User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Ban the Burqa

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I don't know who 'we' are in your question, but in the US I would say we should not ban it in public places. In public schools, I would support such a move on the grounds of separation of church and state.
    There is no STRICT separation of church and state. The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. . ." Therefore, public schools may NOT ban religious clothing unless it somehow interferes with the ability of school business to be conducted.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    There is no STRICT separation of church and state. The First Amendment states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. . ." Therefore, public schools may NOT ban religious clothing unless it somehow interferes with the ability of school business to be conducted.
    This would be nice if the burqa were just religious clothing. But in fact it is religious and political. And the burqa is part of an international campaign of political intimidation.

And this makes sense as Islam is a political religion that knows not the separation of mosque and State.

And Islam is openly totalitarian and seeks to surplant liberal democracy.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This would be nice if the burqa were just religious clothing. But in fact it is religious and political. And the burqa is part of an international campaign of political intimidation.

And this makes sense as Islam is a political religion that knows not the separation of mosque and State.

Now where have I heard this before?
    [youtube="60xDmowdTCA"]Fuh fuh fuh[/youtube]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    In the US, we don't ban religious practices, as long as they harm no-one.

Most of the hijab-wearing women I know tend to be gregarious, but the Muslims in the US tend to be descended from well-educated refugees, while the Muslims in France are the uneducated poor from Turkey and the Middle East.
    French Muslims are primarily from Africa. German Muslims are from Turkey. British Muslims are primarily from Asia.

See what you wrote:

.. as long as they harm no one.

A question following your own logic:
    So why don't you ban the burqa?

The burqa does harm the victim.
    I do not think I need to explain who the victim is.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Please do not claim unduly.

Why do you take for granted burqa is a religious clothing?
    ... and it does not interfere with the ability to conduct a school business?
    Another assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The burqa does harm the victim.
    I do not think I need to explain who the victim is.
    Quite so.

Just as clitoridectomy harms the victim, and just as wife beating harms the victim, just as polygamy harms the victim, just as child marriage harms the victim, and just as inequality in Sharia harms the victim.

But to add insult to injury, the victims are used as flagpoles for a totalitarian political religion.

MBTI
    INTP

Quite so.

Just as clitoridectomy harms the victim, and just as wife beating harms the victim, just as polygamy harms the victim, and just as inequality in Sharia harms the victim.

But to add insult to injury, the victims are used as flagpoles for a totalitarian political religion.
    Yes.

MBTI
    GONE

I notice more and more muslim women are wearing the full burqa in Canberra.

And those wearing the full burqa won't even speak to me in public, not even in the grounds of the University, where open discussion is part of University life. However I have spoken to their husbands.

And it is becoming plain, at least to me, that the burqa is not just an item of religious clothing, but is the flag of Islam.

The French President, Nicolas Sarkozy, wants to ban the burqa in public places.

So do you think we should ban the burqa as well?
    Are you talking about the actual physical burqua specific to the actual real life women in question that you cite in your OP? Or do you mean a more figurative, philosophical 'burqua' that can apply more generally to a larger segment of the world population?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Are you talking about the actual physical burqua specific to the actual real life women in question that you cite in your OP? Or do you mean a more figurative, philosophical 'burqa' that can apply more generally to a larger segment of the world population?
    I mean the burqa that imprisons women in a black sack.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

And the only chance it has to supplant liberal democracy is if you implement stupid policies, like banning the burqa. You're playing right into their hands.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."