User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 154

  1. #81
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Cutting out the dog's eye was extreme.

    But from the sounds of it, that dog being in the workplace created a hostile work enviroment. He ought to have gone that route. But he has my sympathy. Good grief, if your dog has a "problem" with "liking" blacks and hispanics, then it doesn't belong out in public in a workplace.

    I've worked in a place with an aggressive dog before. I was bitten and had to fill out a on the job injury report with the management. The damn dog would lay where I needed to work on the fax machine and the receptionist kept dog treats in her desk right there. Stupid dog was "protecting" his treats and bit me on the upper foot. Management was not happy with me for getting bit! Well, control your damn dog!

    The dog also ran into a knee I'd previously had surgery on. It's a HUGE dog and it comes running down the hallway at top speed because one of the owners was playing with it and I was delivering mail around the office, me in the wrong place, at the wrong time, the dog runs into me at top speed, its head smashes right into my knee cap. Ouch! And I limp for a day.

  2. #82
    Senior Member Hirsch63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Canines have been the trusted companions of our species for millenia. They hunt with us...they guard us...it is a relationship of mutual benefit. And we have bred them for their characteristics....speed, ability to track, pulling capacity and yes, propensity to defend our property and lives. Cows are bred for slaughter or milk. Deer without a balancing predator will wreck their own environment (thanks to us eliminating the wolves, bears and cougar). As someone who was attacked and bitten by a german sheperd when I was young I can promise you that I was afraid and angry at dogs afterward...but I had always had dogs in my life and loved the interaction. So I slowly over the years taught myself to understand dogs and their reactions so that I could once again enjoy their company.

    The man who slashed this dog made a choice. He sought and maintained employment at a business where he had direct knowledge that the Guard Dog was predisposed to...guard the business, his home and source of food. The dog is not a free actor, she does not posess the same self determination as the employee. Dogs sense fear in a person through smell (I imagine) or behaviour and they react to that. The dogs territory is the business where she has been rewarded for being a deterent to anyone invading the property who most likely will be apprehensive (fearful).

    All we know about the employee is that he had been attacked before, that he had threatened to harm the dog and then did. Did he contact animal control regarding his concerns? Did this sentient free acting human consult with any authority in a position to remedy the situation? He chose to slash the dog with a knife; an act that speaks of vindictive cruelty rather than self-defense. If an animal threatens my life I have the option of retreating to a safe distance or killing it. Simply wounding it is a poor solution. If this man slashed a cow or deer I would be puzzled...Unless the cow or deer assaulted him unexpectedly. If you have been around cows or deer you know that this is possible (though much less so than it is with a guard dog...or bear or cougar). Presumably a cow or deer would not be put in a position of guarding an urban business? And I imagine bears and cougars would not be a practical choice either with the cost of feeding them and their comparitive lack of a tractable nature.

    The man had a choice to remove himself from a situation where he felt (with good reason) threatened. He chose not to exercise this option and instead maintained an (ultimately) untenable position. If I milk a cow I realize there is a possibility of being kicked. If I am in the pasture I keep an eye on the bull. If I come upon a deer in the wilderness I know I could be kicked by sharp hooves or gored by antlers. If I walk into a junkyard (or as they are called now a recylcling center) I know fom lifelong experience that there is likely to be a large unpleasant dog lurking about who's business it is to protect that territory. I like Ebay instead.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

  3. #83
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Cutting out the dog's eye was extreme. If he reported the dog attacking him to the police, spoke with the owner about the dog's behavior and was ignored I can see a situation in which his frustration grows at not being believed that an animal is antagonizing him and he flipped out.
    I agree. I don't really like dogs, my sister (a dog lover) has been bitten more than once while delivering mail, but I still question his reaction.

  4. #84
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurel View Post
    What is wrong with all the people in this story? Why would you have a dog that YOU, the owner, says doesn't like minorities, guarding your business? Why did the guy who hurt the dog keep working there if the dog bothered him? Before saying it was because he had to for money, why would he then slash the dog and obviously lose his job? These people are all crazy.
    She says it best!

    Except that I question how much choice some people have in today's economy. It isn't like jobs are hanging from the trees like so much ripe fruit for the plucking anymore. And this dude didn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed. So chances are his choices extremely limited. It's easy to judge from the outside. Will be interesting what the trial unearths.

  5. #85
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just Some Guy View Post
    Let's say the article is to be believed-- the dog had bitten him before. So let's compare this to a human interaction...

    Person A is a Black mailman who had been unjustifiably attacked by Person B on his mail route. Person B is constantly threatening all Black people who come near the house. One day Person A comes by and Person B starts calling Person A a nigger and threatening to attack him again-- if Person A slashed Person B with a knife, and I'm on Person A's jury, he's walkin.

    "Oh, but it's not a human, it's a dog" one might protest "It does not know what it's doing". Well if Person B is a retarded schizophrenic, I still think Person A is justified in attacking them if Person B had attacked them before and was acting like he might attack again.

    If the owner didn't want this to happen, dog shoulda been kept indoors after it attacked someone the first time.
    Who's to say that the dog wasn't taunted a year ago and that made her bite the man the last time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurel View Post
    The idiot who carved out his eye said that he was bitten last year. Did he report it last year or just say it now?
    I thought about that as well. Small article. Inconclusive data. As usual.

  6. #86
    Senior Member ColonelGadaafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP
    Posts
    774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Oh but it's so fun to keep you guys guessing. Why oh why does Peguy post the stuff he does? - One of life's greatest mysteries no?
    It's because you're a plumber who makes failed ass attempts at seeming cryptic, but chooses the wrong material and then comes out with his intent.

    -----------------

    The idiot should have laced a steak with infectious bacteria, and thrown it to the dog when the employer was on an errand, this would result in the dog receiving it's fair share of pain for it's past transgression and perhaps even die, and it would also be a way to get back at his asshole boss. It would have solved his problem discreetly, and if he could have managed to avoid his bosses suspiciousness, his day would be all fine and dandy. But sometimes the impulse to do directly is too tempting when you act on hate towards a certain object, resulting in this mess.

    On the incarceration of this fellow and to further the scope of debate>
    I don't see why this man should be jailed or trailed. He should just receive a fine of some sort to pay the medical bill's, which shouldn't amount to much, and perhaps pay the bill for assault on property, by mail.


    Why?

    Animals in the human world should not receive rights in the same manner as human being's. They are nothing more then domesticated human property and should be dealt with as such in judiciary system. And the fact that they have CNS and can feel pain and a certain range of emotions does not negate the fact, that they still lack consciousness and the ability to understand the concept of rights, besides being totally purposeless resources. Therefore the concept of animal right's is not justified. But then again this is just my opinion and most people will disagree because they find it "unreasonable" or "baseless", but to me, the dog is two step's above the function of a computer or a TV.

  7. #87
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelGadaafi View Post
    The idiot should have laced a steak with infectious bacteria, and thrown it to the dog when the employer was on an errand, this would result in the dog receiving it's fair share of pain for it's past transgression and perhaps even die, and it would also be a way to get back at his asshole boss. It would have solved his problem discreetly, and if he could have managed to avoid his bosses suspiciousness, his day would be all fine and dandy. But sometimes the impulse to do directly is too tempting when you act on hate towards a certain object, resulting in this mess.


    On the incarceration of this fellow and to further the scope of debate>
    I don't see why this man should be jailed or trailed. He should just receive a fine of some sort to pay the medical bill's, which shouldn't amount to much, and perhaps pay the bill for assault on property, by mail.
    Thanks for sharing your fantasies and love for animals.

    First of all, the "idiot" should undergo psychological evaluation. Sure, I get it, life is hard at the moment, there could be a number of reasons that caused him stress, so that he got so annoyed about the dog to direct his own anger towards an animal that seemingly "hates" him. That's the whole point of the matter, the dog wasn't probably even the cause, her behaviour only worsened his previous condition and added to the stress. Threatening to kill the dog for barking? Ok, yeah, eeeverything is fine in that head of yours, man.

    It's still inconclusory what lead the dog to bite him a year ago. But, let's say that the dog did bite him just because he happened to be around. The dog is bad, her owner is worse, for not dealing with her as the signs were all there. The dog would have caused trouble sooner or later.

    But still, this time the slashing was unprovoked. Instead of dealing with himself, his anger and with the dog in a proper way, he decided to plan ahead and go through with something so stupid and cruel.

    He will probably not be jailed and instead, as you said, medical bills, yada, yada because that's the way things go.

    Why?

    Animals in the human world should not receive rights in the same manner as human being's. They are nothing more then domesticated human property and should be dealt with as such in judiciary system. And the fact that they have CNS and can feel pain and a certain range of emotions does not negate the fact, that they still lack consciousness and the ability to understand the concept of rights, besides being totally purposeless resources. Therefore the concept of animal right's is not justified. But then again this is just my opinion and most people will disagree because they find it "unreasonable" or "baseless", but two me, the dog is two step's above the function of a computer or a tv.
    So, am I getting this right? You say that dogs lack consciousness? How can they transgress anything? Doesn't that involve consciousness?

    Don't animals have the right to live and the right for care and protection? These are exactly among the the same rights humans have. Sure, domesticated animals are human property, always have been, always will be. But, as with any other property, humans have the responsibility to take care of their property. In this case, the humans neglected the dog.

  8. #88
    Probably Most Brilliant Craft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    I hate dogs. They're loud, they chase after me, they bark at me, they try to bite me and they've murdered several people because of their rabies. Still, a simple kick would be enough. This is too much.
    A search for truth is a search for a greedy perspective.

    Nah, that's not truth. That's just your bullshit ideas of truth. Truth is always inclusive. If it's not inclusive, then toughen it up and try harder.

  9. #89
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    Don't animals have the right to live and the right for care and protection? These are exactly among the the same rights humans have. Sure, domesticated animals are human property, always have been, always will be. But, as with any other property, humans have the responsibility to take care of their property. In this case, the humans neglected the dog.
    I agree with this, but in particular, the owner mismanged his dog creating a hostile work environment. An owner with a hostile dog who harasses people has a responsibility to retrain the dog or keep it away from people. German Shephards can be quite intimidating. I can't help but think what a wonderfully legal way to harass people of color at a workplace this could have been.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

  10. #90
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You forgot the standard references to petit bourgeoise ideology, which of course is mere cover for capitalistic imperialism that oppresses the international lumpenproletariat. Comrade Lenin is disappoined in you.
    Are you an embittered ex leftist?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Similar Threads

  1. I'm sorry for being a man
    By Kullervo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 08:55 AM
  2. Man sentenced to be surgically paralyzed in eye for an eye case
    By UniqueMixture in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM
  3. The member you most wonder for being (popularly) identified with
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 02:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO