First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The plane was a Soviet-era Tupolev, built in Russia.
    Oh, that explains it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

The Polack president's plane crashed today. The President survived, because he had to tie his shoe and the pilot took off without him.

The Polack President's plane, bearing 99 passengers, crashed in a cementery near Warsaw. Polish authorities have recovered 455 bodies so far.

The Polack President's plane crashed today. The cause has been identified as the pilot having gone to take a nap without first engaging the autopilot.

Too soon?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    but what is an NGO?
    NGO's are Non-Governmental Organizations, such as Red Cross or Reporters Without Borders.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, that explains it.
    Actually, it kinda does. They're not really known for their reliability.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Georgia two summers ago proved that Russia has hegemonic control over the region.
    Poland is a member of NATO and the EU, Georgia is not; the results would be quite different if Russia attempted to do the same to Poland.

Given the nature and history of the Russian regime, I admit that I have to firmly restrain my suspicions toward them on this matter, but thus far (unless new information has come to light since last I checked), there is no evidence to suggest that this was anything but a tragic accident.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Poland is a member of NATO and the EU, Georgia is not; the results would be quite different if Russia attempted to do the same to Poland.

Given the nature and history of the Russian regime, I admit that I have to firmly restrain my suspicions toward them on this matter, but thus far (unless new information has come to light since last I checked), there is no evidence to suggest that this was anything but a tragic accident.
    Outside of the Cold War environment it was created in, NATO is meaningless as a set of mutual obligations. We're not going to risk nuclear war over Poland, or anywhere else in the former Warsaw Pact (except maybe the Czech Republic), it's as simple as that.

Looks like it was just an unfortunate accident, as you say.

Phantonym

Outside of the Cold War environment it was created in, NATO is meaningless as a set of mutual obligations. We're not going to risk nuclear war over Poland, or anywhere else in the former Warsaw Pact (except maybe the Czech Republic), it's as simple as that.
    Yup. However cold this kind of calculation might be, I happen to believe exactly the same. Everybody has certain interests and most of the time somebody turns out to be expendable.

MBTI
    INTP

Neither is Russia, which is why they are so opposed to further NATO enlargement. Besides, flaking on a mutual defense treaty (in this case both bilateral and through NATO) has ramifications far beyond Poland itself. Bottom line, NATO is a major strategic asset, and an attack on the smallest NATO country would be viewed the same as an attack on Japan.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Neither is Russia, which is why they are so opposed to further NATO enlargement. Besides, flaking on a mutual defense treaty (in this case both bilateral and through NATO) has ramifications far beyond Poland itself. Bottom line, NATO is a major strategic asset, and an attack on the smallest NATO country would be viewed the same as an attack on Japan.
    However, they may destabilize (or capitalize on a destabilization) Poland, seeking to influence the new guard of leadership to be more pro-Moscow, leading Poland to unilaterally rescind its NATO membership. This is more likely than you think, especially in light of the growing economic tensions within the EU.

An attack on the smallest NATO country is absolutely not the same as an attack on Japan, because NATO is almost entirely a unilateral treaty. We protect Japan because we don't want them becoming a regional hegemon again. We have almost entirely no reason to protect Poland.

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    One of the reports on the incident, indicated they refused to accept an alternate airport for landing. I see it as an example of government stupidity in action.
    It is the personal stupidity of the pilot who refused to land on the second designated location after three failed attempts and strong disapproval of the ATC. It is kinda strange though.