First 1234 Last

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I personally think it's totally cool. Lark is representing a lot of folk out there. I have a problem when he doesn't respond........But that is his prerogative.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

For the sake of argument, you think the government should allow religious preferences to preclude giving some people care. Don't you think those denied care could rightly sue for discrimination? How do you go about monitoring that scenario?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    NICE

Can I be banned from this thread?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think letting people not do their job based supposedly on personal philosophy is a huge loop-hole.

Could I not contrive some religion in which I basically can't be of service to anyone, then take a job and do nothing in it, and protest that all rejection of my behavior is an intolerance of my religion?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

If you work a job, and you refuse to do certain aspects of that job, you will be fired. It doesn't matter what the job is, if you refuse to do it, you will be fired.

Homosexuality isn't even the issue here...it is about failing to fulfill the requirements of the job.

If your job required you to interact with Muslims, and you refused to interact with Muslims because of your religion, you would be fired without a second thought.

P.S. Why are so many homophobes obsessed with homosexuality? This behavior isn't restricted to this forum.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Can I be banned from this thread?
    If you'd like.
    (I aim to please!)

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think letting people not do their job based supposedly on personal philosophy is a huge loop-hole. Could I not contrive some religion in which I basically can't be of service to anyone, then take a job and do nothing in it, and protest that all rejection of my behavior is an intolerance of my religion?
    That's one of the loopholes in it.
    Carry the same methodology out, now society has issues.

What if the entire public hospital staff responsible for something decides they don't want to serve someone?
    What if someone refuses to help another they're required to help because they're a white supremicist?
    Obviously we HAVE drawn limits saying SOME values are unacceptable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

if part of his job means that he has to provide his services to both homo and heterosexual people, then he deserves to lose his job for not DOING his job- it's simple

if personal came into professional, I doubt that my friend's father would have arrested her husband for a DUI... PERSONAL IS NOT THE SAME AS PROFESSIONAL! If he disagreed with part of what the job entailed he shouldn't have taken it in the first place!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

whatever, I think in that case even though the father has a personal connection to the offender, he still believes he is upholding the law and doing a good thing.

In this case the marriage counselor feels like he is helping people do immoral things and contributing to people being misled. And the abortion issue? They feel like they are contributing to the death of innocent babies.

So I tend to perceive it differently... even if I have major concerns about whether or not they should suck it up and do it anyway because it's their job.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    if part of his job means that he has to provide his services to both homo and heterosexual people, then he deserves to lose his job for not DOING his job- it's simple

if personal came into professional, I doubt that my friend's father would have arrested her husband for a DUI... PERSONAL IS NOT THE SAME AS PROFESSIONAL! If he disagreed with part of what the job entailed he shouldn't have taken it in the first place!
    Yup.

We have "employment-at-will" in the states, with a few exceptions.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my thoughts are still- if you have moral objections to a part of your job and therefore can't carry it out, don't bother taking it- there's got to be some job where you don't have to do things that go against your morals
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett