User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I always thought engagement rings were a gift? (assuming she says yes).

I mean, you don't return wedding rings when the wedding ends. It's not his property anymore as soon as he gives it to her.

17.5k is retarded to spend on a ring, too.
    NOOOOO

an engagement ring is a symbol of commitment. You don't want me you don't want my ring. Give it back.
    Although If I broke it off- I'd let her keep it.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't know, but I wouldn't respect a man who spend a huge amount of money on an engagement ring- it's just not practical... if you're going to spend that 17.5k to impress me remodel the kitchen and take me on a really nice vacation :rolli:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    GONE

Buyer beware.

I wonder if she's keeping it out of spite. Okay, that sounds judgemental. I wonder if she's keeping it because she's angry or feels cheated and is now wholly unsympathetic to her ex-fiance's pleas.

As for "if you $18k to burn you won't miss the ring" - I don't think he necessarily had the income or budget to buy the ring. Weddings are a multi billion dollar business in a country where most people live on debt, there's been an economic crisis brewing for years, and people are now getting foreclosed on left and right. Basically, people do NOT think with their wallets when it comes to getting married. They routinely blow their budgets, go into debt, and frankly spend way too much. It's emotional, high stress spending and wedding retailers capitalize on that.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

What if she already threw it in the river or something because she was mad?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    What if she already threw it in the river or something because she was mad?
    Come out of pocket to replace it. That's a real spiteful thing to do.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Come out of pocket to replace it. That's a real spiteful thing to do.
    It is, but if she found out he was cheating on her or something . . . People get emotional about these things.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

It is, but if she found out he was cheating on her or something . . . People get emotional about these things.
    Okay, cheating yeah the ring does deserve Hudson Punch. But if he decided to break it off because he didn't want to go on- then she's wrong.

Suppose she painted expectations of that monstrosity on her finger, and he did that to make HER happy? And after she got it, she becomes a bridezilla to be, and he wants to break it off? I can respect emotional responses, but if it's her to blame, it can't be excused.

Really you can't excuse it either way. If she shot her fiancee, that emotional thing wouldn't hold up much in court. Any sane individual has control over their emotions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    Okay, cheating yeah the ring does deserve Hudson Punch. But if he decided to break it off because he didn't want to go on- then she's wrong.

Suppose she painted expectations of that monstrosity on her finger, and he did that to make HER happy? And after she got it, she becomes a bridezilla to be, and he wants to break it off? I can respect emotional responses, but if it's her to blame, it can't be excused.

Really you can't excuse it either way. If she shot her fiancee, that emotional thing wouldn't hold up much in court. Any sane individual has control over their emotions.
    I don't disagree with you. It's just a crazy scenario. I can't even get my head around a $17K ring. My husband proposed with a bagel.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't disagree with you. It's just a crazy scenario. I can't even get my head around a $17K ring. My husband proposed with a bagel.

Hope it was Panera at least! LOL

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm corrected then, I didn't realize there were actual laws about this situation. How bizarre. While it might be the right thing to do, it's very strange to legally force people.

I thought it was a silly custom already, if it's just a conditional gift it's even worse. What if she accidentally loses it, can he sue her because it's still his property until they're married? Ugh.
    -end of thread-