Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I wonder if my accent would sound strange in the Deep South or Asia or the Middle East? I loved on South Park when they had the Asians making fun of Americans' accents. "Do you have any non-dairy creamer?"
    Yes, talking like a Californian sounds very strange to people in the deep South. When I lived out West for seven years and went back home my mother said I talked too fast, called me an "Okie", and other people made comments about certain words I said.

And I'm someone who still has a mild Southern accent...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    George Bush with his accent and poor grasp of grammar was more than good enough to become president. Twice. Why are teachers expected more of?
    Because they teach language, not politics.

I grew up in Texas and went to private schools.
    I'm not surprised that you went to private schools. You seem pretty elitist and judgemental, despite your supposed devotion to eradicating inequality. I've found that this isn't unusual in upper and upper-middle class people who go around squawking racism.

Sure, I think low class is just as bad as being non-white. It still doesn't mean you really understand, because we wouldn't even be having this conversation about why blacks felt that way if you did.
    I love how you call it "low class."

And, no, absorbing hostility and hatred toward whites on a constant basis isn't just because I don't understand how it feels to be black...it really swings too much in the other direction. Racism goes both ways. It's fashionable to hate white people these days, and prejudice against working class Southerners seems to be the last acceptable form of bigotry. The fact that so many people are incapable of examining that as a seperate issue (or illegal immigration as a seperate issue from being racially Mexican) makes me wonder about the intelligence of many academics and intellectuals. In the past year I've really been starting to perceive a ridiculous knee-jerk bias that borders on religious brainwashing.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yes, talking like a Californian sounds very strange to people in the deep South. When I lived out West for seven years and went back home my mother said I talked too fast, called me an "Okie", and other people made comments about certain words I said.

And I'm someone who still has a mild Southern accent...
    I have very few traces of a Philadelphian accent. Most of my Philadelphian friends think I do NOT sound like I am from there, and two people in L.A. have asked me if I were British. I can't wait for the SoCal Meetup, so people can put a face and a voice for the jerk they know online.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I have very few traces of a Philadelphian accent. Most of my Philadelphian friends think I do NOT sound like I am from there, and two people in L.A. have asked me if I were British. I can't wait for the SoCal Meetup, so people can put a face and a voice for the jerk they know online.
    LMAO @ asking if you're British!!!

As for putting a face and a voice with "the jerk"....I'd rather just ask you about your collection of 80's music than discuss politics.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    LMAO @ asking if you're British!!!

As for putting a face and a voice with "the jerk"....I'd rather just ask you about your collection of 80's music than discuss politics.
    I was actually JUST holding forth to my friend about the similarity in vocal tone of Anand Wilder of Yeasayer and Nick Heyward of Haircut 100. I am a dork.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I was actually JUST holding forth to my friend about the similarity in vocal tone of Anand Wilder of Yeasayer and Nick Heyward of Haircut 100. I am a dork.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Should just pass out these badges at the border:

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Modern English speakers would think Shakespeare had a strong accent.
    Except these people, probably.

The famous Globe Shakespeare company here in the UK has incorporated these, now American, sounds into at least one of their productions because they believe the dialogue works best when pronounced as originally intended. The above accent sounds very similar to Cornish, although Shakespeare's accent also had features now associated with Yorkshire and the Midlands. All very rhotic, at any rate, unlike how most modern Shakespeare productions have been done (with Received Pronunciation). Shakespeare certainly did not discriminate against Rs just because of where they happened to be placed in a word. He'd be more at home lingustically in many parts of the USA than in upper middle class English environments.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Thou mammering hedge-born hugger-mugger!
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    GONE

Where'd dat Americun acksunt bideo go?

That was funny and SPOT ON!!

The only point about 'English teachers' and accents that I have is it would make more sense to me if Americans in general seemed to care, at all, about proper grammar, spelling, and their own speaking accents. As has been pointed out, just because you are born in the US and 'non ethnic white' does not mean you have mastery of the language.

So the contention is that 'proper accent' in this case is just a not so thinly veiled criticism of anything outside of non-white middle class middle American standard. Period. So yes, it has racial as well as class overtones.

As far as the mechanics of language acquisition, just because one of your English teachers has an accent doesn't mean you will pick it up or absorb it. If you live in America, you are bombarded and surrounded by millions of English speakers and hear all kinds of voices and accents in media as well as real life.

If you spoke another language first or grew up with a thick regional accent, you are NEVER going to be able to scrub 100% the overlay of that language.

Maybe with a speech pathologist or dialect coach you can fake it or cover it sometimes (like the guy who plays "House") but in general it's rare you will be able to change 100% your accent (also, look at Pygmalion as another example :P)

Having 1 English teacher for roughly 1 hour a day, 3-5 days a week, for 1 semester (or maybe 2/3 of the year depending on what grade you are in) is not going to make a big dent in your accent, especially if their time is split between you and 25-35 other students. And you aren't even practicing speaking drills the entire time. The only way to improve your accent is to continue to practice speaking, and again, that's probably not going to happen with your public school English teacher.

If the English teacher just doesn't have a mastery of the language, yes, that's an issue.

But, again, accents exist regardless of mastery of language. An accent by itself is no indication of anything other than the person in question has a different first language or grew up with a regional accent.

And if sloppy English and an accent is good enough for a former President (or 2 or 3) why is a problem for the rest of America?

If you can become president (no matter what your race, creed, or gender) with sloppy English, why you gotsa learn it goode?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari