User Tag List

First 123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

that's kind of... disturbing... like when Bob Jones lost their funding for banning interracial dating or something...

I went to a public university- we were allowed to fornicate to our hearts content as long as it wasn't with our own professor or something Most schools really cut down on their discrimination that way after the Bob Jones case, from what I've read. The thought that someone would be watching to see if you had sex is just creepy somehow *shudders*
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    that's kind of... disturbing... like when Bob Jones lost their funding for banning interracial dating or something...

I went to a public university- we were allowed to fornicate to our hearts content as long as it wasn't with our own professor or something Most schools really cut down on their discrimination that way after the Bob Jones case, from what I've read. The thought that someone would be watching to see if you had sex is just creepy somehow *shudders*
    There really wasn't much of a place to do it, TBH. Guys aren't allowed in the non-public areas of girls' dorms or visa-verse. Curfew was pretty early and campus buildings locked up. The school was in a small town in the middle of nowhere and in the nearest town large enough for a mall, people would still be able to tell where you were from and would often call the school if it looked like you were getting into mischief.

As far as I know the rules are still like that.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

wow... that would be nearly traumatic! Was there married student housing or anything? That kind of takes away from the college atmosphere in a way...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

wow... that would be nearly traumatic! Was there married student housing or anything? That kind of takes away from the college atmosphere in a way...
    There was married student housing and the Bible college was playfully referred to as Bridal college with the unofficial motto: Your ring by spring or your money back!

You weren't allowed to get engaged if you were under 21 (I don't remember that being enforced, but they didn't consider you officially engaged unless you had a ring) without your parent's permission and you couldn't get married during the school year.

Don and I got married the day after spring finals my freshman year (not quite as bad as it sounds since we were both 21).
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Oh no!!! Mrs Degrees!

that's very different dynamics and rules than there were at my college (Purdue)... there was married student housing there as well (I had a friend who got married at 19 and moved in there!) but putting rules on when you could get engaged or married sounds a bit stringent. Of course you weren't supposed to have members of the opposite sex in your rooom past 11 or something and even the coed dorms were split so that the guys were in a completely seperate wing of the building than the girls, but there were no rules based on what you did BEFORE 11 pm or when you got married

sounds very different

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Oh no!!! Mrs Degrees!

that's very different dynamics and rules than there were at my college (Purdue)... there was married student housing there as well (I had a friend who got married at 19 and moved in there!) but putting rules on when you could get engaged or married sounds a bit stringent. Of course you weren't supposed to have members of the opposite sex in your rooom past 11 or something and even the coed dorms were split so that the guys were in a completely seperate wing of the building than the girls, but there were no rules based on what you did BEFORE 11 pm or when you got married

sounds very different
    You get that with conservative religious schools. Really didn't bother me much at the time -- though it might have been nice to have gotten married on spring break. And I was irritated that something related to money (a ring) was considered a determining factor for whether or not your intentions were sincere and your relationship valid.

The daily chapel/church attendance/ministry participation requirements were much more bothersome to me. It was a different story for kids whose parents made them go there, though. Oh, and the dress code sucked -- we couldn't wear jeans to class.
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

:horor: no jeans... that's what my college wardrobe consisted of!

that would really be kind of restricting if your parents made you choose a school with such restrictive rules though

and attaching a monetary value to committment sounds downright old testament or something

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

:horor: no jeans... that's what my college wardrobe consisted of!

that would really be kind of restricting if your parents made you choose a school with such restrictive rules though

and attaching a monetary value to committment sounds downright old testament or something
    I don't think it was really that well-thought out. It was more of a middle/upper-middle class thing than a religious thing. It just didn't seem to occur to them that not everybody did the engagement ring thing.

Your parents choosing your school was also kind of foreign to me since I was essentially on my own at 18.
    ~ John Rogers

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

somehow I always find the upper and upper middle class version of religion to be somewhat terrifying... like my aunt's super rich father in law who made a huge donation to the religious college of his choice to guarentee that his grandkids got accepted and that they must take extra religion classes... and they complied

yeah, I had a choice of where to go so I picked by who bribed me the most... choosing a school for someone else seems kind of fanatical to me

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

somehow I always find the upper and upper middle class version of religion to be somewhat terrifying... like my aunt's super rich father in law who made a huge donation to the religious college of his choice to guarentee that his grandkids got accepted and that they must take extra religion classes... and they complied

yeah, I had a choice of where to go so I picked by who bribed me the most... choosing a school for someone else seems kind of fanatical to me
    Me too. However because of our experience with a private (read expensive) school, we do preach an anti-student loan, scholarship, scholarship, scholarship message to our children. And they know they are welcome to stay at home while they attend university in town if they like.
    ~ John Rogers