User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 66

  1. #41
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'll repeat, the people making jokes are only interested in taking cheap shots against the faith, too often because they're embittered about the Church and don't know how to move on in life.
    There are indeed, pressing issues within the Catholic church. This should be the crux of the issue. There are other social issues that are more fortified against criticism because they do not deal with matters of faith.

    For instance, if I were to come up to you with fomenting zeal, proclaiming that the earth was flat, rather than round, you would certainly think that my conjecture is mad because all evidence points to the contrary. And it is this same zeal that magnifies my insecurity, for my argument is not based on evidence.

    Now, if you were absolute in your beliefs, would you block me? Would you ignore me or shun me? I'm sure you could find a photograph of the earth - so why would you be insecure about your position?

    Such is the case with matters of faith. The faithful stifle any sort of dissent because they are insecure and unable to undo counterpoints with something as simple as a photograph.

  2. #42
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I hate to break the news to you, but the Catholic church doesn't own the franchise on faith.
    If you don't know the difference between a mere religious organization and 'faith,' then your problems are more serious than I previously thought.
    You're just getting more silly by the minute:
    Catholicism is a broad term for the body of the Catholic faith, its theologies and doctrines, its liturgical, ethical, spiritual, and behavioral characteristics, as well as a religious people as a whole.[1][2]


    Catholicism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You mean to tell me in your years as a Catholic you never the heard of "the faith" or "the Catholic faith" before? My goodness. Even non-Catholics recognize those terms readily.

  3. #43
    AKA Nunki Polaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So civil discourse concerning salvation and damnation is not an option here? Interesting.
    Civil discourse about how a person should go to hell is an oxymoron.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

  4. #44
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    Civil discourse about how a person should go to hell is an oxymoron.
    No actually it isnt. Issues concerning who goes to Hell and why can very much be discussed in a civil manner, and have done so.

    Now pardon me, I have a few pressing issues to attend to right now.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You mean to tell me in your years as a Catholic you never the heard "the faith" or "the Catholic faith" before? My goodness. Even non-Catholics recognize those terms readily.
    I never dealt with priests arrogant enough to suggest the only faith was Catholic.
    Frankly, I used to sleep through mass.
    Listening to the priest read stories from an old Stephen King novel every Sunday, made me sleepy.
    The future is for the unafraid.

  6. #46
    AKA Nunki Polaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    No actually it isnt. Issues concerning who goes to Hell and why can very much be discussed in a civil manner, and have done so.

    Now pardon me, I have a few pressing issues to attend to right now.
    I can see no way, no matter how sugarcoated it may be, that a person can tell me in a civil fashion that I deserve a fate worse than death. You can dress a barbaric thought in pretty words, but it's still barbaric.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Have you lost your fucking mind? No one is insulting you, personally.
    We all insulted the Pope.
    If you're a Catholic, what's the difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Religious scholar Philip Jenkins wrote a book on this in which he labelled Anti-Catholicism "the last acceptable prejudice".
    Well, Catholics and fat people, anyway. It's fair game and fun for all to paint Catholicism with a broad brush based on what an infinitesimal minority of clergy do, but see how acceptable it is to label Arabs as terrorists, Native Americans as alcoholics, feminists as man-haters or Jews as clannish. All true in a small number of cases, none representative of their groups as a whole.

    It's seemingly always acceptable to bash the biggest or most dominant of anything, whether it be Catholicism, American culture, or the New York Yankees.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  8. #48
    Member ElizaJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    Anyway I think it's pretty ironic that you are being as rude and ignorant of non catholics as you claim they are being about you guys. Thats really just not cool.
    It's pretty clear to me that Peguy has been far from "rude" in this thread. Making that sort of statement doesn't help your argument at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its not less acceptable to criticise Catholicism, exactly the contrary, you can say things now about Roman Catholics and the Catholic Church that you cant say about other faith communities, minorities, homosexuals, liberals, conseratives, pretty much anyone else.
    Precisely.

  9. #49
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post

    Now pardon me, I have a few pressing issues to attend to right now.

  10. #50
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    I can see no way, no matter how sugarcoated it may be, that a person can tell me in a civil fashion that I deserve a fate worse than death. You can dress a barbaric thought in pretty words, but it's still barbaric.
    Agreed. Having been raised Catholic, I know that telling someone they will go to Hell is sinful and frowned upon.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

Similar Threads

  1. Puerto Rican majority votes to make territory a state for the first time.
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 10:43 PM
  2. Double Majors, and to Study or not Study Abroad?
    By Antimony in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM
  3. This shy person decaded to visit you...
    By Capricorn Moon in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 02:16 AM
  4. Want to visit Canexas?
    By sculpting in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO