User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    If they got more inclusive history books for primary and secondary schools it wouldn't really be a problem- our history books looked primarily at white men and our teacher had to drag up supplimental information for us to know what was going on with other groups at the time at all... ethnic studies in college is great! I took a good number of classes in that category and didn't feel the slightest bit marginalized just because I'm white
    It looks like they also taught you how to be condescending. Of all the arguments you could have used, this emotionally based argument is one of the worst.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I think you misread me there...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Maybe I missed something??

The article talks about a law that seems to be designed to promote equality and unity for ALL.

As for teaching a language, I am not sure legislation is required, but it makes sense that one ought to be able to properly pronounce the words they are trying to teach. This is no way reflects the intelligence of a person or how well they know a language. Pronunciation is integral in meaning and mispronunciation can change the meaning of a word.
    I like clean sheets on my bed VS I like clean shits on my bed.

Also I know the "TH" sound is awkward for many tongues and not used sound in most languages. But it is still part of English and It makes sense if someone is teaching me to say "the" instead of "Da" or "Ze/Za".
    Yep, I know a woman who went to college for French and wasn't allowed to teach French because of her speech impediment. You have to be able to clearly pronounce a language to teach it to others.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I think you misread me there...
    Your statement implies that others must feel marginalized. That's condescending.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

no- I wasn't implying that at all... I'm saying if more people took the classes as opposed to just argued about them they'd realize that they're really not militant and marginalizing
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Or do "ethnic studies" classes generally have the effect (intended or otherwise) of promoting cultural separatism and feelings of victimhood among current minority groups? This entire debate revolves around whether one thinks its best to promote a "melting pot" identity in which cross-assimilation through integration and inter-marriage and through a shared set of civic loyalties and ideals is best, or whether promoting a "salad-bowl" identity is best.
    White supremacy and racism give non-whites a sense of victimhood. Not classes which are mainly filled by white people. Someone already affiliated with a certain culture or language, is going to have less need of a class on it. Or do you think the mexicans they're targeting need spanish and mexican culture classes?

YouTube - Tim Wise-The Pathology of White Privilege Part 1/6

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The Pioneer Fund was set up in the '30s and it's run by J. Phillippe Rushton. He is actually not a Nazi, but his views on race are troubling. The Pioneer Fund has provided money for major sociological work like The Bell Curve, though. The Southern Poverty Law Center is too free with their labeling of some organizations as hate groups. And Rachel Maddow is pretty silly.
    Which groups listed on their website are not actually hate groups? How are you certain he doesn't have ties to the white nationalist or nazi movement? Can you say with surety the same for other people affiliated with the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yep, I know a woman who went to college for French and wasn't allowed to teach French because of her speech impediment. You have to be able to clearly pronounce a language to teach it to others.
    Speech impediment is hardly the same thing as a person with an accent, which as Hap pointed out everyone has. You're implying that someone born with a defect is on par with someone that knows english as a second language.

Americans have long abused and forgotten the queen's english. Don't forget what the rest of the world thinks of your good ole mericun english.

YouTube - What American English sounds like to non-English speakers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

no- I wasn't implying that at all... I'm saying if more people took the classes as opposed to just argued about them they'd realize that they're really not militant and marginalizing
    I don't see what feeling marginalized has to do with this subject, whatsoever. The people who oppose studying other cultures are usually ignorant or stupid.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

the university that I went to is a globalized learning school due to it being a historically black college...I think that's great, and I think it made the history classes much more accurate, but after about three years it started to get a bit like "hate on whitey" ...and I was UBER LIBERAL before I started college

MBTI
    INxJ

the university that I went to is a globalized learning school due to it being a historically black college...I think that's great, and I think it made the history classes much more accurate, but after about three years it started to get a bit like "hate on whitey" ...and I was UBER LIBERAL before I started college
    Was that your first time being surrounded by so many minorities? Being black in America is outside of your experience right? Did you not stop to think why they might have that problem?

It's usually not an issue with individual white people, but a marxist like system which breeds racism and makes people feel powerless.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't see what feeling marginalized has to do with this subject, whatsoever. The people who oppose studying other cultures are usually ignorant or stupid.
    I was merely addressing those who had brought it up earlier

I never encountered the hate on whitey attitude, though I went to a pretty mixed university- we had a ton of international students as well, which always gave an even more unique spin on the cultural classes