User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Speech impediment is hardly the same thing as a person with an accent, which as Hap pointed out everyone has. You're implying that someone born with a defect is on par with someone that knows english as a second language.

Americans have long abused and forgotten the queen's english. Don't forget what the rest of the world thinks of your good ole mericun english.

YouTube - What American English sounds like to non-English speakers
    Considering the far reaches of the British Empire, would they allow a Belizean or Jamaican teach English?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Considering the far reaches of the British Empire, would they allow a Belizean or Jamaican teach English?
    If it was really about speaking English... I think it's safe to say it's not.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Speech impediment is hardly the same thing as a person with an accent, which as Hap pointed out everyone has. You're implying that someone born with a defect is on par with someone that knows english as a second language.

Americans have long abused and forgotten the queen's english. Don't forget what the rest of the world thinks of your good ole mericun english.

YouTube - What American English sounds like to non-English speakers
    I don't think many "good" schools outside of the South would want to hire someone with a thick Southern accent to teach language. Accents aren't just from other countries you know. I've always found a Bronx accent particularly obnoxious, kind of like your condecending attitude.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Was that your first time being surrounded by so many minorities? Being black in America is outside of your experience right? Did you not stop to think why they might have that problem?
    No, as a matter of fact it wasn't. I'm 30 years old and have lived in urban areas for most of my adult life. I'm also a working class female who was born in a poor rural area, so believe me when I say I understand feeling victimized, while I'll never know what it feels like to be black.

Your attitude is terrible.

MBTI
    ENFJ

In my experience, English classes in English-speaking countries are not so much about speaking the language, anyway, so I don't see why the accent would be so important. If it's about the grammar, I can't think of anyone who speaks with perfect grammar anyway.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    In my experience, English classes in English-speaking countries are not so much about speaking the language, anyway, so I don't see why the accent would be so important. If it's about the grammar, I can't think of anyone who speaks with perfect grammar anyway.

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

I don't understand your wry picture reference.

Midwesterners love to end sentences with prepositions. Apparently this is a horrible, horrible thing to do, but that's their problem.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

sorry... that's William Safire... when not writing conservative political commentary and political speeches, he wrote columns on the usage and etymology of the English language!

oooh... that's mostly farther northern midwesterners than here (we make fun of people from the Chicago area for that )... you get a milder version of the Kentucky accent in the rural lower midwest sometimes

But like I said earlier in the thread (it was ignored then) what's the difference between having someone with a strong regional accent in English teach grammar than having someone with another accent teach it? We learn most of our pronounciations from TV anymore anyways apparently
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFJ

I guess this means no more theology classes, as it promotes Christian solidarity and promotes the overthrow of the US government in favor of the Kingdom of the Father whose kingdom shall have no end.

This is getting beyond ridiculous, and making me rethink my attendance at ASU.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I don't think many "good" schools outside of the South would want to hire someone with a thick Southern accent to teach language. Accents aren't just from other countries you know. I've always found a Bronx accent particularly obnoxious, kind of like your condecending attitude.
    George Bush with his accent and poor grasp of grammar was more than good enough to become president. Twice. Why are teachers expected more of?

I grew up in Texas and went to private schools. Eventually an early college program. Almost everyone, including teachers had a thick accent.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    No, as a matter of fact it wasn't. I'm 30 years old and have lived in urban areas for most of my adult life. I'm also a working class female who was born in a poor rural area, so believe me when I say I understand feeling victimized, while I'll never know what it feels like to be black.

Your attitude is terrible.
    Sure, I think low class is just as bad as being non-white. It still doesn't mean you really understand, because we wouldn't even be having this conversation about why blacks felt that way if you did.