123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Default Can Someone Help Me Understand Why The President of Mexico Feels This Way?

Let me get this straight...the president of Mexico WANTS people to leave his country? He wants people to flee the nation over which he presides, and is condemning another country for not letting his people in illegally?

I'm not being sarcastic here. I am seriously like WTF.

Mexican president condemns Arizona immigrant law - Yahoo! News

I think this defies all logic. It is truly bizarre. I am a white resident of the United States and I can't even visit Canada for a few days without a passport and standing in immigration for an hour. I am sick and fucking tired of people playing the race card on this issue as if there's not other problems with illegal immigration.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

From what I've heard on that viewpoint held by many Mexican politicians, a lot of the desire to keep the border open for workers to come to the US to work is because most Mexicans who come to the US and work send A LOT of money home to their families, which helps support the economy of Mexico.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    From what I've heard on that viewpoint held by many Mexican politicians, a lot of the desire to keep the border open for workers to come to the US to work is because most Mexicans who come to the US and work send A LOT of money home to their families, which helps support the economy of Mexico.
    You're smiling about the tax-free money which gets sent home to Mexico?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

no... I'm smiling for a different reason

cross thread comparison here making me smile a little
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Whatever always smiles inappropriately. I think she's just trying to keep things friendly.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

^

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Mexicans work hard. I've worked with them before.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't see where Calderon said he wanted people to leave Mexico. I don't see anything wrong with his statements.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Mexicans work hard. I've worked with them before.
    Um, yeah, my ex is half Mexican and I've worked with lots of Mexicans myself. I'm not sure what this has to do with the negative consequences of illegal immigration. I really would love it if people would refrain from what I call "backwards racism" i.e. instead of hating on Mexicans, making categorical statements like "Mexicans work hard" because while that may be true in your experience, it does not apply to all Mexicans equally

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't see where Calderon said he wanted people to leave Mexico. I don't see anything wrong with his statements.
    But explain why.