User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Actually, the research has shown that the average Tea Partier has a firmer and wider grasp on current political issues than the average American does. They are just outside of the mainstream at the moment.
    If this is true, how come they never suggest cutting the military, which accounts for over half the budget?

Do they know something we don't? Is the military actually a racket that turns a profit?
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    If this is true, how come they never suggest cutting the military, which accounts for over half the budget?

Do they know something we don't? Is the military actually a racket that turns a profit?
    The military accounts for about 1/4th of the budget, actually. Entitlement spending is the plurality in the federal budget, followed by defense.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Very interesting article on Tea Party party demographics and beliefs:

Libertarians, Independents, and Tea Parties | Cato @ Liberty

Looks like it's more accurate to say that Tea Partiers are more conservatarian than most Republicans.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Very interesting article on Tea Party party demographics and beliefs:

Libertarians, Independents, and Tea Parties | Cato @ Liberty

Looks like it's more accurate to say that Tea Partiers are more conservatarian than most Republicans.
    That's what I expected. There are the nutcase, irrational, evangelical tea partiers (the ones that were screaming at town hall meetings), and there are more reasonable libertarian tea partiers.

Living in DC, I've seen a lot of tea partiers over the last several months. The ones that usually caught my eye were the nutcases (carrying signs or wearing t-shirts with things like Obama with a Hitler mustache).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That's what I expected. There are the nutcase, irrational, evangelical tea partiers (the ones that were screaming at town hall meetings), and there are more reasonable libertarian tea partiers.

Living in DC, I've seen a lot of tea partiers over the last several months. The ones that usually caught my eye were the nutcases (carrying signs or wearing t-shirts with things like Obama with a Hitler mustache).
    Yeah. I liked the Obama Joker ones, but now they have him with the hammer and sickle and all, and it's just silly.

I dont think that so called libertarians or tea partiers are more politically informed so much as ideologically entrenched, Marxists used to construct similar narratives about themselves or pay attention to others citation of similar narratives.

I say so called libertarians because you pretty much cant be a fiscal libertarian and still believe in any other facet of libertarianism, it means you dont care about important political questions such as power, individual sovereignty and choice, you just want privatisation, ie they cease to be a public and political question or dilemma.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont think that so called libertarians or tea partiers are more politically informed so much as ideologically entrenched, Marxists used to construct similar narratives about themselves or pay attention to others citation of similar narratives.
    No, they have a better fundamental grasp of what the government does than the average American. They are certainly ideologically entrenched, but those two things are not mutually exclusive.

I say so called libertarians because you pretty much cant be a fiscal libertarian and still believe in any other facet of libertarianism, it means you dont care about important political questions such as power, individual sovereignty and choice, you just want privatisation, ie they cease to be a public and political question or dilemma.
    That is an absolutely ridiculous statement.

Huge numbers of guns have been bought since the election. And now the guns are being openly displayed. And incitement is rife.

Are they preparing to assassinate the first black President?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Huge numbers of guns have been bought since the election. And now the guns are being openly displayed. And incitement is rife.

Are they preparing to assassinate the first black President?
    An impossible scenario, Victor. Can't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    An impossible scenario, Victor. Can't happen.
    Well they killed the Roman Catholic one.