User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default Is this what doing good brings the world?

Homeless good Samaritan left to die on NYC street - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK – The homeless man lay face down, unmoving, on the sidewalk outside an apartment building, blood from knife wounds pooling underneath his body.

One person passed by in the early morning. Then another, and another. Video footage from a surveillance camera shows at least seven people going by, some turning their heads to look, others stopping to gawk. One even lifted the homeless man's body, exposing what appeared to be blood on the sidewalk underneath him, before walking away.

It wasn't until after the 31-year-old Guatemalan immigrant had been lying there for nearly an hour that emergency workers arrived, and by then, it was too late. Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax — who police said was stabbed while intervening to help a woman being attacked — had died.

"I think it's horrific," said Marla Cohan, who teaches at P.S. 82, a school across the street from where Tale-Yax died. "I think people are just afraid to step in; they don't want to get involved; who knows what their reasons are?"

Tale-Yax was walking behind a man and a woman on 144th Street in the Jamaica section of Queens around 6 a.m. April 18 when the couple got into a fight that became physical, according to police, who pieced together what happened from surveillance footage and interviews with area residents.

Tale-Yax was stabbed several times when he intervened to help the woman, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said. She and the other man fled in different directions, and Tale-Yax pursued the man before collapsing. Authorities are searching for the man and woman.

A 911 call of a woman screaming came in around 6 a.m., but when officers responded to the address that was given, no one was there, police said. Another call came in around 7 a.m., saying a man was lying on the street, but gave the wrong address. Finally, around 7:20 a.m., someone called 911 to report a man had possibly been stabbed at 144th Street and 88th Road.

Police and firefighters arrived a few minutes later to find Tale-Yax dead. Officials say they're not sure whether the man was still alive when passers-by opted not to help him.

Residents who regularly pass by the same stretch of sidewalk, in a working-class neighborhood of low-rise apartment buildings and fast food restaurants near a busy boulevard, were unnerved by the way Tale-Yax died.

"Is anybody human anymore?" asked Raechelle Groce, visiting her grandmother at a nearby building on Monday. "What's wrong with humanity?"

In the urban environment, it's not unusual to see people on the street, sleeping or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

But even assuming the person they've just passed is drunk, instead of injured, is no reason not to notify authorities, said Seth Herman, another teacher at the school. He remembered calling an ambulance when seeing a man who appeared to be homeless on the street, with a beer bottle near by.

He called 911, he said, because "I felt it wasn't my job to figure out if the person was drunk or actually hurt."

Groce agreed.

"I just think that's horrible, whether you're homeless or not," she said. "He's a human being; he needs help."
    Is this rare situation, or is it more common than thought originally. Thoughts? anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

There's not enough information available for me to form an opinion.

Seven "people" walked by. Question is who were these seven people? Where they also immigrants? Were they legal? Did they speak english?

Where they afraid of calling for help? Because of their legal status?

Was the individual described as an immigrant, actually registered/documented with immigration services?

Who knows?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

The Bystander Effect is disturbingly common... I started a thread on it about a year and a half ago... people in groups suck
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFJ

Dude, it's New York.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

A couple years ago, a woman's car got broken into. The sound of the window busting was loud.

She continued cooking.

Her policeman neighbor heard it and ignored it.

I was the only person who actually came out to take a look.

And got the description/tag number.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I chased down a purse snatcher and broke my kneecap in the view of about 20 people who were sitting out on their patios nearby- the only person who came to help lived across the lake from where I was... THAT pissed me off :steam:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

...no sense of caring for others in the current world.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I chased down a purse snatcher and broke my kneecap in the view of about 20 people who were sitting out on their patios nearby- the only person who came to help lived across the lake from where I was... THAT pissed me off :steam:
    hmm...reminds me of an ESTP I dated.

Someone snatched her purse at a grocery store.

She chased them down, and commensed to beat the living crap out of them with the purse.

By the time the cops arrived the man was rolling around on the ground begging to be taken to the safety of jail, and away from the "crazy woman."

Damn, she rocked!

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    ...no sense of caring for others in the current world.
    If all you look at are the bad news stories, sure.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    hmm...reminds me of an ESTP I dated.

Someone snatched her purse at a grocery store.

She chased them down, and commensed to beat the living crap out of them with the purse.

By the time the cops arrived the man was rolling around on the ground begging to be taken to the safety of jail, and away from the "crazy woman."

Damn, she rocked!
    it's not nice to take people's purses!

he should have been glad that I injured myself because I was still busy chasing him after he dropped the purse even... he was going to get a good beating