User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    First of all, I disagree with the economic views that libertarians have.
    As is your prerogative.

Second of all, Tea party members such as yourself aren't necessarily the majority. The majority are probably people who don't know terribly much about what's going on and are easily lead around (as usual). There's a very loud minority of crazies and con-artists who unfortunately have a lot of influence.
    This is the case with every social movement throughout history, and the Tea Parties are no different.

For every professor passionately arguing against capitalism, you have ten of these voters:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI"]Obama will pay my mortgage![/YOUTUBE]

The average person that identifies with the tea party can probably fire off a bunch of dandy phrases, but probably also lacks a particularly deep understanding of economics. And again, those that do, still subscribe the economic beliefs, I should particularly say socio-economic beliefs, that I reject anyhow.
    Do you think most supporters of the Red Revolution had a graduate-level understanding of Marxist Theory?

Once you leave your Ivory Tower, you have to convince the masses of the quality of your ideas, and you cannot do that with long-winded lectures on theory. While most Tea Partiers do not understand the underlying mechanics involved, they can learn that too much regulation retards growth, and that unchecked spending/deficits can ruin nations.

In other words...

...keep it simple.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    LOL wut. Monetarism has dominated macroeconomic policy since the late '70s. It wasn't until the subprime crisis that neo-Keynesianism even had a seat at the table. Meanwhile, you still have people like Bernanke who think you can solve a demand-side problem by manipulating the money supply.
    Seat? Just months after they hijacked the table, they racked up nearly $2 trillion in debt!

It just don't work that way, and it's this sort of pseudointellectual snobbery that is the most irritating about the teabaggers.
    I don't believe that someone who uses the term "teabagger" has any place calling someone a pseudointellectual.

Sounds just a touch...hypocritical?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I don't think most of the people who voted for Obama were geniuses, no. That was never my point though.

The key thing is that I don't think they were.

1) As angry as the tea party.
    2) As extreme in their beliefs.
    3) As inclinced to undo or alter the current system we have.

They were, in other words, not radicals.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by eagleseven View Post
    Seat? Just months after they hijacked the table, they racked up nearly $2 trillion in debt!
    To stimulate demand. Fall asleep in Macro 101?

I don't believe that someone who uses the term "teabagger" has any place calling someone a pseudointellectual.

Sounds just a touch...hypocritical?
    Nope - especially since the teabaggers called themselves that to begin with. And since they insist on using debunked and discredited ideas like they will work JUST THIS ONCE if we BELIEVE ENOUGH!

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think most of the people who voted for Obama were geniuses, no. That was never my point though.

The key thing is that I don't think they were.

1) As angry as the tea party.
    2) As extreme in their beliefs.
    3) As inclinced to undo or alter the current system we have.

They were, in other words, not radicals.
    It appears to me that this current administration is:

1) Angry at America's "imperialist, colonialist" past.
    2) Seek to reconcile these perceived sins through unprecedentedly massive government programs (healthcare, for starters)
    3) Are actively changing(TM) the current system into a Western-European style Social Democracy, one 2000-page "comprehensive reform package" at a time.

Obama is, in other words, radical.

---

Of course, since you see America as an imperialistic Empire, since you think every good person should want to reconcile for those ugly centuries, since you think that Western European Social-Democracy is ideal, you sincerely believe that all these changes are not only normal, but necessary.

As I fundamentally reject your value system, you fear and loathe me.

MBTI
    INTJ

To stimulate demand. Fall asleep in Macro 101?
    My macro professor was an Austrian

Nope - especially since the teabaggers called themselves that to begin with.
    "They did it first!"

How old are you?

And since they insist on using debunked and discredited ideas like they will work JUST THIS ONCE if we BELIEVE ENOUGH!
    Perhaps you missed it, but Friedman won a Nobel prize disproving Keynesian stimulus 40 years ago, long after Keynes died. The Keynesian multiplier is less than one in industrialized societies. Hayek also did a number, with his business cycle theory.

Why Bush turned to Keynesian theory in 2008 is beyond me, but so are most of his thought processes.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

It appears to me that this current administration is:

1) Angry at America's "imperialist, colonialist" past.
    2) Seek to reconcile these perceived sins through unprecedentedly massive government programs (healthcare, for starters)
    3) Are actively changing(TM) the current system into a Western-European style Social Democracy, one 2000-page "comprehensive reform package" at a time.

Obama is, in other words, radical.
    I'd say that even Obama's goal were to make this country into something just like Norway (which as best as I can tell, that definitely isn't his goal), that still wouldn't be as dramatic a change as stripping back as much of the government as libertarians generally have in mind. You want to take the country back at least 100 years.

Of course, since you see America as an imperialistic Empire, since you think every good person should want to reconcile for those ugly centuries, since you think that Western European Social-Democracy is ideal, you sincerely believe that all these changes are not only normal, but necessary.

As I fundamentally reject your entire value system, you fear and loathe me.
    I don't suspect there will be much getting through to you, or even anything akin to reasonable discourse, based on this self-indulgent paragraph. I'm not going to put you on ignore, but for the purpose of this thread I'll treat you like I have.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'd say that even Obama's goal were to make this country into something just like Norway (which as best as I can tell, that definitely isn't his goal), that still wouldn't be as dramatic a change as stripping back as much of the government as libertarians generally have in mind. You want to take the country back at least 100 years.
    Considering that we have been on the road to Norway for the past 100 years, I agree.

I don't suspect there will be much getting through to you, or even anything akin to reasonable discourse, based on this self-indulgent paragraph. I'm not going to put you on ignore, but for the purpose of this thread I'll treat you like I have.
    Reasonable discourse? You're the one who fears and loathes me, remember?

If you do not fit the stereotypical college-aged Obama supporter that I described above, perhaps you should say so, or perhaps you should simply let your thread die a natural death.

Oberon

You fear and loathe those people whom you claim so easily fear and loathe others?
    Yeah, I tried to walk him through this... didn't get very far.

Oberon

Nope - especially since the teabaggers called themselves that to begin with.
    That's "Tea Party," not "teabaggers."

You'll have to point me to the reference that proves that this group of economic conservatives first applied a nickname to themselves that indicates practitioners of a deviant sex act.

Ordinarily that's not the sort of nickname one chooses for one's self.