User Tag List

First 8910

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I love Mexican culture but we in California are getting invaded big time.

It wouldn't be so bad if not for the absence of significant motivation to assimilate into American culture. In the same vein as the desire to assimilate by other waves of immigrants throughout history. There are now two types of Californians; those who are assimilated and those who would rather pretend they were still in Mexico/Central America. There appears to be a trend where Americanized Californians are just simply invisible to the illegal immigrant who chose not to assimilate.

I don't know why the Feds chose not to protect the boarders (beyond politics). Why the fuck are we way over in Afghanistan/Iraq instead of protecting our borders. How come most other nationalities have to wait in line and follow the law when Mexico is able to come in illegally? Its not fair. Why are there not reciprocal rights for U.S. citizens in Mexico?

Regardless of how hard or not they are working, statistically they are draining the social services/welfare services/jails and prisons of the states and the Feds are not adequately compensating the states.

It is a total mess. Its not a race or ethnic problem its an invasion problem...similar to a war but not as many people are getting killed.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Riva

I have been to Mexico (one day trip). This I did when we came to California.

I think I should mention that Americans should allow Mexicans to cross the border and live there. The reason being Mexican women looks freaking hot. Nice racks they have.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

As the Argentinean singer Leon Gieco sang: "si tu quieres que vuelva otra vez donde naci/yo pido que tu empresa se vaya de mi pais/ y asi de sera de igual a igual"

The President of Meico doesn't "feel" any way. I doubt he could care less, he is a technocrat. But popular pressure forces him to give some token opposition the attempts by the US elite to scapegoat Mexicans for their own fucking up of the economy.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    It wouldn't be so bad if not for the absence of significant motivation to assimilate into American culture. In the same vein as the desire to assimilate by other waves of immigrants throughout history.
    There are now two types of Californians; those who are assimilated and those who would rather pretend they were still in Mexico/Central America.
    What about Californians who originally came from the Phillipines? Vietnam? China? Korea? Pakistan? Afghanistan? Texas?

Should they pretend they're still in Mexico?

There appears to be a trend where Americanized Californians are just simply invisible to the illegal immigrant who chose not to assimilate.
    I don't see that trend.

How come most other nationalities have to wait in line and follow the law when Mexico is able to come in illegally? Its not fair.
    So illegal immigration is unfair because other nationalities don't get to come in as quick as the Mexicans?

Seriously though, I think the answer is rather obvious. Mexico is closer than other countries.

Why are there not reciprocal rights for U.S. citizens in Mexico?
    Can't say. Is there anyone well acquainted with immigration laws in Mexico?

Regardless of how hard or not they are working, statistically they are draining the social services/welfare services/jails and prisons of the states and the Feds are not adequately compensating the states.
    Sources?

Just so you know, many undocumented immigrants have a strong aversion towards welfare. It's frowned upon since by many since it implies that the breadwinner isn't doing his job, and Mexico has this macho complex in its culture (i.e. "What kind of a man are you if you need handouts?"). Not to mention that there is a lot of fear about using state services (fear of getting deported)

As for social services and prisons in California- they're fucked and it's not because of the "illegals".

And as for adequate compensation, they (the undocumented) still buy things, no? They pay sales tax. They pay property taxes (via rent) When they cross bridges, they pay the toll. They use public transit.

They provide comparatively cheaper labor which means consumers pay lower costs for services in gardening/landscaping, construction, renovation, food, etc.

They fill out labor shortages in health care and elder care. 2/3 of undocumented immigrants pay medicare, medicaid, social security and recieve nothing back. In California the number of undocumented immigrants is something around 2.6 million and these 2.6 million paid $90 billion in taxes and only received $5 billion back in services .

I think they adequately compensated the state, burdens that they are.

It is a total mess. Its not a race or ethnic problem its an invasion problem...similar to a war but not as many people are getting killed.

mmm.

some sources:

study on immigrants and occupational diversity

interesting blurb on "illegals" paying social security

Best Link of all these

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nomorenames View Post
    What about Californians who originally came from the Phillipines? Vietnam? China? Korea? Pakistan? Afghanistan?

Texas?

Can't say. Is there anyone well acquainted with immigration laws in Mexico?
    1.) Their numbers and cohesion are far less, making integration and cross-assimilation less problematic. They also don't come from a country directly across the border with a long history of irredentist territorial conflict with the United States, which introduces the prospect of "divided allegiance" (not to be confused with dual citizenship). The most iconic illustration of this were those marches in support of citizenship for illegal immigrations in which the demonstrators raised Mexican flags.

2.) There is no legitimate purpose to mentioning Texas; all similarities which citizens of Texas and California share (a shared "American" identity through common loyalties and ideals, cemented through integration and adoption of a common language) is the same that all immigrants are expected to have/adopt and bring up their children with. All other cultural differences are irrelevant, in both cases.

3.) I know enough to know that indignation on the part of Mexican officials is absurdly hypocritical: Immigration to Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All that said, draconian border laws have largely backfired; migrant workers who used to travel back and forth from their families and their jobs reacted by taking their families with them and living precariously and apart from American citizens while birthing children with American citizenship but lacking adequate socialization into American life. The problem has snow-balled from there.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    3.) I know enough to know that indignation on the part of Mexican officials is absurdly hypocritical: Immigration to Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It makes the Mexican government hypocritical. But all governments arehypocritical. The real indignation comes from the Mexican people, whohave every right to be indignant.

For decades the US ruling class has preached to them the free movement of (its) capital, making megaprofits out of Mexico.

For decades the US ruling class has been happy to make profits out of cheap Mexican labour.

But yet it refuses the free movement of labour.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Oberon

Our problem is caused by two failures:

1. Our failure to draft and administer reasonable immigration laws.
    2. Immigrants' failure to follow the laws currently in force.

I have no problem with immigration per se, but I very much prefer that it be legal.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    1.) Their numbers and cohesion are far less, making integration and cross-assimilation less problematic. They also don't come from a country directly across the border with a long history of irredentist territorial conflict with the United States, which introduces the prospect of "divided allegiance" (not to be confused with dual citizenship). The most iconic illustration of this were those marches in support of citizenship for illegal immigrations in which the demonstrators raised Mexican flags.
    I interpreted the choice to raise the Mexican flag as a way of illustrating just how many Mexicans there were and how they wanted to be a part of the US, but still weren't given citizenship (thus unable to raise the US flag)

I'll dig around to see what organizers and participants intended to say.

The integration is problematic, but the bigger problem is an institutional/systemic one. I think that when immigrants fresh from their country can't go to work in the formal economy (where they have a chance to become culturally acclimated and sufficiently socialized) they become a part of the "ghettoized/informal" economy (essentially workers for hire who remain apart from the culture at large.)

2.) There is no legitimate purpose to mentioning Texas; all similarities which citizens of Texas and California share (a shared "American" identity through common loyalties and ideals, cemented through integration and adoption of a common language) is the same that all immigrants are expected to have/adopt and bring up their children with. All other cultural differences are irrelevant, in both cases.
    That part of my response was facetious

Personally, the indignation of Mexican officials is irrelevant. I think the indignation of the actual immigrants who are facing backlash is more important.

All that said, draconian border laws have largely backfired; migrant workers who used to travel back and forth from their families and their jobs reacted by taking their families with them and living precariously and apart from American citizens while birthing children with American citizenship but lacking adequate socialization into American life. The problem has snow-balled from there.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Our problem is caused by two failures:

1. Our failure to draft and administer reasonable immigration laws.
    2. Immigrants' failure to follow the laws currently in force.

I have no problem with immigration per se, but I very much prefer that it be legal.

I think it's absurdly hilarious that people try to legislate the movement of people, when the main causes behind it are social and economic forces that are beyond the power of our legal institutions to affect.
    Last edited by Nomorenames; 05-31-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: oops, forgot to add something

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    The sad part is, I have a few half mexican friends that pass for white.
    Pass for? Racial classification in the US is idiotic. If you pass for white, you're white - otherwise, nobody would be white.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Nomorenames View Post
    I think it's absurdly hilarious that people try to legislate the movement of people, when the main causes behind it are social and economic forces that are beyond the power of our legal institutions to affect.
    Yeah? Try wandering down into Sonora and starting your own business. You'll find that the Mexicans do a very good job of it.