User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Oh, now you change your word to "faith" since you found out I was raised Catholic?
    Well, that's mighty slick of you.
    If semantics are the only thing you can rely upon, then you're getting desperate.

And I should pay attention to Hans Kung why?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post

Religious scholar Philip Jenkins wrote a book on this in which he labelled Anti-Catholicism "the last acceptable prejudice".
    Doesn't that predispose Catholicism to be at the vanguard of all ideology, religion, and so forth? Doesn't that make it more acceptable to criticize others from a Catholic standpoint? Sounds bigoted to me. Why would it be less acceptable to criticize Catholicism. I gotta hear this.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Fair play to you Peguy, you've carried on a discussion with most of my ignore list, taken their points at face value and answered with consideration. Its more than I'd have done.

Anyway, seen a hell of a lot of stock prejudices and grudges regurgitated in a pretty unthinking manner here, shocked at the very idea that the church authorities or parishioners are ignoring anything, especially now.

I could go into a long winded discussion of how the terrible crimes perpetrated by individuals, who just so happened to be priests, were made possible by cultural contexts in which the rights of children and other vulnerable individuals where considered a poor second to avoidance of scandal by the SECULAR authorities and society at large, including SMUG ATHIESTS or anti-capitalists. I'm not going to bother because I've done it a million times and yet to hear an ounce of consideration in response.

In all likelihood I'm being defensive or cover for being a closet whatever.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    And something drew you back so you clearly don't have the same mindset as other non catholics.

Anyway I think it's pretty ironic that you are being as rude and ignorant of non catholics as you claim they are being about you guys. Thats really just not cool.
    If somebody is being rude to my faith, I'm not going to take that laying down. If somebody is interested in an actual discussion about the matter or anything else concerning Catholicism, then I'll be more than happy to do my best to participate. I have plenty of discussions here with non-Catholics.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    Doesn't that predispose Catholicism to be at the vanguard of all ideology, religion, and so forth? Doesn't that make it more acceptable to criticize others from a Catholic standpoint? Sounds bigoted to me. Why would it be less acceptable to criticize Catholicism. I gotta hear this.
    Its not less acceptable to criticise Catholicism, exactly the contrary, you can say things now about Roman Catholics and the Catholic Church that you cant say about other faith communities, minorities, homosexuals, liberals, conseratives, pretty much anyone else.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Fair play to you Peguy, you've carried on a discussion with most of my ignore list, taken their points at face value and answered with consideration. Its more than I'd have done.
    I only try my best. It gets tiresome having to do this over and over and over and over again repeatedly.

If semantics are the only thing you can rely upon, then you're getting desperate.
    You changed the wording on your post as soon as you realized I was Catholic. Or used to be.
    That means you're desperate.

Oh, hey? Have you heard the great news?
    Pope Benedict: Accused of engineering global cover-up in Catholic Church child sex abuse cover-up.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You changed the wording on your post as soon as you realized I was Catholic. Or used to be.
    That means you're desperate.
    No just means I used a different word. I often use Catholic "church" and "faith" interchangably, as can be seen in numerous posts Ive written on the matter. You really want to drag this out only shows you don't have an argument. Same goes with repeating Hans Kung accusation.

You're seriously in need of help in forging more effective arguments against Catholicism, so I'm going to give you some help:
    [youtube="QQ3wETwMfZg"]Refuting Catholicism[/youtube]

Enjoy!

No just means I used a different word. I often use Catholic "church" and "faith" interchangably,
    I hate to break the news to you, but the Catholic church doesn't own the franchise on faith.
    If you don't know the difference between a mere religious organization and 'faith,' then your problems are more serious than I previously thought.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think he meant the terms Catholic church and Catholic faith, not all faith. I could be wrong; this is just my read based on Peguy's idiosyncratic use of quotation marks.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii