User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 112

  1. #21
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Just because there aren't legal consequences for verbal assholery doesn't mean there aren't consequences. You could get fired and/or lose friends and/or get offered a show on FoxNews.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  2. #22
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You could argue that the illusion of choice exists in all regimes not just the two party ones.
    Yes, but in a two-party system it is the most obvious.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  3. #23
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    One thing we notice is that you are paranoid about the people you freely elect.

    We do regard this as paranoia - an unreasonable fear.

    Most people around the world would love to have a freely elected government.

    And yet you have it, and you can change your government at the next election, but still you titillate yourselves with paranoia.


    Which is of course if we overlook the fact that the two out of last three elections are possibly a fraud and the third was won purely on the basis of personal charisma.


    Yeah, nothing to worry about at all if you want to live in a demorcacy.

  4. #24
    Member Amphion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    82

    Default

    One of the best discussions about the limits of free speech that I've ever read can be found in Texas vs. Johnson which is the U.S. Supreme Court case that upheld the right to burn the American flag.

    The entire case is fascinating and worth reading, but I will quote one paragraph that I think sums up the majority's argument nicely.

    "The way to preserve the flag's special role is not to punish those who feel differently about these matters. It is to persuade them that they are wrong. "To courageous, self-reliant men, with confidence in the power of free and fearless reasoning applied through the processes of popular government, no danger flowing from speech can be deemed clear and present, unless the incidence of the evil apprehended is so imminent that it may befall before there is opportunity for full discussion. If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence." Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357, 377 (1927) (Brandeis, J., concurring). And, precisely because it is our flag that is involved, one's response to the flag [491 U.S. 397, 420] burner may exploit the uniquely persuasive power of the flag itself. We can imagine no more appropriate response to burning a flag than waving one's own, no better way to counter a flag burner's message than by saluting the flag that burns, no surer means of preserving the dignity even of the flag that burned than by - as one witness here did - according its remains a respectful burial. We do not consecrate the flag by punishing its desecration, for in doing so we dilute the freedom that this cherished emblem represents."

    Does free speech protect assholes? Certainly. But it's unpopular speech that needs protection, and picking and choosing what speech is legitimate would be a greater evil. In the meantime, as another poster has mentioned or alluded to, a person without manners (or a politically incorrect person) will be punished with public disesteem.

  5. #25
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Conversation I had probably at least 1000 times in my childhood with various little punk-ass classmates:


    gromit: Stop that.

    other little kid: NO. It's a free country. HAHAHA!!!!!!


    It would piss me off immensely, but I obviously didn't have the vocabulary as a child to express the difference between legal rights and being an inconsiderate ass.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  6. #26
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Just because there aren't legal consequences for verbal assholery doesn't mean there aren't consequences. You could get fired and/or lose friends and/or get offered a show on FoxNews.

    :yim_rolling_on_the_

    *pictures various banned members with a show on FoxNews*

    A few notes-

    - the assurance of freedom of speech guarenteed by the first amendment and article 19 of the declaration of human rights covers public platforms, but does not cover private platforms where you are under a contract with the administration to be a member (remember, you have a link to the rules )

    - I don't trust your government either, Victor

    - For that matter, one must be susupicious of anyone who wants to hold a position of power over others in society- often there's power or money at play in the decision... not concern for my wellbeing. Why should we trust someone who is interested in getting more power or money?

    - As far as I know almost NO country really trusts their government, and we're ahead of some because we have never had a riot that led to our leader being dragged through the streets and publicaly executed- when our leaders die in public it's because of the action of one person (or more if you're a conspiracy theorist) instead of a mass action

    *** none of this trusting the government talk even really has to do with the OP even does it?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  7. #27
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    What would you call someone who said this? -
    What would you call a social worker who said this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    My work is a waste of time and I carry a lot of losers who dont deserve it but it pays.

  8. #28
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    As far as I know almost NO country really trusts their government...
    You make the mistake of viewing "country" as a singular, rather than composing of many people. Your mistake is to use a false singular.

    Also the word "trust" does no come unqualified. I may trust a government on say Defence spending but be suspicious of welfare cuts. And a government does not operate as a contiguous unit, much as it would like to you to believe. Again a case of the false singular.

    So when you say you do not trust the government, one can discern nothing much about the governments "trustworthiness", if such a thing were possible; rather, it merely confirms Victor's contention that you are actually paranoid.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Just because there aren't legal consequences for verbal assholery doesn't mean there aren't consequences. You could get fired
    You can also get job offers. And I'm not kidding.

  10. #30
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    Dude, yes we all know that you don't like Lark. Can you please stop your snarky little comments and sort it out with him one-on-one. It's getting annoying.
    Sorry to have "annoyed" you. - Honest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Nah, keep on going.

Similar Threads

  1. Humanism the basis for the world's religions and philosophy
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
  2. [NT] Strategies for Rationalists in a Sensationally Feely world.
    By murkrow in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 08:54 PM
  3. [ENFP] ENFP-When is it safe for Fi to come out?
    By sculpting in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 11:06 PM
  4. Plot for NT World Domination
    By MerkW in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 02:13 AM
  5. Help Stop the Plot For NT World Domination
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 02:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO