Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    YOU'RE ONE OF THEM, AREN'T YOU!!

*lights torch*
    no, unfortunately I'm stuck down here with my flax crackers

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    It's animalistic behavior. Size tends to correlate with physical prowess. Biggest dog usually gets the biggest chunk of meat.

If a tall guy acts pushy, people seem to view that as normal behavior. Shorter guys on the other hand, are accused of having "Napoleon complex".

I can't count how many times I had to establish my place in the social hierarchy by having faceoffs with various assortment of monkey-brained dickbags who assume that since I am 5'8 and 145lbs I am automatically a beta male bitch.

Agreed. People seem to characterize them in the context of their size and overlook many more important factors.. Like Edgar mentioned above, an assertive small man MUST be compensating for his small stature, or a submissive small man is simply intimidated by the taller men. The adjective 'little' is often used in a condescending emasculating way even if paired with a macho attribute: "he's a tough little guy" for example.

I am not short myself, but I feel like it's harder on men to be short than women (Not that there aren't biases about it with women), because size is associated with strength which is a stereotypical male value.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    ^That theory is BS, IMHO. I was tall in my childhood. I was almost adult height by the time I was eight. I'm a short ass now....so theory fail, as in, way too many exceptions to the rule.

I also think height discrimination in certain jobs is a necessity, as in you can't be too short or too tall, or it would seriously impede your ability to do your job properly.

I've never had trouble about my height.
    I think that claiming that being a tall adult correlates to being a tall child is BS because there are a lot of late bloomers, my brother is 6-4 and I'm 5-10 and we were both late bloomers, we were both average going into high school. And like you said, I know other shorter people who basically grew to their final height early and just stopped growing.

Often, I see shorter guys claim that girls don't like short guys but they wont date any women who are taller than them so I think that they themselves basically cut off a bunch of women from their possibilities.

I do think that women wouldn't have as much problem in the workplace being shorter. It's "cute" or "sexy" and shorter guys aren't considered that. I also think that adding height to things that are checked for discrimination in jobs isn't going to help anyone out.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Rainne View Post
    Voice discrimination I can sort of understand. I mean if the person's unattractive, you can just look away and focus on an object while he/she's talking, but you really can't compensate for an awkward voice.
    LOLOL. You made me laugh for real.

I will be super sure to check where your eyes are when I'm talking.

Height is also tied to race/ethnicity. I find a lot of stereotypes related to height for men don't hold true as far as personality. Actually, I think personality also plays a part. If you are a tall introvert or just shy, I think you're more likely to slump and withdraw your body because you're height makes you stand out. If you're a loud mouth and you're short, you'll stand up taller or take up more space to be more of a physical presence.

I have heard and believe early experience and height has something to do with personality as well. I was always tall for my age so I got treated as 'older' even when I wasn't. Not fair! Like once I was waiting in line for some treasure hunt or something at some family friendly picnic event, and the woman running it wouldn't let me participate! I was the same age as everyone else but she thought I was 'too old' (meaning too tall). Jerk lady!!!!

I'm sure if you are short for a male and you have a stronger personality or are naturally extroverted, the fact you get overlooked early in life due to height probably does push you to be more assertive, more vocal, etc.

And sometimes I think people don't care about their own size. Loudmouths are loudmouths, and sometimes adults are like children and dogs (okay that sounded really bad, hear me out) but they basically don't know how big or small they are. Children and dogs have un-selfconscious and if you've ever seen dogs, you know that they don't know how 'big' they are and the dominant dogs are not necessarily the largest dogs by a long shot.

Being a taller bigger female, I think that might have helped me with my confidence? I know I'm not familiar with being intimidated *physically* with men just because of gender or size difference. I think for my much more petite friends there is much more consciousness around that.

Whoa -anywhoo to bring it back to the OP - high paying competitive fields draw very ambitious people. I think the 'Napoleonic complex' has a grain of truth in it. I think aspiring alpha males are generally on the abrasive and pushy side at work, and as they are super self conscious (egotistical?) I really do believe they compensate for their perceived flaws/weaknesses. Some fields are more image conscious than others - why do you think there is an army of designer (like) suits on Wall Street?

I think open height discrimination would be more likely in old-school societies though.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I'm wondering about how people view other's height. About what people do that changes how tall they are viewed as. How big an effect does posture/personality have on how other's view height. People constantly think I'm taller than I really am. Even when the other person is taller it seems everyone views me as if I was 2-3 inches taller. I'd think with how introverted I am and how often I slump it'd be the opposite.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    no, unfortunately I'm stuck down here with my flax crackers
    "Trust not a man who's rich in flax-"
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

Haha, it's funny, because I'm only 5'2". I really don't mind being short; nobody really teases my height. Whoever does sees my wild side. I'm usually very friendly and nice, and it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure about the business world though. Height discrimnation.. I want to work privately with one on one (psychiatrist) so it doesn't really matter to me. I don't really want to work at a big office, though I'm sure I'll snap whoever tries to overlook me because of my height. Those people are usually very ignorant, and sometimes a bit cocky. Okay, very cocky, but meh.

EVERYONES LOVES SHORTS PEOPLES!

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    EVERYONES LOVES SHORTS PEOPLES!
    A friend gave me a badge in secondary school that said "small is beautiful"....
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Yeah, I'm really sick of bumping my head on the door frame.