User Tag List

First 12

Umm...

So 1 km is not equal to 0.621 miles? What am I missing here?

MBTI
    INTP

When teaching, if I'm wrong about something, it's rarely content. It's usually about something the school is doing: picture day or field trip information. Either way, if a student is insistent, I'll always say, "Well, you might be right. Let's look it up." 98 times out of 100, I'm right, but it never hurts to throw that disclaimer on there to save face for both of us.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Neither is the accurate comment from the back seat of the classroom.
    Exactly. A fact is a fact; there is no debate.

Credibility comes before authority. An irony: the more credible one tries to be, the less credible one sounds.

Authority that is not credible is a mirage. It does not come with wearing a badge that says, I'm The Boss.

The emperor has no clothes.

MBTI
    ISFJ

What is this talk about being polite?

I can tell you back in school I'd gladly get detention (and I did more than once) to pay for my "crimes". Respect is earned, and that is a foreign concept in the class room but one I defended aggressively. I've been told I was not polite simply because I chose to regard the teacher as someone on the same level (no that doesn't include expressions like "dude" or anything like that), as an equal and not as a figure of authority. Never regretted anything I've done tho. Be careful what you mean when you teach your kids to be "polite".

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    Wht?

That happens to me all the time..

Stupid detentions for stupid reasons.
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."

- Jack Handey

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I went through that alot in school. Getting in trouble for pointing out when people are wrong, especially teachers.

I refuse to accept their frail little ego needing to be catered to, that they are willing to tell the entire class something that's flat out WRONG, and abuse their position of authority to misinform people, just because they don't want people thinking badly of them.

Too bad.

If yeu're wrong, yeu're wrong. Accept it and fix it. If yeu get pissy about being pointed out yeu were wrong, then don't be wrong and it won't happen.

I do not tolerate teachers who are only teachers because they like the acid-trip of godlike power they think it gives them. Some just flat out should NOT be in ANY position of authority over ANYONE. The only reason they are teachers is so they can show off to kids how 'smart' they are. They can't handle anyone being better than them and have to pick on little children to feel better about themselves. It pisses me off to no end to see a few like that, and I always made sure to make their lives miserable and point out every flaw I could on principle.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post

I can tell you back in school I'd gladly get detention (and I did more than once) to pay for my "crimes". Respect is earned, and that is a foreign concept in the class room but one I defended aggressively. I've been told I was not polite simply because I chose to regard the teacher as someone on the same level (no that doesn't include expressions like "dude" or anything like that), as an equal and not as a figure of authority. Never regretted anything I've done tho. Be careful what you mean when you teach your kids to be "polite".
    I'm thinking something along the lines of common courtesy and a reasonable level of tact. It's a necessary life skill for the vast majority of people.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Works View Post
    When teaching, if I'm wrong about something, it's rarely content. It's usually about something the school is doing: picture day or field trip information. Either way, if a student is insistent, I'll always say, "Well, you might be right. Let's look it up." 98 times out of 100, I'm right, but it never hurts to throw that disclaimer on there to save face for both of us.
    I do the same. I don't know everything. I do usually know the answer to most things that come up in class, but when someone asks something I'm not sure about, I willingly admit that I would have to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post

On one hand, I agree--I have never subscribed to the idea that certain human beings are more valuable than others, or that there should be a hierarchy. BUT, I have always treated my teachers with respect. What kyuuei is talking about is students who are usually too young and arrogant to see their own blind spots, and are on the lookout to prove their intellectual superiority. That type of arrogance has no place in a classroom. Most of the time, those students have closed themselves off to the possibility of learning, because they have already decided the teacher has nothing to offer. They are usually wrong, but cannot see it.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    Not sure if this is really a legitimate article but...

Punished For Being Awesome? The Most Ridiculous Detention Slips Of All Time (PICTURES)

A kid gets detention for insisting the length of a kilometer is not greater than the length of a mile.

EDIT: Oh shoot, I just read the date and the detention note was like 16 years ago -_-
    hee hee hee, the overall link was funny

it's not uncommon for teachers to hate being defied, no matter what.

i remember in the 3rd grade my teacher taught us to spell "cookie" as "cooky" with a 'y'. by that age everyone knew that "cookie" was spelled as such. but i knew better! i knew who was grading my test! my teacher. not miriam-webster. i was the only student in class to get 100% on that spelling test because i was the only student who spelled "cookie" as "cooky". i think the teacher was really happy too. see, win-win. :P

i also heard a story that my father (INTJ and currently an architect) found a new way to solve a math problem in elementary school. and his teacher got so angry he kicked him (corporal punishment was a-okay back then)

my friend's son at a private catholic school got a detention for helping another student move a desk. the student was moving their desk and my friend's son offered to help. i think my friend moved his son from the school the next year.

for the op though - i can see what the teacher may have been getting at. he thought the student was being super disruptive and undermining his authority in class. it's hard to lead a class and makes kids respect you and listen to you. and i think regardless of the motivation or intent children/adolescents can be really unruly, disruptive, and disrespectful. so if the detention had just been about that - makes sense. so just for unruly/disruptive behavior i could see why the student might have gotten a detention.

however - the last sentence of 'he should just accept my authority' (paraphrased) is the red flag. yikes. at least he's not kicking the kid.

i wonder if the parents/guardians fought the detention.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari