User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Why is "most of us in the US" that relevant. Perhaps this thread will remind people that there's a big world out there!
    Because most of the people on this site are from the US?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It's been all over Yahoo news, though. Hasn't been on the US TV news?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Dumb question, LL, but what is an NGO? I know nothing about european politics or political structures/orgs.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    You might want to point out that you're talking about the late President of Poland in the thread title, and not the Kaczynski most of us in the US would be familiar with - the Unabomber.
    I know, the title of the thread was confusing for me until I read the opening line. "OMG -- there's a been a massive prison explosion???"

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well this is what happens when you use coal to fuel your airplanes.
    Where's your next act -- a wake?

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    It's been all over the 'net, I just didn't know the president's name.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, all the people who stay up on the news and current events here do know about this. It's been all over the media.

Unfortunately that's only like 3% of Americans.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

The most I've seen is a small "oh, isn't that sad" blurb in newspapers, and filler used as a slight breaks between the rabid slavering over whether Obama prefers his toilet paper to roll over the top or from underneath. Really, what more of an interest would the average person here take in the story? It's not like it's something any of us can do anything about.

We've also had a bunch of domestic newsworthy stories that have dominated the headlines - the West Virginia mine tragedy, the nuclear weapons summit, and the retirement of Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Hmmm. It must have just gotten my attention because of the conspiracy theory possibilities.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Hmmm. It must have just gotten my attention because of the conspiracy theory possibilities.
    Yeah, it does look suspicious. However, even if there were foul play, I can't see what would change - Georgia two summers ago proved that Russia has hegemonic control over the region.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I'm really surprised no one posted anything about this incident. First, of course the situation is tragic. Apparently the Polish head of state flew to Katyn to commemorate the people who were killed there.

Strangely, he found it necessary to take 100 people with him, most of which were government officials or people from various NGOs (which makes me suspicious to start).

Query: In what plane of human existence does it make sense to take important government officials, NGO officials, and other leading members of various organizations, and put them ON ONE PLANE to commemorate an incident that happened 65 years ago???

Of course, what happened? The plane crashed, and now no one has any idea who the hell is going to run the country.

Let me get this right: Poland receives millions of euros in EU funding and doesn't even have the presence of mind to put these people on different planes in case disaster strikes? Shit fire.

Okay, I agree, this is tragic/sad/whatever. But it was also pretty effing stupid, you have to admit.
    I think you are reading far too much into that.

I am sure there had been a lot of instances before where people were using the same plane for the sake of efficiency and a plane crash is always a very unlikely event to happen. That it did happen is obviously very unfortunate, sometimes shit happens without anyone having had any ulterior motives.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Yeah, it does look suspicious. However, even if there were foul play, I can't see what would change - Georgia two summers ago proved that Russia has hegemonic control over the region.
    I'm not really thinking of it in any pragmatic way. Just possibilities for floating around in my brain waiting for more pieces to see if there is a puzzle and what kind of picture is on it. Curiosity and such.
    ~ John Rogers

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    See, I always pictured a Polish plane to be an aerial version of a viking ship: all the passengers have to grab an oar and flap the wings of the plane. They must have gotten tired.
    The plane was a Soviet-era Tupolev, built in Russia.