User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Making Babies With only 2 Moms or 3 parents - Medical Realities!!!

I'd always heard rumors that you could use 2 women's eggs to make a baby without sperm. I took it for granted in my lifetime this would become more widespread, like test tube babies.

On initial internet search, there seems to be more than one method to achieve the same end - which is to conceive a child with just 2 eggs.

One method

Another method

I thought this was more of a current events topic but I will move this to 'sexuality' if the conversation goes into that territory.

Personally, if it is medically sound and safe I am excited about the prospect of having kids with my (future, hypothetical) female partner that are biologically both ours. Very excited.

And otherwise, there are LOTS of questions, ethical and otherwise, being raised.

:edit: As others have pointed it, this also leads to the possibility of children born of 3 parents/DNA donors as well as genetically modified 'super healthy' babies.
    Last edited by CzeCze; 04-30-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: reflect merge
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I just skimmed, but a daughter would be the only possible outcome of a lesbian couple, correct? Gay men can have either/or...I think.

This is cool though. More research has to be done on sharks and the whole parthenogenesis thing they've got going on though too, I'm sure we'd find a lot of answers there.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm wary of humans having control in the area of reproduction. On the surface, it sounds like a good thing, but as a species, we have a poor track record on this issue.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

This makes me sad.

Pretty much all I've got to say about this on a serious note, on a less serious note there's a utopian novel based upon a society which has had a couple hundred years of this, its peopled completely by women and called Herland.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This makes me sad.

Pretty much all I've got to say about this on a serious note, on a less serious note there's a utopian novel based upon a society which has had a couple hundred years of this, its peopled completely by women and called Herland.
    More for us though, right Lark! *chestbump*

It's obviously not only useful for gay couples, but for any couple. If your wife is barren and her honeypot is broke, or your little guys just kinda swim in circles, there's still hope!

Default Childern with three parents ?

Baby with three parents ?

Do you approve this ?

I don't have a moral issue with it necessarily, but I do think there are better uses of resources than this. There are tons of unwanted babies who need stable, loving care and I think the money used on the procedure could probably be better spent elsewhere.

I guess I don't think it's wrong, just that it seems a little extravagant.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I'm not against anyone using such methods, but I would not want to be on the "bleeding edge" of early adapters who decide to utilize it, simply for the sake of recognizing that new processes have glitches, and if a glitch occurs in your voluntary creation of a child outside norms coded into all of us via our mammalian nature, then if something goes wrong, and the child is of poor health, then it is hard not to shoulder a greater part of that burden than parents whose children are born of similar health, but whose creation occurred by traditional means.

Basically, becoming a parent is a responsibility that must be accepted if a fertile adult decides to be sexually active and not use contraception. Period.
    If their baby born is very sick, then there is some capacity to "blame it on fate." If they choose to create the child via an alternative means, then it is uncertain what amount of "natural fate" decided things, as opposed to the amount decided by potential errors in the alternative fertilization process.

I'm eating pizza now, I gotta' go.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I would think it'll be possible eventually, but I'm skeptical it'll be in common use within our lifetimes.

In the lab is one thing, but it takes a long long time to translate that into healthy babies consistently enough for public use. Not even mentioning the politics and inevitable whining from the religious right.

Who knows, though. It'd be cool. Also a little scary(much like cloning babies), but cool.

edit: this was referring to simple combination of 2 "parents" rather than genetic picking and choosing, to be clear.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I'm not against anyone using such methods, but I would not want to be on the "bleeding edge" of early adapters who decide to utilize it, simply for the sake of recognizing that new processes have glitches, and if a glitch occurs in your voluntary creation of a child outside norms coded into all of us via our mammalian nature, then if something goes wrong, and the child is of poor health, then it is hard not to shoulder a greater part of that burden than parents whose children are born of similar health, but whose creation occurred by traditional means.

Basically, becoming a parent is a responsibility that must be accepted if a fertile adult decides to be sexually active and not use contraception. Period.
    If their baby born is very sick, then there is some capacity to "blame it on fate." If they choose to create the child via an alternative means, then it is uncertain what amount of "natural fate" decided things, as opposed to the amount decided by potential errors in the alternative fertilization process.

I'm eating pizza now, I gotta' go.
    I like Pizza what kind?!

Did you like Ninja Turtles too?!