User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

The consequences of illegal immigration are exaggerated. Some people need a scapegoat and illegal immigrants are convenient.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Um, yeah, my ex is half Mexican and I've worked with lots of Mexicans myself. I'm not sure what this has to do with the negative consequences of illegal immigration. I really would love it if people would refrain from what I call "backwards racism" i.e. instead of hating on Mexicans, making categorical statements like "Mexicans work hard" because while that may be true in your experience, it does not apply to all Mexicans equally
    Racism 101: Having a minority lover, friend, or family member doesn't mean you can't also have white preferences/prejudice/bias. I'm not saying you do, just that it's a poor defense.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

The people to target are those that employ illegal immigrants, not illegal immigrants.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's probably because the law will negatively affect Mexican people who are in AZ legally in addition to those in AZ illegally.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Racism 101: Having a minority lover, friend, or family member doesn't mean you can't also have white preferences/prejudice/bias. I'm not saying you do, just that it's a poor defense.
    Yeah, I've heard all of this shit before. Of course there's going to be lots of this, instead of people staying on topic.

Brilliant.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    The people to target are those that employ illegal immigrants, not illegal immigrants.
    You know what? I agree with you 100%.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yes. Those few in power don't want everyday people to realize their target is all wrong. I wonder why these scenarios keep playing out, and then I realize it's because it works so well. It's easy to pull the wool over the working and middle class eyes.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It's probably because the law will negatively affect Mexican people who are in AZ legally in addition to those in AZ illegally.
    I read a rather interesting article on the possible effect of the laws on spring training for baseball and how it's annoying team owners and such

the man has already told his friend who lives in Arizona that he's not going to visit for fear of deportation... and he's not even hispanic, everyone just thinks that he is

Calderon has shown concern for Mexicans who legally reside in the US in the past as well, so that reason wouldn't be particularly shocking.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    But explain why.
    Explain why I think his statements are reasonable? He's not saying anything different than what most other politicians have said on the matter.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I read a rather interesting article on the possible effect of the laws on spring training for baseball and how it's annoying team owners and such

the man has already told his friend who lives in Arizona that he's not going to visit for fear of deportation... and he's not even hispanic, everyone just thinks that he is
    I read about that too. Many legal mexicans and native americans are going to get caught up in this mess. The sad part is, I have a few half mexican friends that pass for white. They're so grateful they look white right now. I think it's messed up when people have to be grateful they don't look like who they identify with.