User Tag List

12311 Last

Default A world safe for assholes...

Or what really is free speech?

On about three seperate forums now I'd read where people had to edit their insulting posts went to the whole idea of freedom of speech to excuse their behaviour, I've heard it said in response to the discussion about insults of the Pope by public servants in the UK.

Now I'm getting used by the day to a world racing to the bottom in terms of a complete loss of rectitude and manners were assurity of punishment is just about the only thing motivating people but does anyone else get annoyed when they hear someone behaving like an asshole say their rights are being violated? Or that their right to behave like as asshole was the reason for resisting Nazism or totalitarianism?

I think it makes a complete mockery of the very idea of rights or freedom altogether, which I think has become so, so broad a statement of principles or norms that its beginning to lose touch with reality anyway.

The thing about freedom of speech specifically is that I think it is important and defensible, not simply from ill conceived legislation but even from a kind of creeping close mindedness which makes topics "off limits" because they are too cringeworthy or offensive. That's totally different from permitting someone to act like a sophist at best and a bully at worst with stupid remarks.

The Sins of My Youth

When you're young, if you are not a communard, you have no heart.

But if you are not a conservative when you are old, you have no sense.

So when I was young and idealistic, we wanted to make the world safe for schizophrenics.

But we knew nothing about schizophrenia and cruelly blamed the mothers.

So I live my later years, shriven, repentant for the sins of my youth.

MBTI
    NICE

What would you call someone who said this? -

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I work in social services...

I'll be honest with you, if my brother was homosexual he'd not be invited if he had a partner with him, not to my house or I suspect my parents house...
    I'd think "asshole" would be mildly complimentary to such a fellow.

Freedom of speech, Larky.

BTW Whether you like it or not, you are not American. You are British. The word is "arsehole", Tex.

Or what really is free speech?
    The only real freedom a person has is the freedom they take without it getting taken away from them. The idea of freedom of speech is just an idea, an idea that's supposed to suggest to people to not sensor speech. But people don't like what they don't like and will sensor anything that seems out of line with their sense of decency, honor, and values. If a person is willing to give up their ability to sensor someone when it is to their seeming benefit to do so, then something is amiss and you are likely to get screwed if you continue.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Free Speech has absolutely nothing to do with civility. Language and communicative behavior today, might be influenced by technology.

i.e. We tend to say shit through a text medium that we wouldn't say to someone's face.

Well unless of course, you happen to be Dick Cheney, or *insert politician or media personality of choice here.*

MBTI
    INxJ

Sure. Especially when they don't understand that their ability to say what they want also means other people can too.

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Well unless of course, you happen to be Dick Cheney
    As someone who is resolutely non-American as opposed to anti-American, I am very impressed by Dick Cheney, although I don't support many of his policies.

And I find this with many Americans. Although I am immensely impressed by them, and indeed even like them, I find I don't support their beliefs or their political policies.

This is quite a conundrum as the USA is perhaps our most important ally.

Perhaps its like being in bed with an extrovert - on one hand you know they don't understand you but on the other they are indispensable.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Last time I checked, most American's haven't approved of the policies of the US Government in quite some time. Seems a lot of folks "woke" up around 2004.

Ironically, Obama's approach is like having Bush term III. Granted the window dressing's slightly different. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    What would you call someone who said this? -

I'd think "asshole" would be mildly complimentary to such a fellow.

Freedom of speech, Larky.

BTW Whether you like it or not, you are not American. You are British. The word is "arsehole", Tex.
    Dude, yes we all know that you don't like Lark. Can you please stop your snarky little comments and sort it out with him one-on-one. It's getting annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Last time I checked, most American's haven't approved of the policies of the US Government in quite some time. Seems a lot of folks "woke" up around 2004.

Ironically, Obama's approach is like having Bush term III. Granted the window dressing's slightly different. That's about it.
    One thing we notice is that you are paranoid about the people you freely elect.

We do regard this as paranoia - an unreasonable fear.

Most people around the world would love to have a freely elected government.

And yet you have it, and you can change your government at the next election, but still you titillate yourselves with paranoia.