User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    My take is there is no way they didn't see this coming and they're just poking fun at all the fuss...
    I don't agree with censorship on principle, but aren't they asking for the reaction? So that they can then say how Muslims encourage censorship and are opposed to the freedom of speech, blah, blah...

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Josemaria Escrivá?
    Nope, not a fundamentalist. Try again.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Which is why I labeled their actions "despicable cowardice" relating to the "principle" of free speech, rather than "oppression" and the "violation" of free speech.
    Last time I checked Comedy Central wasn't a free-speech advocacy group. They are there to make money, not to fight terrorist threats. Maybe you hold for-profit business to unrealistic standards.

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    I don't agree with censorship on principle, but aren't they asking for the reaction? So that they can then say how Muslims encourage censorship and are opposed to the freedom of speech, blah, blah...

So the jihadi make death threats and we are to blame?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Nope, not a fundamentalist. Try again.
    What was he then?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Sniffles

What was he then?
    He was basically a leader in a Catholic revival movement, long story short.

A fundamentalist is somebody who upholds a literalist interpretation of holy scriptures. Catholicism has always maintained an allegorical interpretation of such. So a Catholic who upholds Church teachings cannot be a fundamentalist. Fundamentalism is largely a Protestant phenomenon, at least when concerning Christianity.

Now with the definition you gave in an earlier post, you could be more talking about Catholic Integrists, but they're not really fundamentalists. Some Intregrists didnt even believe in Catholicism at all, but supported it for merely cultural purposes. That does present some problems when trying to draw analogies to say Islamists.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

He was basically a leader in a Catholic revival movement, long story short.

A fundamentalist is somebody who upholds a literalist interpretation of holy scriptures. Catholicism has always maintained an allegorical interpretation of such. So a Catholic who upholds Church teachings cannot be a fundamentalist. Fundamentalism is largely a Protestant phenomenon, at least when concerning Christianity.

Now with the definition you gave in an earlier post, you could be more talking about Catholic Integrists, but they're not really fundamentalists. Some Intregrists didnt even believe in Catholicism at all, but supported it for merely cultural purposes. That does present some problems when trying to draw analogies to say Islamists.
    Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'll not make the same mistake again. I come from a "Catholic" background and didn't even know that.

Escrivá was still a Franquist though.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Fundamentalism is largely a Protestant phenomenon, at least when concerning Christianity.
    Yes, the very word 'fundamentalist' was invented in the United States to describe a particular Protestant sect. And now the word 'fundamentalist' has been generalised to describe those of even a different religion, such as Islam or Judaism or Hinduism.

Much as the word, 'propaganda' was invented to describe Catholic outreach, but has now been generalised to describe any form of persuasion.

And it is interesting that both words are now pejorative.

Sniffles

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I'll not make the same mistake again. I come from a "Catholic" background and didn't even know that.
    No problem. Many people, Catholic and non-Catholics, are kinda ignorant of this issue.

MBTI
    IsTP

Op-Ed Columnist - South Park - NYTimes.com

Across 14 on-air years, there’s no icon “South Park” hasn’t trampled, no vein of shock-comedy (sexual, scatalogical, blasphemous) it hasn’t mined. In a less jaded era, its creators would have been the rightful heirs of Oscar Wilde or Lenny Bruce — taking frequent risks to fillet the culture’s sacred cows... if a violent fringe is capable of inspiring so much cowardice and self-censorship, it suggests that there’s enough rot in our institutions that a stronger foe might be able to bring them crashing down.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"