First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This is nonsense. What happens with the minority group member is the one with the intolerant attitude? Should a white person shut up and listen then, since the minority member AUTOMATICALLY knows more about racial issues than they do? Preposterous.
    Preposterous & nonsensical? No. You could try reading the article I linked to. Macon D gives good analysis on the issue. However somehow I get the feeling you won't bother.

BTW, racism isn't just intolerance. You're ignoring the power relationship/the "racial system" that promotes white supremacy.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Preposterous & nonsensical? No. You could try reading the article I linked to. Macon D gives good analysis on the issue. However somehow I get the feeling you won't bother.
    Which article? The guilt trip by the academic, or the blog post by the idiot? They were both awful. As a matter of fact, Stuff White People Do is a pretty racist blog.

BTW, racism isn't just intolerance. You're ignoring the power relationship/the "racial system" that promotes white supremacy.
    Well, racism is not the same as bigotry (although there is a connection). Racism is not what you are trying to make into, though. Racism holds that race is a determining factor of the abilities and character traits of individuals. So, are you suggesting that minorities cannot be racists?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Which article? The guilt trip by the academic, or the blog post by the idiot? They were both awful. As a matter of fact, Stuff White People Do is a pretty racist blog.
    So... no, I guess you didn't read it. And I am beyond shocked about that!

So, are you suggesting that minorities cannot be racists?
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm suggesting. Minorities can be prejudiced towards whites and even themselves but not racist.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm confused. I think I just heard on NPR that "ethnic studies classes will still be allowed if they are open to everyone," and I don't really have a problem with that. I don't really mind clubs and such being solely for minority groups, but classes? I took some ethnic studies classes in college and they were pretty eye-opening. I honestly didn't know there were places where those classes were only open to people of the specific ethnicity being studied.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFJ

They've got club membership and reap many of the benefits of racial privilege. They're white.
    All Jews are White? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm confused. I think I just heard on NPR that "ethnic studies classes will still be allowed if they are open to everyone," and I don't really have a problem with that. I don't really mind clubs and such being solely for minority groups, but classes? I took some ethnic studies classes in college and they were pretty eye-opening. I honestly didn't know there were places where those classes were only open to people of the specific ethnicity being studied.
    I know, I never really understood why only women took women's studies. I mean, they're already women, so those classes wouldn't have much to teach them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I know, I never really understood why only women took women's studies. I mean, they're already women, so those classes wouldn't have much to teach them.
    I learned a lot in womens' studies classes, but it wouldn't make sense for them to be open only to women, IMO.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I learned a lot in womens' studies classes, but it wouldn't make sense for them to be open only to women, IMO.
    I mean, if men always complain how impossible women are to understand, why not take a class? You know. Always seemed like the wrong people were taking it.

MBTI
    ESFJ

So... no, I guess you didn't read it. And I am beyond shocked about that!
    Which was it? Re-post the link. I read both of the links you embedded in your one response.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm suggesting. Minorities can be prejudiced towards whites and even themselves but not racist.
    And that is absolutely wrong. Sorry, you've lost all credibility with that statement.

racism - Wiktionary

1. The belief that each race has distinct and intrinsic attributes.
    2. The belief that one race is superior to all others.
    3. Prejudice or discrimination based upon race.

If you believe that minorities cannot hold those types of beliefs, then you are out of your mind. You don't get to re-define racism to fit your agenda.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Oberon

You should try living in Japan for a while. I fear that you would find that there is also a racial system that promotes yellow supremacy.