User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Kinda but not quite because they had full knowledge of what they were taking on.
    Just a sidenote, I messed up what I posted and didn't correct it before you could quote me. It doesn't end up making much of a difference to your point though. I just wanted to point that out.

No, you're right, but I don't think anyone knows what they're getting into when they adopt a child soldier. But yeah it is different. They don't omit the fact they are child soldiers in the first place.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    No, you're right, but I don't think anyone knows what they're getting into when they adopt a child soldier. But yeah it is different. They don't omit the fact they are child soldiers in the first place.
    Point taken, but personally, I don't see how you could not know. Their eyes look like death... Seriously.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

While I agree with you in the sense that it is now her child and she is and should be held responsible, you kinda wanna know if a kid has screws loose before you bring em home, and if they (the orphanage) willfully hid that as claimed, there is responsibility on their end too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    There's blame on both sides...

I mean, Russian orphanages have habits of covering up any physical/psychological issues children might have, and are only later revealed very frighteningly and dangerously once the child is adopted. Considering how far the country is it may not be possible for multiple visits, too.

However, surely there must have been a better way for this woman to handle it.
    Definitely. I agree with Hap, the woman in the news could have at least tried other alternatives that wouldn't involve releasing the boy back into the streets, where his psychological problems would simply exacerbate, and eventually transform him into a societal pest, if left unattended. Responding to irresponsible behavior with irresponsibility doesn't sound like the best way to convince the Russian child-adoption authorities that misinformation is highly unacceptable.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

why not adopt a kid from the U.S.?
    Everyone loves the "exotic" choices.
    A search for truth is a search for a greedy perspective.

Nah, that's not truth. That's just your bullshit ideas of truth. Truth is always inclusive. If it's not inclusive, then toughen it up and try harder.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    Responding to irresponsible behavior with irresponsibility doesn't sound like the best way to convince the Russian child-adoption authorities that misinformation is highly unacceptable.
    One would think but to the contrary:
    The Russian education ministry immediately suspended the license of the group involved in the adoption - the World Association for Children and Parents, a Renton, Washington-based agency - for the duration of an investigation. Lavrov said his ministry would recommend that the U.S. and Russia hammer out an agreement before any new adoptions are allowed...

"We have taken the decision ... to suggest a freeze on any adoptions to American families until Russia and the U.S.A. sign an international agreement" on the conditions for adoptions, Lavrov said.

He said the U.S. had refused to negotiate such an accord in the past but "the recent event was the last straw."

Pavel Astakhov, the children rights commissioner, said in a televised interview that a treaty is vital to protect Russian citizens in other countries.
    Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Everyone loves the "exotic" choices.
    Go figure, right?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Squeaky wheel gets the oil.
    Yeah, there's a silver-lining to every seemingly harsh decision, but I still wonder if there was anything else within the woman's power to bring up this issue to the authorities' attention. I'm not fully aware of every single legal possibility, or the details of her situation, so there's not much I could say on that part. Either this problem illuminates a conspicuously poor handle on familial support by the government, or simply her individual desperation (and even both).
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

Phantonym

why not adopt a kid from the U.S.?
    Maybe it's because adopting from Russia or other countries might be easier than from the US? I mean, they might be more lenient towards foreign adoption and conveniently disregard some things that wouldn't be disregarded in the US. The adoption criteria might be more lenient. The psycho factor, for example, some people just fall through the cracks. Some disturbed people are good at making their best impressions during only a few meetings. Who knows, things are always lost in translation, a bit of miscommunication here and there, psychiatric evaluations on the parents might not be as thorough as necessary (even when administered by doctors in the US).

MBTI
    INTP

I wouldn't have just put him on a plane by himself, but if the kid was seriously mentally disturbed with violent tendencies, and that fact had been concealed from me throughout the adoption process, I would probably not go, "Oh, well, let's just get him the help he needs!"

It's one thing to knowingly accept the baggage the kid comes with, but if you didn't know he had serious problems in the first place, I'd say it's unfair to just say "sorry, you signed a contract."
    Something Witty

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Maybe it's because adopting from Russia or other countries might be easier than from the US? .
    Yeah, here they might screen you to see if you're the kind of person who is going to flake on the kid.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Recently, there was a woman that traded two children for an exotic bird. In another story, there was a woman who wasn't behind on her house payments and the bank foreclosed and took her exotic bird.