User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Employees Fired for Pursuing Shoplifters

Here's the article - thoughts?

Sprint Fires Employees for Pursuing Alleged Shoplifter

No good deed left unpunished? People should stay out of it because who cares if huge corporations lose some pocket change?

I've seen shoplifters handled really roughly (NYC) and I've also seen them bite store employees yelling "I have AIDS!" (DC). Sooooo :shrugs:

I think the issue here is employees aren't being encouraged or discouraged for ethical principle but rather because we live in a highly litigious society in the US. Everyone's afraid of getting sued so nobody wants the risk. I think that's the industrial-complex etc. etc. etc. dictating to people a life of acquiescence and acceptance to big business and big government policy.

It's not about people living in a community with relationships with one another, it's about consumers and employees answering to the same corporate/government entities.

It fits into a larger issue of people feeling alienated and detached from one another and relating to each other through a logo.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

I agree Cze Cze it is the litigatious society, perhaps it is about being alienated and estranged from one another (I dont say detached because it has positive connotations to my mind and I cant use the word that other way) but its also the crisis of personal responsibility, why or how would someone sue their employer for their tackling a crook on the job?

I could see the same persons point if they were accused of dereliction of duty for failing to do so, unless its in your job description you shouldnt be expected to do that kind of thing, if it is on the job spec then you need to be capable and make informed conscent to that obligation in taking the post in the first place.

Personally I hate shop lifting, I always hope that shop lifters will be prosecuted and I've apprehended one or two in my time, I tend to think that being permissive about it, well, its feeding the entitlement beast which I hate.

Mind you, last one I tackled wouldnt have had a problem if he'd not tried to sneak out of a book shop at the exact moment I was leaving and doing so to try and set me up as a suspected thief, really couldnt let that go, likewise shoving me earned a shove back, trying to punch me when he was a teenage child and very slightly built was just the worst decision they'd made that day.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Sprint's corporate policy states that employees should not chase shoplifters, though the men argue they were on break and it wasn't even Sprint's merchandise they were seeking to retrieve.
    Employees don't follow rules and are surprised when they get in trouble for it. I bet they were wearing their sprint name tags at the time.

MBTI
    INFP

It's not professional to chase shoplifters. It looks tacky and petty.

What's tacky and petty about crime fighting?

Jesus, I'm so out of sync. Going to go and take the walk into the desert or something.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I think that's the industrial-complex etc. etc. etc. dictating to people a life of acquiescence and acceptance to big business and big government policy.

It's not about people living in a community with relationships with one another, it's about consumers and employees answering to the same corporate/government entities.

It fits into a larger issue of people feeling alienated and detached from one another and relating to each other through a logo.
    I think that you're right. We've done so much to codify, depersonalize, and monetize enforcement of community standards that we've (at least started) to break the incentive that *really* keeps people from committing crimes (or other morally defunct behaviors that aren't strictly illegal -- hi Goldman Sachs!)... social relationships. Take the relationship out of the activity, and most people won't see it *as* wrong as if it'd been done to someone who's really a member of your social/communal group. Especially when we interface to a much larger extent with organizations whose *only* motivation is "what's in it for me?" (i.e., money). People who would never steal from a neighbor think nothing of defrauding or mega-suing a corporation or the government. Even though others still pay for their actions, those others are nameless, shielded behind a punching bag that will simply take its cut and move on.

Take the following scenario (uh oh, I'm on a roll )

Person A: Works for a legal construct-organization X (corporation, government bureau, etc.)
    Person B: Writes policy for X. Is given broad goals by:
    People C: Own/Control X. This could be shareholders, voters, etc. Are basically too busy doing their own thing to be involved even peripherally in seeing the direct results of X's policy, made on their behalf.
    People D: Get exploited/ignored/mistreated by X.

Person A (probably multiple layers of people A) says "I'm sorry, it's my job to follow the policy I am not authorized to make exceptions"
    Person B says "My job is to maximize the goals of C, not help you - sorry."
    People C: Don't ever see personal repercussions of the policy, if they even know about it. Probably don't *want* to know.
    People D: Have little recourse, point finger at X, *not* A, B, or C.

Nobody in this scenario really takes responsibility. We, as a society, seem to try to abstract away the responsibility for dealing with others to easily and painlessly-blamed inhuman organizations or policies and yet we as individuals wind up trying to scratch and fight for scraps of dignity. "I'm sorry, that's policy" is a pretty easy and effective way to say "screw you, not my problem, not my fault (and haha if you think you can even talk to anyone who may have had something to do with writing the policy)".

Small, traditional communities without the services we've come to expect from our impersonal organizations have their own problems, of course. But I don't think that they suffer from the same humanity-stripping effects we see with using legal constructs as the glue of society.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    why or how would someone sue their employer for their tackling a crook on the job? \
    The problem is two fold. A: if you accuse someone of shoplifting without being able to prove it you (the company) expose yourself to litigation.
    B: if the employee is hurt in the attempt to apprehend the alleged shop lifter the policy lets the employer off the hook in terms of liability.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Oh true, if I break my arm or kill myself trying to trap a shoplifter who pays? It was on the job so it would be the workers comp, including any lost time. That's why they pay security guards. I'm not trained, as a retail employee (or manager) to be chasing down shoplifters.

Companies make policies for people to follow. You work for a company, you follow their policies. You want to make your own policies then go start your own company. A company is doing a GOOD thing by making specific rules for their employees to follow. Just because people feel their individuality is being hindered by it doesn't mean they should just be making up random policies because they get paid to run a cash register or sell someone phones.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I knew sprint were money grabbing bastards a long time ago. This doesn't surprise me knowing their reputation and personal experience. They tried to swindle me with billing issues and policy changes. 10 years with them, and the upper manager still tried to sell me upgrades.

Employment is modern servitude no matter how it's dressed up. So make sure you know who you're giving your life to.
    "People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds; it is something one creates." - Thomas Szasz

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Oh true, if I break my arm or kill myself trying to trap a shoplifter who pays? It was on the job so it would be the workers comp, including any lost time. That's why they pay security guards. I'm not trained, as a retail employee (or manager) to be chasing down shoplifters.

Companies make policies for people to follow. You work for a company, you follow their policies. You want to make your own policies then go start your own company. A company is doing a GOOD thing by making specific rules for their employees to follow. Just because people feel their individuality is being hindered by it doesn't mean they should just be making up random policies because they get paid to run a cash register or sell someone phones.
    Even security guards can't engage with shop lifters at most places...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"