User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It's a shame if there's a prevailing view that noone much takes an interest that something so shocking happens. Wouldn't you be disappointed if this happened to Obama and the chiefs of staff and the rest of the world said, why should we take an interest, there isnt anything any of us can do.
    Well, there wouldn't be anything any of us could do. Dead people tend to stay dead. And, it's not exactly like we haven't planned for it -- our Secretary of Transportation would become the next President.

However, back to LL, that was exactly what I was thinking when I first heard this story. Living in central Europe you'd think they would be paranoid enough not to put all their important dudes on one plane...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well, there wouldn't be anything any of us could do. Dead people tend to stay dead. And, it's not exactly like we haven't planned for it -- our Secretary of Transportation would become the next President.
    Oh I get it, if it was Obama etc, people in the US wouldn't care if people elsewhere didnt think it was a big deal or newsworthy?

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Oh I get it, if it was Obama etc, people in the US wouldn't care if people elsewhere didnt think it was a big deal or newsworthy?
    I think we would be too busy going "HOLY SHITMONKEYS ON A TOASTED BUN" to be paying much attention to what the general populace (note, not heads of state) are thinking.

Things are different when it's an emergency and there's still a chance people can be saved. This kind of thing? It's kind of different.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think we just need to wait and see what happens next to work out why it happened...
    In one word, hindsight
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I thought this thread was going to be about the Unabomber.

I want my money back.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post

However, back to LL, that was exactly what I was thinking when I first heard this story. Living in central Europe you'd think they would be paranoid enough not to put all their important dudes on one plane...
    It's not a matter of paranoia; it's a matter of national security. I doubt that if our head of state/government and his whole entourage went somewhere that they would all go on one plane!!! Even if everyone in the world loves you, which was surely not the case with Kaczynski, there can be bad weather, a technical malfunction, etc. Suddenly you and several of your ministers and important other officials are *poof* gone. You cannot tell me that wasn't poor thinking on the part of the Polish government.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Shut up about the Unabomber already.

Yeah, I saw this news online. U.S. news stations are talking very little about it; they mention that the President of Poland died and "about 100 others," not mentioning that those others were almost entirely high-ranking government officials. Kind of a big deal.

It was of even more interest to me that the original trip was to commemorate the Katyn massacre in Russia. Just the kind of diplomatic situation where you don't want anything to go wrong. Best wishes to Poland, and Russia has been supportive through this.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Shut up about the Unabomber already.

Yeah, I saw this news online. U.S. news stations are talking very little about it; they mention that the President of Poland died and "about 100 others," not mentioning that those others were almost entirely high-ranking government officials. Kind of a big deal.

It was of even more interest to me that the original trip was to commemorate the Katyn massacre in Russia. Just the kind of diplomatic situation where you don't want anything to go wrong. Best wishes to Poland, and Russia has been supportive through this.
    Thank you for understanding, Cimmy. Yes, the problem is indeed bigger than if Air Force One simply crashed in bad weather. Sure, the president would die in addition to a hell of a lot of others, but chances are that several of his ministers along with the Vice President and Speaker of the House and other important officials wouldn't all be on there at the same time (to make an analogy to the American system). Imagine! 100 people died. They have to have new elections because there is NO ONE LEFT to take over power except merely provisionally.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    and Russia has been supportive through this.
    Which in turn makes me nervous. They've been almost too supportive. I'm sorry to say this but when Russia is involved, something like this makes me suspicious.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Which in turn makes me nervous. They've been almost too supportive. I'm sorry to say this but when Russia is involved, something like this makes me suspicious.
    Ironic, isn't it? They go to commemorate a massacre, and another tragedy happens in almost the same place.

Maybe I was expecting too much from people to read into this without explaining the background. I wonder how much they all know about K. and his politics?