User Tag List

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Excellent Article on Liberty by David Boaz

David Boaz is Executive Vice President of the Cato Institute and is openly gay. He makes some great points here about libertarians who like to hearken back to a "Golden Age of Liberty" whilst conveniently forgetting how un-free the majority of Americans were.

Up from Slavery - Reason Magazine
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

I think Boaz needs to meditate upon the differences between "small government" and "limited government" further before straw-manning Hayek. I actually agree that there was never a "golden age" of liberty, but that does not de-legitimize the broad philosophical paradigm contained in "the Road to Serfdom" at all.

I think I'll wait before commenting further, as I'm piss-drunk right now and not really up to it.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I think Boaz needs to meditate upon the differences between "small government" and "limited government" further before straw-manning Hayek. I actually agree that there was never a "golden age" of liberty, but that does not de-legitimize the broad philosophical paradigm contained in "the Road to Serfdom" at all.

I think I'll wait before commenting further, as I'm piss-drunk right now and not really up to it.
    Will Wilkinson, "liberaltarian" extraordinaire, has a nice little debate going with Jacob Hornberger of Future of Freedom Foundation (paleolibertarian) about this very topic. In temperament, I am closer to Will, but I find him a little too sanguine about the possibility of young civil libertarianish people infiltrating the Democratic Party or generally becoming more libertarianish, full stop. The Left is becoming less libertarian right now, rather than more. I DO believe that libertarians are inheritors of the classical liberalism of Locke, Jefferson, Paine, et al., but I also recognize that their tradition informed much of the "Old Right" of the early- to mid-20th Century. There are virtually no libertarian members of the Democratic mainstream right now, and there are a few conspicuous libertarian Republicans. They do not exercise nearly enough power within Washington, however, and I am not very high on most Tea Party people at the moment. Gary Johnson looks pretty legit to me, but we shall see.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"