User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

If the figureheads of the Catholic Church, had behaved responsibly...I doubt there would be any jokes to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I mean how many fucking times have we already heard jokes about child abuse or condoms over the past decade or so? Try to be a little more original will ya?
    How many times do innocent children have to be sexually abused while the church covers up the crimes?
    Try to be a little more original, will ya?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I have no problems with free speech kiddo. I only have a problem with people who think they're being cute making stale lame-ass knee-jerks against the figurehead of my religion. I mean how many fucking times have we already heard jokes about child abuse or condoms over the past decade or so? Try to be a little more original will ya?

Yup!

To be honest you're not bringing much to the table if you respond to a thread about the insulting of visiting leaders of worldwide religions with BS like "that's so LOL, blah, blah and further insults".

Although I'm sure its what all those people who were or are tortured, murdered, martyred or otherwise killed or sacrificed something for free speech had in mind and they will be glad they won the right to be assholes for kids today.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    If the figureheads of the Catholic Church, had behaved responsibly...I doubt there would be any jokes to be made.
    Anti-Catholic humour in England dates back centuries, and it was transferred to America later on. And I'm not just talking about jokes about Irish immigrants in the 19th century either.

Historian John Higham described anti-Catholicism as "the most luxuriant, tenacious tradition of paranoiac agitation in American history".[1] Sentiment against the Roman Catholic Church and its followers, which was prominent in Britain from the English Reformation onwards, was exported to the United States. Two types of anti-Catholic rhetoric existed in colonial society. The first, derived from the heritage of the Protestant Reformation and the religious wars of the sixteenth century, consisted of the "Anti-Christ" and the "Whore of Babylon" variety and dominated anti-Catholic thought until the late seventeenth century. The second was a more secular variety which focused on the supposed intrigues of the Roman Catholics intent on extending medieval despotism worldwide.[2]

Historian Arthur M. Schlesinger, Sr. characterized prejudice against the Catholics as "the deepest bias in the history of the American people"[3] and conservative Peter Viereck once commented that "Catholic baiting is the anti-Semitism of the liberals." [4]

Anti-Catholicism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Religious scholar Philip Jenkins wrote a book on this in which he labelled Anti-Catholicism "the last acceptable prejudice".

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I have no problems with free speech kiddo. I only have a problem with people who think they're being cute making stale lame-ass knee-jerks against the figurehead of my religion. I mean how many fucking times have we already heard jokes about child abuse or condoms over the past decade or so? Try to be a little more original will ya?
    Sorry Peguy, but I really dont think that someone insulting your pride by poking fun at something you believe in quite compares to child molestation.

Sniffles

Speaking of Philip Jenkins - a non-Catholic for the record:
    "My research of cases over the past 20 years indicates no evidence whatever that Catholic or other celibate clergy are any more likely to be involved in misconduct or abuse than clergy of any other denomination -- or indeed, than nonclergy. However determined news media may be to see this affair as a crisis of celibacy, the charge is just unsupported.

Literally every denomination and faith tradition has its share of abuse cases, and some of the worst involve non-Catholics. Every mainline Protestant denomination has had scandals aplenty, as have Pentecostals, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jews, Buddhists, Hare Krishnas -- and the list goes on. One Canadian Anglican (Episcopal) diocese is currently on the verge of bankruptcy as a result of massive lawsuits caused by decades of systematic abuse, yet the Anglican church does not demand celibacy of its clergy.

However much this statement contradicts conventional wisdom, the "pedophile priest" is not a Catholic specialty.

Forum: The myth of the 'pedophile priest'

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Yes, churches are great places for sociopaths to hide.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    Sorry Peguy, but I really dont think that someone insulting your pride by poking fun at something you believe in quite compares to child molestation.
    Except that the people making the jokes don't really care about child molestation, but simply want to make cheap shots against Catholicism. As I just posted above, actual research shows that sex abuse is just as prevelant(if not more) in other religions and institutions. Hofstra University researcher Charol Shakeshaft summed up the situation in regards to sex abuse in public schools: "[T]hink the Catholic Church has a problem?...The physical sexual abuse of students in schools is likely more than 100 times the abuse by priests." (source).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    It's not pride—the poking fun represents something much bigger. I've dealt with Catholic bashing on an almost daily basis since high school (last night at a gathering of friends, even). It's become an acceptable practice for Americans, and we're growing weary of all the rude remarks.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Peguy makes a point.
    And being impolite is never a good thing, really.
    I'm not a Catholic or a Christian, even, but the Pope is a holy man, and must be treated with reverence.
    Most of you need to learn some manners.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come