User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    In my experience, English classes in English-speaking countries are not so much about speaking the language, anyway, so I don't see why the accent would be so important. If it's about the grammar, I can't think of anyone who speaks with perfect grammar anyway.
    This is pretty much what I was thinking as well. The French class example doesn't really carry over, since French class in the US is not at all comparable to English class in the US.

Modern English speakers would think Shakespeare had a strong accent.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    sorry... that's William Safire... when not writing conservative political commentary and political speeches, he wrote columns on the usage and etymology of the English language!

oooh... that's mostly farther northern midwesterners than here (we make fun of people from the Chicago area for that )... you get a milder version of the Kentucky accent in the rural lower midwest sometimes

But like I said earlier in the thread (it was ignored then) what's the difference between having someone with a strong regional accent in English teach grammar than having someone with another accent teach it? We learn most of our pronounciations from TV anymore anyways apparently
    Ah! You did that "anymore" thing! That's weird.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

BTW it's fine to end sentences with prepositions.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah, I TOTALLY shouldn't teach english!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    This is getting beyond ridiculous, and making me rethink my attendance at ASU.
    Students are leaving already. Mostly honors level. Some people that have been accepted, are also saying they won't go anymore.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Oh this is rich. I'm going to protest the church at ASU shouting YOU'RE SUBVERTING THE US GOVERNMENT! HIS KINGDOM WILL HAVE NO END, INDEED!

Ahahahahahahaha. How the fuck can I take this shit seriously?
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I feel like people are playing dumb here. Do we need to entertain this cluster of alternate possibilities when it is pretty damn obvious that what is happening here is an enaction of chauvinism and xenophobia?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The Pioneer Fund was set up in the '30s and it's run by J. Phillippe Rushton. He is actually not a Nazi, but his views on race are troubling. The Pioneer Fund has provided money for major sociological work like The Bell Curve, though. The Southern Poverty Law Center is too free with their labeling of some organizations as hate groups. And Rachel Maddow is pretty silly.
    Pretty silly, but onto something like usual.

You realize white nationalists hate ethnic minorities, gays, jews, and non-christians in general? They're nazi sympathizers to boot. I realize it might scare people to think there are people like this having a hand in racist laws, but it is what is.

The Fund gave the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) a total of $1.3 million between 1985 and 1994.[18] Among the grants was $150,000 for 'studies in connection with immigration policies'.[19] Funding was dropped after negative publicity during the campaign for California's Proposition 187 linked the Pioneer Fund to ads purchased by FAIR.[20][21] Other immigration reduction groups that have received donations from the Pioneer Fund include ProjectUSA, Californians for Population Stabilization,[22] and American Immigration Control Foundation.[23]

A minor grantee is the paleoconservative and white nationalist journalist Jared Taylor, the editor of American Renaissance and a member the advisory board of the white nationalist publication the Occidental Quarterly.[24] Many of the key academic white nationalists in both Right Now! and American Renaissance have been funded by the Pioneer Fund, which was also directly involved in funding the parent organization of American Renaissance, the New Century Foundation.[15]

In addition to the funding and the connections to persons and organizations mentioned above, there are reported links between various past contributors to the science journal Mankind Quarterly, which receives funding from Pioneer, and Nazism. Italian biologist and Mankind Quarterly associate editor Corrado Gini authored an article titled "The Scientific Basis of Fascism" and was once a scientific advisor to Italian leader Benito Mussolini. The editorial board member Otmar Freiherr von Verschuer was Josef Mengele's mentor before and during the Holocaust and is suspected of being his collaborator.[25][26][27] The already mentioned Roger Pearson was a former editor.

Pioneer Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    White supremacy and racism give non-whites a sense of victimhood. Not classes which are mainly filled by white people. Someone already affiliated with a certain culture or language, is going to have less need of a class on it. Or do you think the mexicans they're targeting need spanish and mexican culture classes?

YouTube - Tim Wise-The Pathology of White Privilege Part 1/6
    This is my opinion of the "white privilege" concept:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...4-post129.html

I'm not very impressed with the paradigm, though I've been exposed to it often enough. By your logic, no one in the United States has need of or interests in "civics" classes, "American Literature" classes (that was English 102 for me, it was the first time I even read the Federalist Papers-which, along with the most notable "anti-Federalist" articles, should have been required reading in high-school!!), or "American History" classes.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    George Bush with his accent and poor grasp of grammar was more than good enough to become president. Twice. Why are teachers expected more of?
    Should we also apply this reasoning to science?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."