First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Romance is such a relative term...so hard to define. I know I don't want to be pinned down to tradition and all that, but at the same time those are reliable symbols that mean a lot to most people. I think the thought behind it should mean more- no matter the price.

They have $5 flowers somewhere?
    Giant.

Sometimes they don't last long, but it's a nice gesture when finances are bad.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm corrected then, I didn't realize there were actual laws about this situation. How bizarre. While it might be the right thing to do, it's very strange to legally force people.

I thought it was a silly custom already, if it's just a conditional gift it's even worse. What if she accidentally loses it, can he sue her because it's still his property until they're married? Ugh.
    Oh, it's so simple.

As long as they stay in the relationship, it's hers.
    If she dumps him, it's his again.

Makes total sense. (not)

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't disagree with you. It's just a crazy scenario. I can't even get my head around a $17K ring. My husband proposed with a bagel.
    Was it a plain bagel, or did it have some pizzazz? It matters.

"How to predict the happiness of Your Marriage Based on the Bagel Ring your Hubby-to-Be Proposes to you With!"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, it's so simple.

As long as they stay in the relationship, it's hers.
    If she dumps him, it's his again.

Makes total sense. (not)

Was it a plain bagel, or did it have some pizzazz? It matters.

"How to predict the happiness of Your Marriage Based on the Bagel Ring your Hubby-to-Be Proposes to you With!"
    [Fi]I hope it's an everything bagel. [/Fi]

I smell another personality test brewing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    [Fi]I hope it's an everything bagel. [/Fi]
    OMG -- that is what I had for breakfast!
    *swoon*

I smell another personality test brewing.
    ...or something.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

LOL. It was a plain bagel from the college cafeteria. On the one hand, he didn't pay anything for it. On the other hand, we're still paying for the dang thing! (My poor kids get to hear about the necessity of scholarships multiple times a week.)
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    OMG -- that is what I had for breakfast!
    *swoon*
    How bout them apples! LOL

MBTI
    INTJ

LOL. It was a plain bagel from the college cafeteria. On the one hand, he didn't pay anything for it. On the other hand, we're still paying for the dang thing! (My poor kids get to hear about the necessity of scholarships multiple times a week.)
    That sounds straight out of a movie. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm corrected then, I didn't realize there were actual laws about this situation. How bizarre. While it might be the right thing to do, it's very strange to legally force people.

I thought it was a silly custom already, if it's just a conditional gift it's even worse. What if she accidentally loses it, can he sue her because it's still his property until they're married? Ugh.

Once he gives it to her it belongs to her as long as she meets the condition of getting married. So between the time of engagement and marriage it belongs to the woman... I would think. So in your scenario there would be no grounds for a suit if she lost it during the engagement.

I do think there are some states where the courts think its beyond the scope of the law to interfere in an engagement in this manner... effectively though that's just siding with the woman and viewing it as a gift.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I don't know, but I wouldn't respect a man who spend a huge amount of money on an engagement ring- it's just not practical... if you're going to spend that 17.5k to impress me remodel the kitchen and take me on a really nice vacation :rolli:
    That's the idea XD

I'm cheap when it comes to gifts, I wouldn't even want gold or diamonds... silver with a cat's eye is all I'd need absolute top end.

Something wood would probably work just as well XD

Spend the monies on something far more fun than just "zomg look ring".

I don't disagree with you. It's just a crazy scenario. I can't even get my head around a $17K ring. My husband proposed with a bagel.

That is EPIC win <3

Some propose with expensive stuffs, I think that is just so amusing though and far more awesome for conversations. "Oh yeah well *MY* husband got me a bagel! BEAT THAT!"

Srsly, how do yeu beat an edible ring?

Only thing he could've done better is an onion ring I think. But that's probably just because I find bagels are kinda so-so, except those tasty cinnamon/raisin ones, those're nummies ^^

I'm kind of disturbed by the number of people who think that the cost of the ring and thus the assumed wealth of the man are factors in whether he's entitled to have the ring back. I don't care if he makes minimum wage or six figures...if he deserves it, he deserves it. The money is irrelevant.

And in most cases, I think he deserves it back. Accepting the ring is as much a promise as giving the ring. And if that promise is broken, the ring should be returned. Now, if the reason for the breakup is infidelity or another breach of trust on the man's part, that might be a reason why she could feel entitled to keep the ring. That said, if she didn't return it, I'd feel confident that avoiding a marriage to this sort of person was the best thing that could happen to me.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari