User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    There's not enough information available for me to form an opinion.

Seven "people" walked by. Question is who were these seven people? Where they also immigrants? Were they legal? Did they speak english?

Where they afraid of calling for help? Because of their legal status?

Was the individual described as an immigrant, actually registered/documented with immigration services?

Who knows?
    Here, watch the video.

More Than 20 People Passed As Homeless New York Man Bled To Death - Hugo Alfredo Tale-yax - Gawker

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

this is pretty sad.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

You know what, It makes me sad, but it doesn't surprise me. I hope Yale Tax is in a happier place. He would have been treated like human trash before, but he still helped that women. That takes more than courage.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is very sad.

I have two personal anecdotes that relate to this from my travels in the UK last summer. In the first situation my friend and myself were in the London underground and had to run past 10 people to intervene in a physical fight between a boyfriend and girlfriend on a platform. After we had the dude restrained a small british woman came up to him put her hand on him and softly admonished him... "you can't hit women."

In the second situation came when I was randomly attacked by a drunk teen in the streets of Edinburgh. A nice Canadian guy, the only guy in the immediate vicinity, came and helped me out. Unfortunately, for his troubles he received a gash above his eye when the scottish kid swung his belt at him. After that some Pakistani or Indian immigrant came and helped the Canadian. I walked away unscathed thankfully.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    This is very sad.

I have two personal anecdotes that relate to this from my travels in the UK last summer. In the first situation my friend and myself were in the London underground and had to run past 10 people to intervene in a physical fight between a boyfriend and girlfriend on a platform. After we had the dude restrained a small british woman came up to him put her hand on him and softly admonished him... "you can't hit women."

In the second situation came when I was randomly attacked by a drunk teen in the streets of Edinburgh. A nice Canadian guy, the only guy in the immediate vicinity, came and helped me out. Unfortunately, for his troubles he received a gash above his eye when the scottish kid swung his belt at him. After that some Pakistani or Indian immigrant came and helped the Canadian. I walked away unscathed thankfully.
    A couple of years ago, there was an article by the BBC...indicating teens in the UK are violent and dangerous. They gave a high percentage estimate for "wayward" teens. Something like 47 percent if I remember correctly?

MBTI
    INTJ

The world is littered with the corpses of do-gooders. Doing good doesn't work.

This man of died of knife wounds. Who knifed him?

---

Far more effective to eliminate do-badders. Tis why I am a supporter of civilian concealed carry of firearms.

Help one person out of a sticky situation, and you save him from harm for one day. The perpetrator, if he gets away, will likely harm countless others over the course of his lifetime. If he is captured, he will continue to harm others in the prison system, if he is not hardened into an even more dangerous individual.

Kill the perp in the act, and you not only prevent the current situation, but you prevent all future crimes that would otherwise be perpetrated by the dead perp.

It also makes committing crime a far more dangerous proposition, if there is a significant risk of death to the potential criminal.

---

It also makes for convenient cost-free population control and social Darwinism, as those least adapted to society are voluntarily removed from it.

---

This concept fails, however, if a majority of a population is predisposed, due to cultural or economic factors, to criminal behavior. If the government is a mafia, and criminal behavior is rewarded (like in certain latin american countries), then this whole framework falls apart.

Concealed carry assumes a stable, economically solid society.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Specifically eagle, it requires a society without constant fear.

Fear of loss of job, of lack of money, of not getting sex, of any of a thousand different things. Fear makes people act irrationally, or in some cases, more rationally in an attempt to fight off that fear.

There is no country truly in the world where concealed weapons will really help. Yes, it may give criminals more risk, but it also increases the murder rate by these same individuals; instead of threatening with a knife, they're more likely to shoot yeu dead on the spot for yeur money because it's too risky to turn and run when yeu may pull a gun on them.

It's an idealized romanticized concept, similar to communism. It works great on paper and in people's heads. In practice, however, it fails hardcore, because it assumes too greatly that noone will abuse the system, and it is just too full of easy to reach holes for people to abuse.

Do I think that we should have NO weapons allowed? No that's kind of silly too.

Overall, just making it harder to obtain weapons, and enforcing the use of them, and keeping a database of as many weapons as possible come into the country, allows for an easier time on trying to identify their use and prevent further re-use, which indirectly restricts their use in the first place if the one using a weapon for criminal intent is worried they have a higher chance of getting caught.

Generally people who mug others aren't doing it for fun... they're doing it for a reason. Either to get sex, to get money, to get drugs, a number of things, really. And that all comes down to risk vs reward; if they think there's little risk and a good chance of reward, they'll do it anyway. If they believe it's too high a risk to get caught, they'll try to find another method of supplying their needs.

Giving everyone concealed weapons does increase the risk, to a degree, but not everyone will carry them, and depending on how yeu go about the mugging, yeu can set it up pretty easily to prevent them from ever being able to use their concealed weapon even if they had one.

Overall, I'd rather not encourage them to shoot and take the wallet/purse after, instead of just threatening to do so. Risk of concealed weapons just has too high a chance of causing the death of the victim which wouldn't've happened otherwise.

Sure it MAY kill a few criminals, but at the same time, alot of those are people on hard times, who are trying to steal for money for food and rent, or to sate an addiction. They need help in other ways, and don't really deserve the death penalty.

Sure, some are repeat offenders and may be violently dangerous. The average mugger isn't that dangerous, mostly just in need of something that they can't provide for themselves and can't think of any other way to get it.

The more social programs yeu have to prevent people from falling that far in the first place, the fewer muggers yeu have to worry about even existing.

The thing is that people don't realize that yeu can fall two ways; yeu either fall and give up hope, becoming a beggar, hoping other people will support yeur survival. Or yeu fall and take action, taking that support by force by deciding that others 'owe' yeu. Neither are very acceptable outcomes, honestly.

Biggest way to reduce stuff though, would be to keep people the hell away from hard end drugs, which cause strong physical addiction and cost insane amounts. Most recurring thefts are from people who are so addicted they need to support a $1000/week addiction... and unless they have a $150,000/year job, they can't do it.

If yeu fired all the corporate executives, all the managers, the directors, the athletes, the actors and the doctors, without their pay to cover their expensive habits, yeu'd learn awfully quickly just how high the crime rate can go. The only thing keeping a large portion of the potential muggers out there from becoming so is they have enough money to throw around that they don't have to.

Either crack down on the drug trade, or make it legal and reduce the costs of it by a HUGE amount, and yeu won't have these problems. If heroine cost the same as cigarettes, yeu'd cut the robbery rate in half or more probably.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    ENFp

I'm so sorry, I don't buy into that bystander effect BS. If I see someone hurt etc I am going to help.

This is ridiculous and very sad. Shame on the woman for not ensuring that when police arrived to assist her to make sure he was safe as well.

89% Extroverted ~ 68% Intuition ~ 84% Feeling ~ 89% Perceiving
    Enneagram: 2w1 SO/SP Socionics: ENFp
    Cognitive Process
    Se 30.4% Si 19.1% - Ne 38.4% Ni 26.4% - Te 23.1% Ti 20% - Fe 46.4% Fi 35.8%
    Sanguine | Phlegmatic
    Right Brain Dominant