User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Thread: Ban the Burqa

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    A private institution like a bank has every right to demand that people reveal their faces upon entrance. A courtroom in which everyone must be identified and pass through a metal detector would make sense, as well. But a public school? Other than in instances when you need to identify someone for test taking and registration and such, everyone should be able to express their religious beliefs freely.
    Except they don't.

I dunno, people just find it intimidating or something I guess. I know I'd tried to wear a ski mask before in class and was told to take it off or be expelled, not even detention for it >.>

Considering that was BEFORE the collumbine thing, I can only imagine that it'd be even stronger after.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I agree with alot of it, however, there is one major exception here which is rather important, that is not related to flags, or right to wear stuff or politics or religion or whotever.

That is that most public places require that yeu show yeur face due to risk of harm.
    I completely agree, actually. That is an issue - especially with photo ID and such. I mentioned that on page 1 of this thread.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I completely agree, actually. That is an issue - especially with photo ID and such. I mentioned that on page 1 of this thread.
    Ah I missed that, think I glanced over the first few posts then started skipping through the middle XD

Oh well =3

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Perhaps you could restate your point in a way that a simpleton like me can understand.
    With pleasure.. and you can pass the message on to your friend Pure Mercury as well.

one last time in simple English.
    No exceptions to the law.. everyone gets to wear facial coverings or no one does.
    Everyone gets to wear facial coverings for their passport Pics or no one does. Everyone can hide their face when they vote.. or No one can.

I wonder if I have dumbed it down enough for you now? Should I have used monosyllabic words only?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

In the US, at least, it's part of our bill of rights that congress make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion. The constitution and bill of rights are like secular holy writ to most Americans, which is why a burqa gets privileged protection while a ski mask does not.

The bill of rights is intended to protect the basic civil liberties of all citizens and, IMO, it's just about the best thing about the US, even though we have a spotty record when it comes to enforcing it.

This is why, while many of us have a real ideological problem with some things, like the burqa, we will fight to protect a person's right to wear it if they want to. How to protect the rights of someone who is pressured by their family to wear such a garment is tricky. Anything short of violating the first amendment would probably be on the table -- but taking away a person's right to freely practice their religion is a slippery slope many Americans have no desire to put a foot on. I'd be worried that the Amish and the Hasidim would be next, then my Apostolic neighbor, and eventually, it would be me.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    In the US, at least, it's part of our bill of rights that congress make no law prohibiting the free exercise of religion. The constitution and bill of rights are like secular holy writ to most Americans, which is why a burqa gets privileged protection while a ski mask does not.

The bill of rights is intended to protect the basic civil liberties of all citizens and, IMO, it's just about the best thing about the US, even though we have a spotty record when it comes to enforcing it.

This is why, while many of us have a real ideological problem with some things, like the burqa, we will fight to protect a person's right to wear it if they want to. How to protect the rights of someone who is pressured by their family to wear such a garment is tricky. Anything short of violating the first amendment would probably be on the table -- but taking away a person's right to freely practice their religion is a slippery slope many Americans have no desire to put a foot on. I'd be worried that the Amish and the Hasidim would be next, then my Apostolic neighbor, and eventually, it would be me.
    And you didn't have to get all flustered and personal or go on the offense to explain it!!
    This is a very useful post.. thank you

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    And you didn't have to get all flustered and personal or go on the offense to explain it!!
    This is a very useful post.. thank you

The holy writ thing is why you get the emotional reaction. You may not get two Americans to agree on how the constitution/bill of rights is to be interpreted, but if there is a hill almost all of us would figuratively die on, it would be the constitution/bill of rights.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

The holy writ thing is why you get the emotional reaction. You may not get two Americans to agree on how the constitution/bill of rights is to be interpreted, but if there is a hill almost all of us would figuratively die on, it would be the constitution/bill of rights.

I just want to say that I am a little bit suprissed by the amount of tolerance in this thread.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I just want to say that I am a little bit suprissed by the amount of tolerance in this thread.
    Why?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    With pleasure.. and you can pass the message on to your friend Pure Mercury as well.

one last time in simple English.
    No exceptions to the law.. everyone gets to wear facial coverings or no one does.
    Everyone gets to wear facial coverings for their passport Pics or no one does. Everyone can hide their face when they vote.. or No one can.

I wonder if I have dumbed it down enough for you now? Should I have used monosyllabic words only?
    Here's your problem. You view a burqa as a facial covering. I view it as a religious symbol.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."