User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 195

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    This is my opinion of the "white privilege" concept:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...4-post129.html

    I'm not very impressed with the paradigm, though I've been exposed to it often enough. By your logic, no one in the United States has need of or interests in "civics" classes, "American Literature" classes (that was English 102 for me, it was the first time I even read the Federalist Papers-which, along with the most notable "anti-Federalist" articles, should have been required reading in high-school!!), or "American History" classes.
    I didn't say anything about history, which everyone needs to learn. I'm not sure what the state board of education's stance is going to be on that. I'm referring to culture and language specifically. I also said less need, not zero need.

  2. #62
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Which groups listed on their website are not actually hate groups? How are you certain he doesn't have ties to the white nationalist or nazi movement? Can you say with surety the same for other people affiliated with the bill?
    They list many traditionalist Catholic organizations as hate groups, for instance. And Rushton is currently a professor at the University of Western Ontario. I am not going to defend his research, as I haven't gone over his studies at all, but I know he has been accused of giving aid to racists by studying intelligence and race. I have never heard of his actually being a member of a White Nationalist or Nazi movement. The onus would be on you to provide that material. I can't prove a negative here. And why would I have to say with certainty that other people affiliated are racists? That has NO bearing whatsoever regarding the rightness or wrongness of legislation. Just because a racist supports something doesn't mean that thing is bad automatically. Racists supported health care reform, and racists attacked health care reform. Does that affect whether it was a good idea? Of course not. The whole line of posting reeks of ad hominem.

    Oh, and I can't stand what is going on in Arizona right now.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  3. #63
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    George Bush with his accent and poor grasp of grammar was more than good enough to become president. Twice. Why are teachers expected more of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Should we also apply this reasoning to science?
    Everyone knows that the ultimate responsibility of the president is correct grammar. Ineffectual presidencies start with poor grammar.

  4. #64
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    I wonder if my accent would sound strange in the Deep South or Asia or the Middle East? I loved on South Park when they had the Asians making fun of Americans' accents. "Do you have any non-dairy creamer?"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #65
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I wonder if my accent would sound strange in the Deep South or Asia or the Middle East? I loved on South Park when they had the Asians making fun of Americans' accents. "Do you have any non-dairy creamer?"
    Naturally it would. Everyone has an accent. It is normal to its region. It will sound strange beyond that.

    The only reason it's so common that people say I don't have an accent is because mine is the one they teach news anchors and other media personalities at speech school. But that's just in North America. A Brit or an Australian will certainly think I have an odd way of saying things.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  6. #66
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Naturally it would. Everyone has an accent. It is normal to its region. It will sound strange beyond that.

    The only reason it's so common that people say I don't have an accent is because mine is the one they teach news anchors and other media personalities at speech school. But that's just in North America. A Brit or an Australian will certainly think I have an odd way of saying things.

    In England, everyone could understand me when I spoke, but some of them were near-incomprehensible to me.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  7. #67
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    In England, everyone could understand me when I spoke, but some of them were near-incomprehensible to me.
    This is because American media will sell itself wherever it has a market.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  8. #68
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Maybe I missed something??

    The article talks about a law that seems to be designed to promote equality and unity for ALL.

    As for teaching a language, I am not sure legislation is required, but it makes sense that one ought to be able to properly pronounce the words they are trying to teach. This is no way reflects the intelligence of a person or how well they know a language. Pronunciation is integral in meaning and mispronunciation can change the meaning of a word.
    I like clean sheets on my bed VS I like clean shits on my bed.

    Also I know the "TH" sound is awkward for many tongues and not used sound in most languages. But it is still part of English and It makes sense if someone is teaching me to say "the" instead of "Da" or "Ze/Za".
    I'm inclined to agree, why is legislation needed? How did we manage before without the legislation?

  9. #69
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Meanwhile, in a move that was more covert until the Wall Street Journal uncovered it, the Arizona Department of Education has told schools that teachers with "heavy" or "ungrammatical" accents are no longer allowed to teach English classes.
    I would hope that someone who teaches English would have his grammar together in the first place.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  10. #70
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Americans have long abused and forgotten the queen's english. Don't forget what the rest of the world thinks of your good ole mericun english.

    YouTube - What American English sounds like to non-English speakers
    Hey thanks for the link. That will help me polish my American accent. I'm pretty good at impersonating accents, except an American accent, which is quite frustrating. I'm thinking that's because I don't see American accent as an accent at all, so I am having difficulties narrowing it down.

    Stupid fucking eastern block "ungrammatical speech impediment" ruining my cover :steam:
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Similar Threads

  1. No Girls Allowed
    By wolfy in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 02:03 AM
  2. No Boys Allowed
    By Soar337 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 04:58 AM
  3. There is no such thing as personality.
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 10:13 AM
  4. There's no such thing as motivating someone?
    By Xander in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO