User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    One day and the next Rainne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    899

    Default Punished for Questioning the Teacher?

    Not sure if this is really a legitimate article but...

    Punished For Being Awesome? The Most Ridiculous Detention Slips Of All Time (PICTURES)

    A kid gets detention for insisting the length of a kilometer is not greater than the length of a mile.

    EDIT: Oh shoot, I just read the date and the detention note was like 16 years ago -_-
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

  2. #2
    Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    4,797

    Default

    " Although he was correct....Alex would be better off simply accepting my teachings without resistance"
    Hilarious!
    Even if it's not genuine it reeks of how the school system works.
    Prime example of why we should always question authority.


    I had an argument with a teacher of mine in the first year of secondary regarding the definition of vegetarianism.... we got a dictionary...she was wrong

    I had an argument with a different teacher the following year regarding Jewish prayer (He was Jewish), he came back the next day to tell me he was wrong....

    I was pretty rebelious and sometimes wrong but i always enjoyed the challenge.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

  3. #3
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    "You're lying to the class". Priceless.

    Ok. I can actually understand both sides. It's all about how things are said. The note isn't really that informative. If the boy only said what he said and urged others to question what was said to them in class, then that's just stating the facts. He has every right to do so.

    But who knows what else was going on.

    I say it's perfectly fine to create a discussion on things and let both sides voice their arguments, and people who are in fact mistaken face up to their mistakes. But if it turns out to become some power-fest to make up for wounded egos and a public mockery where neither party will budge just because they can, then that's not helpful.

    "...better off simply accepting my teachings without resistance". Sheeple, baah.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    EDIT: Oh shoot, I just read the date and the detention note was like 16 years ago -_-
    Why should it matter? There are idiots everywhere, no matter what date it happens to be.

  4. #4
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    "You're lying to the class". Priceless.

    Ok. I can actually understand both sides. It's all about how things are said. The note isn't really that informative. If the boy only said what he said and urged others to question what was said to them in class, then that's just stating the facts. He has every right to do so.

    But who knows what else was going on.

    I say it's perfectly fine to create a discussion on things and let both sides voice their arguments, and people who are in fact mistaken face up to their mistakes. But if it turns out to become some power-fest to make up for wounded egos and a public mockery where neither party will budge just because they can, then that's not helpful.

    "...better off simply accepting my teachings without resistance". Sheeple, baah.



    Why should it matter? There are idiots everywhere, no matter what date it happens to be.
    What is the basis of authority?

  5. #5
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    ^ As in, just because someone is wrong, doesn't mean you have to be rude about it.

    Some people seek the truth, and want only the truth spread.. I don't think people are particularly rude about this either, however annoyed/irritated they might feel with misinformation is present.

    But.. Some people just want to bask in their genius glory every time they correct someone. They simply get some mental masturbation from watching someone absolutely revealed to be a fool by their hands. The motivation is not truth here.. it's humiliation, and satisfaction in having some legitimate excuse like 'the truth' to back to their uglier motivations.

    I'm a substitute teacher.. I don't know how many times students attempt this sort of thing on me like I'm some total retard. They get some kick out of attempting to prove the Sub. wrong on material straight from their own teacher. They want us to look like morons so that they have an excuse to ignore us. It has nothing to do with actually desiring the truth.

    With that said.. A lot of detention notes are worthless. I could have added the only time I was ever sent to detention to this list.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  6. #6
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    This is why I've taught my little know-it-all spawn to be polite. It's a lot easier to get away with correcting a teacher if they already like you.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  7. #7
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    What is the basis of authority?
    Power. I guess in this instance it's credibility. The teacher lost his credibility and thus, power, when he insisted that his word should be taken without questioning. As I said, there could have been numerous things that went on with the dynamic between the teacher and his students.

    Just because you happen to have a higher status as a teacher doesn't mean that when you are wrong, something that can be factually proven, you automatically have the right to demand respect no matter what. I'm not saying the boy's actions were correct, he could have probably handled the situation better. But so could have the teacher.

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ As in, just because someone is wrong, doesn't mean you have to be rude about it.
    Yes, exactly.

  8. #8
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    What is the basis of authority?
    To the point as always, wildcat.

    Authority that is not credible is not an authority.

    Credibility is not negotiable.


  9. #9
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ As in, just because someone is wrong, doesn't mean you have to be rude about it.

    Some people seek the truth, and want only the truth spread.. I don't think people are particularly rude about this either, however annoyed/irritated they might feel with misinformation is present.

    But.. Some people just want to bask in their genius glory every time they correct someone. They simply get some mental masturbation from watching someone absolutely revealed to be a fool by their hands. The motivation is not truth here.. it's humiliation, and satisfaction in having some legitimate excuse like 'the truth' to back to their uglier motivations.

    I'm a substitute teacher.. I don't know how many times students attempt this sort of thing on me like I'm some total retard. They get some kick out of attempting to prove the Sub. wrong on material straight from their own teacher. They want us to look like morons so that they have an excuse to ignore us. It has nothing to do with actually desiring the truth.

    With that said.. A lot of detention notes are worthless. I could have added the only time I was ever sent to detention to this list.
    You discern between the seeker of the truth and the one who wants to bask in her glory.
    Quite right.
    Ego dispels truth, truth the ego.

    Who is more likely to be concerned about the ego, the teacher or the student?
    You already answered the question.

    The one who obstructs the truth does not obstruct the ego.

  10. #10
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    To the point as always, wildcat.

    Authority that is not credible is not an authority.

    Credibility is not negotiable.

    Neither is the accurate comment from the back seat of the classroom.

Similar Threads

  1. Question for all the introverts
    By RedAmazoneFriendZone in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-29-2016, 08:58 PM
  2. [MBTItm] A question for all the INTx ladies...
    By Angry Ayrab in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 11:21 AM
  3. [NT] A Question for All the INTx gentlemen
    By Uytuun in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 03:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO