no matter which side of the issue you're on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Yeowch. Really? That's horrific. A doctor (like anyone else) has a right to keep silent, *as long as it's not in his professional capacity*. If I'm a patient, I deserve the truth, without reservation. Anything else *is* malpractice. No matter where you stand on the health care being a right issue (you probably already know that I highly disagree with you on that too, but it's not my point here ), however that care is provided, the provider has an obligation to be honest and complete in the diagnosis. If I go to you and hire you for your expert professional opinion, and you lie to me because you think I *might* use that information in a way that you don't approve of, that's simply not acceptable. If you don't want my business, you can refuse me as a client. But once you accept me, you're obligated to be a professional and fulfill your obligations.
    Yeah, Jeffster, wtf?
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

But, yeah, it would be interesting to read a non-opinion piece on the matter. I can answer the question the editorial author asks though. No, every family does not have a RIGHT to information.
    Would you view this differently if it was an auto mechanic lying about what was wrong with your car? That would be considered fraud.

It sure is good professional courtesy for them to have this information, but just as I've been reminding all those people in the health care debate who say "Health care is a right!" that it's not true by definition, similarly a doctor has a right to keep silent on anything he/she so chooses.
    You couldn't be more wrong (as usual). Doctors take an oath when they start practicing. An oath. This law gives doctors a legal avenue to break that oath.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

No, every family does not have a RIGHT to information. It sure is good professional courtesy for them to have this information, but just as I've been reminding all those people in the health care debate who say "Health care is a right!" that it's not true by definition, similarly a doctor has a right to keep silent on anything he/she so chooses.
    What? So you are comparing a doctor giving their patient all the information they can to the idiots saying health care is a right? I certainly hope you never find yourself in an early stage of cancer with a doctor who just doesn't think you need that info.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Regardless of one's stance on abortion we all should agree this law is ridiculous, with potentially fatal ramifications. Parents deserve to be informed on the health of their children. If a doctor refused to diagnose a child and the parents deliver somewhere with inadequate prenatal care the child could very likely die. Parents need the opportunity to get a support group and medical care lined up for their new child. Lying to parents doesn't make sense from a Pro-Life or Pro-Choice standpoint.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlila View Post
    Regardless of one's stance on abortion we all should agree this law is ridiculous, with potentially fatal ramifications.
    Agreed, assuming the law actually does what the OP says. I would like to see the legal language of this bill.