User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Why apologize? Fuck the pope.

hahajklol no but seriously the pope is a pretty evil character lol.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius thought it was a bad joke when the news story broke this time yesterday. After all, the leader of the government department which produced the memo is an atheistic Jew who happens to be the son of one of the most famous Marxists of the last century.

It soon dawned on Falcarius that there are people who are stupid enough to produce such an obnoxious memo during the middle of a general election. Hence, it is not really surprising the political party currently running the British government are presently third in the opinion polls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    NICE

Try a less candid quote, from a countryman of Larky - Dr Ian Paisley:

"There is no other head of the church but the Lord Jesus Christ: nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; but is that antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the church against Christ, and all that is called God."

source: EIPS - None Dare Call Him Antichrist

It really would be better for everyone if Ratslinger stayed at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Fuck the pope.
    I'm sure someone already has.

Ginkgo

HOLY SHIT! LITERALLY!

We now know there are officers of the Church who have covered up child abuse and not reported the crime to the police.

This itself is a crime and they should hand themselves into the police for prosecution.

Unfortunately these alleged criminals include brothers, priests and nuns, Monseigneurs, Bishops, Archbishops, Cardinals, the Pope and lay Catholics.

MBTI
    IxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm pretty sure that visiting Muslim clerics wouldnt be treated to the same sorts of insults...
    Uh, ever wonder why thats the case? People are afraid if they insult Islam or its leaders they'll be killed (see: Theo van Gogh, or the recent South Park threats).

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I'm not a Catholic or a Christian, even, but the Pope is a holy man, and must be treated with reverence.
    Um, respect is earned. Ratzinger has done nothing to have earned my respect (if anything, the opposite) and thusly I'll make fun of him as much as I want. Plus, I mean, just look at the guy, come on, there's just so much material to work with. For example, Darth Benedict:

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I only try my best. It gets tiresome having to do this over and over and over and over again repeatedly.
    Sucks when the thing you're trying to defend turns out to be pretty indefensible, huh?

No actually it isnt. Issues concerning who goes to Hell and why can very much be discussed in a civil manner, and have done so.
    I have a couple of issues with this:
    1. This presupposes that there is a heaven/hell, which I and many others don't buy into, but I'll skip past that.
    2. Assuming a universe where heaven/hell do exist, and a Christian/Catholic interpretation of that, those ideologies pretty explicitly say it's not up to humans to judge who goes to heaven or hell or purgatory or what have you (e.g., "judge not lest ye be judged").

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's seemingly always acceptable to bash the biggest or most dominant of anything, whether it be Catholicism, American culture, or the New York Yankees.
    Hmm, kind of like when Lark said this earlier in the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I could go into a long winded discussion of how the terrible crimes perpetrated by individuals, who just so happened to be priests, were made possible by cultural contexts in which the rights of children and other vulnerable individuals where considered a poor second to avoidance of scandal by the SECULAR authorities and society at large, including SMUG ATHIESTS or anti-capitalists. I'm not going to bother because I've done it a million times and yet to hear an ounce of consideration in response.
    Essentializing language is only bad when the people who use it also believe it to be true, i.e. believing that all Catholics are child molesters, or that all atheists are smug assholes (um, just ignore the fact that I happen to be a smug atheist in this instance ).
    “My generation's apathy. I'm disgusted with it. I'm disgusted with my own apathy too, for being spineless and not always standing up against racism, sexism and all those other -isms the counterculture has been whinning about for years.” -Kurt Cobain

The largest religion in Australia now is Roman Catholicism, but 90% of Catholics don't go to Mass. However most of them send their children to Catholic schools.

This is hard to understand unless they see Catholic schools as cheap private schools, or perhaps they are cultural Catholics and want to pass their culture onto their children.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by soccerjunkie1996 View Post
    Sucks when the thing you're trying to defend turns out to be pretty indefensible, huh?
    Hey not bad for a loaded question.

I have a couple of issues with this:
    1. This presupposes that there is a heaven/hell, which I and many others don't buy into, but I'll skip past that.
    Yes that's the presumption here, since we're already talking about Catholic teachings.

2. Assuming a universe where heaven/hell do exist, and a Christian/Catholic interpretation of that, those ideologies pretty explicitly say it's not up to humans to judge who goes to heaven or hell or purgatory or what have you (e.g., "judge not lest ye be judged").
    Yes that's up to God, and that's what the Church teaches. So basically Nunki's argument here of the Church telling millions they're going to Hell is largely a strawman, since a Catholic does not necessarily have to believe anybody actually is in Hell. Not to mention, Church teachings on Hell dont have much relevance on the sex-scandal issue, much less justifying disrepecting the Pope upon his visit to a country.

a Catholic does not necessarily have to believe anybody actually is in Hell.
    Yeah, I was having dinner with a Catholic theologian in the Green Room of the Roundhouse in the University of New South Wales, and I gave him my best argument against Hell and he told me there was no reason to think there was anyone in Hell.

I said this was special pleading and pointed out that the Redemptorists never let on to me. The Redemptorists were simply intent on terrorising a little boy.