First 81617181920 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

NAACP Resolution Calls on Tea Party to Repudiate 'Racist Elements' in Movement

That billboard must've been a goldmine to the NAACP!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Yeah, I tried to walk him through this... didn't get very far.
    I think I saw what you were intending to walk me through, and I didn't believe it was as meaningful as I suspect you believed it was. Not in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post

Yes, but then I read an article saying that they are "distancing themselves" from the charges of racism, which is concerning. If Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton aren't willing to risk losing face to go after the tea party, who will be?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post

NAACP used to be a proud organization. It's become a parody of itself.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Here's another good article about the Tea Party movement:
    The American Conservative -- Tea Party Crashers
    TAC holds grudges a loooooong time. I have met/corresponded with Justin Raimondo a few times, and I like him personally (he is brash, extroverted, and openly gay, which is naturally unusual in his paleolibertarian cohort). However, their criticisms of the organizational leaders of some of the Tea Party groups stem from intramural fighting within the libertarian movement. They HATE people like Charles Koch and the Cato Institute, after a sharp disagreement between Murray Rothbard and his faction. Ironic, since many people shunned Rothbard, Lew Rockwell, et al. after they aligned with Pat Buchanan and wrote/allowed publication of the racist comments in the Ron Paul Political Report in the early-1990s.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Lol! OP is a gross generalization. I know several tea party folks who are poor blue collars, not very religious (if at all), and in their 30-40's. The racism thing is a huge laugh to some of them, considering there's more than a few tea party supporters who are black or hispanic.

It reminds me of the one story of the guy carrying around the ar15 at one of the townhall meetings. The media used it to play up the racist gun nut slant...funny how there was no mention of the fact that said conservative guntoter was black.

Before y'all pass judgement, listen to both sides of the story. Most of the major news stations and papers are liberal leaning, foxnews and talk radio are conservative leaning. I'd suggest listening to both, they both demonize the other a bit so can't just go by one source.

3 sides to every story: Your side. Their side. And the truth.
    "People in glass houses shouldn't use Windex when living near bird sanctuaries."- myself

"We are never alone my friend. We are constantly in the company of victories, losses, strengths and weaknesses. Make no mistake, life is war...and war is hell. Those who fight the hardest will suffer the most...but that's what you have to do: Fight. As long as you're feeling pain, then there's hope...because only the dead do not suffer." -RD Metcalf
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yes, but then I read an article saying that they are "distancing themselves" from the charges of racism, which is concerning. If Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton aren't willing to risk losing face to go after the tea party, who will be?
    Maybe their rank-and-file aren't nearly as concerned with their leaders' faces?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_400 View Post
    Lol! OP is a gross generalization.
    It's a generalization, that much is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Maybe their rank-and-file aren't nearly as concerned with their leaders' faces?
    It's possible, but what are they concerned about? Why make that claim and then immediately withdraw afterwards. It looks like face saving to me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

It's possible, but what are they concerned about? Why make that claim and then immediately withdraw afterwards. It looks like face saving to me.
    I think many rank-and-file NAACP members are A) older and remember the organization from the days when it was trying to get them the vote and access to public facilities; and B) more concerned with practical matters than the elite of the organization. There would be some overlap between the concerns of middle-class, religious white Tea Partiers and working-class, religous (and often, socially conservative) blacks, wouldn't you think? Besides, the rank-and-file NAACP members would be, for the most part, more politically active than the average black American, and they'd probably notice the black and Hispanic Tea Party members/leaders.

MBTI
    INTJ

If Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton aren't willing to risk losing face to go after the tea party, who will be?
    You.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

The majority are probably people who don't know terribly much about what's going on and are easily lead around (as usual). There's a very loud minority of crazies and con-artists who unfortunately have a lot of influence.

The average person that identifies with the tea party can probably fire off a bunch of dandy phrases, but probably also lacks a particularly deep understanding of economics. And again, those that do, still subscribe to economic beliefs, I should particularly say socio-economic beliefs, that I reject anyhow.
    That all definitely seems true, especially as the movement has rapidly grown and popularized. But it also seems strange that people would be afraid of the ideals of a movement that can't agree on its own ideals.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.