First 23456 Last

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Oh, and i do wear VERY high heels, i even wear heels driving.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    I recall reading about a study that suggested childhood height was a far better indicator of career success than adult height
    Yes, I believe the study concluded that tall men are accustomed to being deferred to during childhood, so they carried that expectation into the workplace. Act like a leader and you will be treated like one.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Oh, and i do wear VERY high heels, i even wear heels driving.
    Why?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Why?
    Because i love them!
    Unless i am doing something that requires flat shoes i.e running around the park, then you will find me wearing heels. I like the shape that it gives to the legs, plus the feeling and look of tautness on the muscles.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Thats interesting, I think i may be heightist towards men , i'm 5ft nothing but i have only ever had relationships with guys 5ft11 and taller. I know i attract taller guys and i definately prefer them. Once (as a teenager) i had a boyfriend who was 6ft5...a foot and a half taller, that was hilarious!
    I'm not "heightist" ha ha...my longest relationship as an adult was with a guy who is 5'8"...but my high school bf was like 6'3" or 6'4".

I was brought up in a group with five boys, i was the toughest, the best at sport and the fiestiest of all.
    The thing is i think a lot of this "in the workplace" discrimination would probably also come down to type. Being an ENFP gal i'm assertive so i'm not sure that the discrimination heightism would apply to me so much....?
    I'm not that tough, but I'm extremely assertive, too.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I'm not "heightist" ha ha...my longest relationship as an adult was with a guy who is 5'8"...but my high school bf was like 6'3" or 6'4".

I'm not that tough, but I'm extremely assertive, too.
    We assertive girls rock
    Come to think of it the few girlfriends i have had have been tall too....

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    But there are ones bigger than that, they freak me out.
    Really? The people who freak me out are the ones who start swearing at your face for no reason. You know, random people just going up to you and start sprouting spit.

I don't care about their height. Unless they've bulging muscles.. I'd be a bit nervous, though I won't be freaked out.

If they start contorting maybe..

5'2" male here; so I'm short. But I like it !

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Apparently the average height of the US presidents is above 6'. Hillary Clinton is 5'8'' and a half. Not that that is saying much, just thought it was interesting.

Oddly enough, the successful private school I went to had an average height, in the higher years, of 6' or so for males. Its sister school was a similar case. They selected most of their students at the ages of 5 and 11. These are the people who almost always go to the higher ranked universities.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I wonder if there's gender correalation here. I mean, I wonder if this affects men more than women.
    Were the studies showing a relationship between height and income done on both sexes, or just men?
    Well there's this: "Height was somewhat more strongly related to success for men (rho =.29) than for women (rho =.21), although this difference was not significant."

Most studies suggest similar.

I recall reading about a study that suggested childhood height was a far better indicator of career success than adult height (men who were tall for their age as children were most successful), which would support the theory that these findings are due more to socialization than discrimination. I'm pretty sure this study only involved males though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Yes, I believe the study concluded that tall men are accustomed to being deferred to during childhood, so they carried that expectation into the workplace. Act like a leader and you will be treated like one.
    So, height discrimination in childhood leads to it in adulthood. Not surprising, and makes it doubtful that discrimination vanishes as people age.

It's also worth mentioning that a lot of these studies account for a wide range of variables outside of height. Including job performance and personality traits. How much so varies, and how exactly they measure them I am unsure of.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Tall people get all the good chips! I have to bring my own latter if I want salt & vinegar chips.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    Tall people get all the good chips! I have to bring my own latter if I want salt & vinegar chips.
    mmmm....salt and vinegar chips....