First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    My issue here is, why is it when a man does what is considered romantic, as soon as reality sets in, he's stupid. But if a man doesn't buy into the romanticism to begin with he's a misogynist?
    Now you've got it!

Actually, come on.. there's a happier medium here.

(Flowers at the local super, you know? $5? That's romantic. I've swooned over an unexpected bouquet of flowers before.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Now you've got it!

(Flowers at the local super, you know? $5? That's romantic. I've swooned over an unexpected bouquet of flowers before.)
    All the "He went to Jarred" commercials and Zales "make a memory" commercials say your NT practicality is in the minority on these matters.
    Assuming he could afford the 17G's in the first place, that's not even all that much money to spend on a ring relatively. That won't even cover most weddings these days...

Not that I'dve done it but that's besides the point.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INTJ

Look at the picture in the link. It wasn't too bad at all. Nothing that would make her a target walking down the street.

My issue here is, why is it when a man does what is considered romantic, as soon as reality sets in, he's stupid. But if a man doesn't buy into the romanticism to begin with he's a misogynist?

If I was looking at the same thing, that's an advertisement.

But the sounds of the article are dramatic. Like Jock said, probably some bridezilla MTV-ish type story.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
    If I was looking at the same thing, that's an advertisement.
    You're right!
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Jeesh. I hope he doesn't still owe money on it.

I cannot fathom wasting that much money on something like that. Around here, that'd be a down payment on a nice little house.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I always thought engagement rings were a gift? (assuming she says yes).

I mean, you don't return wedding rings when the wedding ends. It's not his property anymore as soon as he gives it to her.

17.5k is retarded to spend on a ring, too.
    -end of thread-

After a quick check of the law in NY (it does vary from state to state on this issue) it does appear that engagement rings are considered conditional gifts. Since she broke the engagement she has to return the ring upon request. The birthday thing kind of throws a loop in it... it may get her a little bit more out of the settlement although ultimately I think its irrelevant. Bottom line they should sell the ring and split it 75/25 man/woman... there is no way this should actually go to court.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Now you've got it!

Romance is such a relative term...so hard to define. I know I don't want to be pinned down to tradition and all that, but at the same time those are reliable symbols that mean a lot to most people. I think the thought behind it should mean more- no matter the price.

They have $5 flowers somewhere?

MBTI
    INTJ

All the "He went to Jarred" commercials and Zales "make a memory" commercials say your NT practicality is in the minority on these matters.
    Assuming he could afford the 17G's in the first place, that's not even all that much money to spend on a ring relatively. That won't even cover most weddings these days...

Not that I'dve done it but that's besides the point.
    Actually spending 17k at Jarred's is like spending 9,10K on a jeweler's row. They mark up their stuff.

I'm going to bet he couldn't afford it. That's probably why he wants it back. That's a whole lotta bread to let someone walk away with.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    After a quick check of the law in NY (it does vary from state to state on this issue) it does appear that engagement rings are considered conditional gifts. Since she broke the engagement she has to return the ring upon request. The birthday thing kind of throws a loop in it... it may get her a little bit more out of the settlement although ultimately I think its irrelevant. Bottom line they should sell the ring and split it 75/25 man/woman... there is no way this should actually go to court.
    Right, it isn't just any other gift...I don't give a birthday present and expect it to be returned to me once they die. The engagement ring represents an informal contract: it signifies intent to marry. No marriage, no ring...no?