Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    America is more free? You believe your own propaganda.

America doesn't ever have a Social Democratic Party. You have two parties of Business. Essentially you are a one Party State.

America celebrates Revolution and Civil War and exports them to other countries.

And in exporting Civil War to Vietnam you killed three million Vietnamese in a war even your Secretary of Defence, Robert McNamara, tells us was unnecessary and based on the lie of the Tonkin Gulf Incident.

And Robert told us the Vietnam war was unnecessary with tears in his eyes, not for the three million he had a hand in killing, but for himself.

And Robert also tells us you assassinated your ally, the President of South Vietnam, Ngo Dinh Diem. Even your allies aren't safe from you.

And you tried to foment civil war here in 1975 by having our democratically elected Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam, dismissed from office, even though he had the full confidence of Parliament.

And although this would be a cause for civil war in most countries, both side of Parliament came together and said no matter what the provocation we will not go to war against one another, for there is no blood on the wattle.

And just recently you have regaled us with lies about weapons of mass destruction in order to foment civil war in Iraq to destroy upwards of one million Iraqis.

You are not free. You live in paranoid fear of your own elected Government, and paranoid fear of your own allies, and paranoid fear of even each other, for you are armed to the teeth, one against the other.

And we all know that paranoia is psychological preparation to attack.
    The paranoid ban the burqua. So if we are paranoid, what level of mental instability are you at?

No wonder you can't be trusted with a gun.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Then ban it.
    Would banning it reduce the womens' isolation? I think it would increase it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    What the French and other nations are trying to do is to hinder the spread of religious extremism.
    The are trying to drain the momentum of a violent political movement disguised as a religion.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

don't worry victor... they don't like you either.

I'd suggest some chilling on the hating of other countries as well... it's not cool, just for a heads up
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think that the state should be involve in trying to control what people choose to wear, provided that its not indecent, what's indecent? Well, that is subjective, it is up for public discoursing and debating. I would hope that some residum of respect and decency remains so people wouldnt make choices which are really objectionable to others (I'm thinking of the "Jesus is a C**t" T-shirt which was popular a few years back, it was cradle of filth or something).

The state should focus on the people who are prepared to visit violence and intimidation upon people because of how they choose to dress, keep focused in on the real problem behaviour and the necessarily limited resources wont get spread too thin.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    (I'm thinking of the "Jesus is a C**t" T-shirt which was popular a few years back, it was cradle of filth or something).
    That is a rather rude one, however it is still within their option to wear such, and I don't think their ability to state their beliefs should be restricted, even if they do so in a rude manner.

There's far worse things people can and do wear in public. Honestly, I think the women's "My face is up there" shirts are stupid as hell myself, since the point of a shirt with words on it is to read it... and chastising someone for reading it is asinine.

However, they still have the right to do so, even if it's rude.

I do agree though with yeu, that I would hope people WOULDN'T do that... but we both know they will. Because they think it's funny, they like to irritate people, or because they feel they have a message to state which's best stated in an obnoxious manner to get the attention they feel it deserves.

Sensationalism works, after all.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Sensationalism works, after all.
    True, True.

This is an interesting question, I dont believe that governments should become instruments of control freakery, I dont like control freakery at all but I dont know that government intervention will undo other sorts of it.