User Tag List

First 111920212223 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, you remind me a lot of each of them.
    So why don't you follow me again?

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    So why don't you follow me again?
    I could give you an honest answer but I'd be banned wouldnt I?

MBTI
    INTJ

I could give you an honest answer but I'd be banned wouldnt I?
    If you send it via PM, I can keep a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    If you send it via PM, I can keep a secret.

Ignored.

MBTI
    INTJ

Ignored.
    You don't like me?

Default Tea Party Express leader Mark Williams expelled over 'Colored People' letter Read mo

Racism is tearing the Tea Party movement apart.

BY Helen Kennedy
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 4:18 PM

Read more: Tea Party Express leader Mark Williams kicked out over 'Colored People' letter

The National Tea Party Federation has expelled a prominent activist group, the Tea Party Express, because it wouldn't rebuke and fire one of its leaders for writing an offensive blog post.

Mark Williams, a California radio host who is leading protests in New York against a proposed mosque near Ground Zero and has drawn Sarah Palin to his rallies, had previously called the President an "Indonesian Muslim turned welfare thug" and said Muslims were "animals" who worship "a monkey god."

But when he posted a satirical letter this week from "the Colored People" to President Lincoln about how little they want to work, that apparently crossed the line - especially after the NAACP called on Tea Party leaders to oust racists from their ranks.

"We have expelled Tea Party Express and Mark Williams from the National Tea Party Federation because of the letter that he wrote," federation spokesman David Webb said on CBS's "Face the Nation."

He called the July 14 letter "clearly offensive."

In the letter Williams posted on his blog, he wrote in what he said was the voice of slaves: "Mr. Lincoln, you were the greatest racist ever. We had a great gig. Three squares, room and board, all our decisions made by the massa in the house.

"We Coloreds have taken a vote and decided that we don't cotton to that whole emancipation thing. Freedom means having to work for real, think for ourselves, and take consequences along with the rewards. That is just far too much to ask of us Colored People and we demand that it stop!

"Please repeal the 13th and 14th Amendments and let us get back to where we belong."

On taxes, he added, "How will we Colored People ever get a wide screen TV in every room if non-coloreds get to keep what they earn? .. Bailouts are just big money welfare and isn't that what we want all Coloreds to strive for?"

Williams has since removed the letter, replacing it with a note urging followers to "fight those who seek to divide us by race."

In a press release, the National Tea Party Federation says it ordered the Tea Party Express to kick Williams out and say so "prominently" on their Website.

"They have no intention of taking the action we required," said federation spokeswoman Christina Botteri. "Therefore, effective immediately the National Tea Party Federation is expelling Tea Party Express from the ranks of our membership."

The federation says it represents 85 groups and more than a million activists.

Williams has had a rocky relationship with other Tea Party leaders, many of whom refuse to deal with him, but his group has more money and clout than most.

He stepped down as chairman of the Tea Party Express last month to concentrate on leading protests against the Lower Manhattan mosque, but remains a spokesman and chief public face of the group.

The Tea Party Express is one of the most influential in the conservative grassroots movement. It has reportedly raised $2.3 million this year alone and spent substantial sums to help elect Sen. Scott Brown in Massachusetts, as well as boosting once-unknown Sharron Angle in Nevada.

The group has organized three cross-country bus tours to oppose Obama administration initiatives. In March, it held a rally of 8,000 people in Searchlight, Nev. that featured a rare Palin speech.

Williams did not return emails seeking comment on Webb's declaration.

Read more: Tea Party Express leader Mark Williams kicked out over 'Colored People' letter

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Huh, didn't know about that one. Like I've said before, bad apples in every group. At least it was the Tea Party Federation themselves that gave 'em the boot. Gotta police up your own if they start getting stupid.

One note on the NTPF: They don't have any official control of the tea party movement (they are not a central control structure). The Tea Parties generally operate on the local and regional level. The NTPF seems to be trying to bring the whole thing under one organized system, from what I see.

Basically, the NTPF is comprised of Tea Party groups, but not all Tea Party groups are members of the NTPF.

It was smart on the part of the NTPF to expel that chapter. Racism is not what the tea party movement should be about. Unfortunately the racist jackasses in charge of that particular group (The Tea Party Express) will probably just keep on truckin', just without being able to say they're a member of the NTPF.

Straight from NTPF's website. Gotta give 'em some credit, at least they're trying to do the right thing here. The only thing they can do since they don't have any actual official power over the tea party groups:

press room

Effective Immediately, Tea Party Express Is No Longer a Member

of the National Tea Party Federation

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 at 3:43pm

Last night, the members of the National Tea Party Federation participating in an "All Hands" conference call unanimously decided the following:

The membership of the National Tea Party Federation has this evening suspended and will immediately expel Tea Party Express from any further association with the Federation should they fail to publicly rebuke Mark Williams and remove him from their ranks by 3 pm eastern time Saturday July 17.

The rebuke must take the following form:

1. Mark Williams must be officially removed from the ranks of the Tea Party Express.

2. Notice of Mark Williams' removal must be placed prominently on the official Tea Party Express website.

3. Tea Party Express must issue a press release articulating points 1 and 2 above.

Last night, a member of the National Tea Party Federation communicated our decision directly to a member of the leadership team of Tea Party Express. That leader's response was clear: they have no intention of taking the action we required for their group to continue as a member of the National Tea Party Federation.

Therefore, effective immediately the National Tea Party Federation is expelling Tea Party Express from the ranks of our membership.

Christina Botteri

christina.k.bo@gmail.com
    916-315-8989
    They gave Tea Party Express a chance. "Either ditch the racist idiot, or we ditch you". TPE chose wrong.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_400 View Post
    Huh, didn't know about that one. Like I've said before, bad apples in every group. At least it was the Tea Party Federation themselves that gave 'em the boot. Gotta police up your own if they start getting stupid.

One note on the NTPF: They don't have any official control of the tea party movement (they are not a central control structure). The Tea Parties generally operate on the local and regional level. The NTPF seems to be trying to bring the whole thing under one organized system, from what I see.

Basically, the NTPF is comprised of Tea Party groups, but not all Tea Party groups are members of the NTPF.

It was smart on the part of the NTPF to expel that chapter. Racism is not what the tea party movement should be about. Unfortunately the racist jackasses in charge of that particular group (The Tea Party Express) will probably just keep on truckin', just without being able to say they're a member of the NTPF.

Straight from NTPF's website. Gotta give 'em some credit, at least they're trying to do the right thing here. The only thing they can do since they don't have any actual official power over the tea party groups:

press room

They gave Tea Party Express a chance. "Either ditch the racist idiot, or we ditch you". TPE chose wrong.

Good to see. There is no central Tea Party committee, but I like that they aren't shoving this under the rug.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    With a Nazi, you'd have an argument for the high ground. With the vast majority of Tea Partiers, you would not.
    Well, you acknowledged enough of my point for my purposes. And my way of seeing it is that what the tea party wants to do would be quite harmful for this country and most of its people (and this in turn would probably even affect other parts of the world). They aren't like Nazis, but the overall point stands. We are not equals merely because we have a mutual opinion of the other.

And that is fine, but your disdain for the PRINCIPLES of these people is bleeding into a unfounded fear at what they might do.
    I think I have more reason to believe these things than you are giving me credit. You aren't even granting me anything. And actually I think the nature of their principles and the degree to which the radical elements have committed to them is a part of the danger.

And do what, exactly? Go Weather Underground on everyone in Washington?
    Perhaps, perhaps. At the very least, I'm expecting one assassinated Democrat, and at least one incident of mass vanadalism/rioting.

The nice thing about my situation here is that being wrong is good news.

But NOT a greater amount of derangement. The median Tea Partier is wealthier and better-educated than the median American. There has been almost no violence at their rallies. So, what is the basis for your assertion?
    I'm aware of their education and wealth, but I'm not sure why you mention it. Lord knows wealth and education don't do much to make a person less deranged.

I have essentially two bases for my assertion (it's really a prediction or an estimation, and I know that there is room for error).

1) The large amount of allusions to violence. You can say there has been little violence, but there has been a ton of threats of violence or calls to violence coming from the tea party, especially at the rallies. At the rallies, the speakers say things, the crowd members yell things, the crowd members carry signs, that all say "get violent!". The impression I get is that they are counting on the system to work for them, and get them what they want through representation. But if that doesn't happen, then the order is to go to your arms and get what you want by other means. And sadly this works all the way up. Politicians at the highest level withe most media exposure are trying to feed off a this sentiment, trying to score points by fanning the flames of aggression. So I would find it odd if you think there is no portent to conflict there.

2) I think the nature of the belief system is itself condusive to unrest. It combines absolutism with radical adjustment to the current system. These are people that want things to be very different, they want them to change very fast, and they are sure they have the right idea and have never signaled an interest in compromise. My sense is that the political conditions right now are at least as tense as they were in 1960s, but it could be as bad as the 1860s...

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Not if you're a Stalinist, no.
    I think adding your own element there misses the point, but more importantly, wouldn't change it anyhow. We are not equals merely because we have a mutual opinion of the other.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think adding your own element there misses the point, but more importantl, wouldn't change it anyhow. We are not equals merely because we have a mutual opinion of the other.
    Oh, I very much agree that one of us is in the right and the other wrong to the point of lunacy, even dangerous lunacy. I just think the latter is you.