MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Chinese, Japanese, or Korean?

What's the difference?

And before you accuse me of ethnocentrism and ignorance, let me explain.

I see anti-racist liberals day by day accusing others of calling an Asian person Chinese, when Asian person in question is actually Japanese or vice versa.

I'd like to ask these morons something, if you anti-racist liberals are so anti-racist, then why would it make a difference? After all, yes, the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and so forth are all the same. They happen to be members of the human race.

The way I see it, a true anti-racist person would be precisely the one saying "Chinese, Japanese, what's the difference?" If we're all equal and of planet Earth, then why would confusing a person's native land matter?

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

People shouldn't expect each other to be all that knowledgable of this Asian determining...especially non-Asians.

I, for one, am almost always able to figure out who is who, just from looking at the Asian person's appearance, because I've lived in practically an Asian colony my entire life xD...I can sometimes even get it down to when region of the country their families are from. Sometimes even family names. This is a pretty common skill for someone that lives where I do...if they're an Asian as well, of course.

I don't think that the fact that the differences should be pointed out is all that important, as you said. But the presence of the differences is important. They are part of peoples' heritage, culture...and a lot of the time even defining aspects of peoples' mindsets. People are going to make mistakes though, it's not like everyone specializes in Azn-ology.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I've been wondering, now. From an Asian's perspective, do white people all look the same? Are you able to tell the difference between someone who looks Irish or German or whatnot?

GirlAmerica

Actually...this is a very interesting topic....a point of view I was just introduced to (a conversation that was between co-workers) was regarding Asian female stereo-types. They were discussing the typical submissive stereo-type and commenting on how especially Korean woman were actually very aggressive. ?? Honestly, the area that I live in has a very heavy influence of Japanese because of Honda being in the area. I really never have befriended any (because they tend to group together and speak Japanese too/mostly because they arent here long term) however they always have seems very gracious. Anyhow...it was interesting...because I had never heard of such.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    The way I see it, a true anti-racist person would be precisely the one saying "Chinese, Japanese, what's the difference?" If we're all equal and of planet Earth, then why would confusing a person's native land matter?
    I think they're more concerned with having their millennia-old cultures confused.

MBTI
    isxp

From AllLookSame.com
    China, Japan, Korea: What's the difference? Do they all look the same, or are they very distinct? Is there any truth to the stereotype, or is it ignorance? Well, enter the exam room here and find out for yourself. We have eight tests in different categories such as face, art, architecture, and food. Remember: We are not here to make a statement; it's a question. Good luck and enjoy.
    I took exam #1 and got 6/18 right (6 = Very bad/Obviously can't tell the difference). The average is 7/18. I'm Asian and I live in the Bay Area where it's supposed to be culturally diverse. I probably have more exposure to different Asians than most in the U.S.

I've been wondering, now. From an Asian's perspective, do white people all look the same?
    No, white people don't all look the same to me.

Are you able to tell the difference between someone who looks Irish or German or whatnot?
    I don't know. I can usually tell when someone is German- though, only because one of my best friends is German and I am close with her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I think they're more concerned with having their millennia-old cultures confused.
    *yawn*. . . Yep.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

*sigh* I just wish that food from any of the abovementioned cultures was more filling!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    GONE

I see anti-racist liberals day by day accusing others of calling an Asian person Chinese, when Asian person in question is actually Japanese or vice versa.

I'm going to be really nice and patient Uber and help you out. You are welcome in advance.

My answer:

Then they're both ignorant.

Ignorant can mean 1) You don't know any better about a particular factual topic and need to be informed or 2) carry a willfully ignorant attitude or mindset

Further, in this case I think you are also guilty of ignorance because you don't seem to know what you are even talking about in your post. As in, what exactly is question?

Do you have beef with 'anti-racist liberals'? Do you really think all East Asians look the same (I swear, I'll give you the equivalent of $10 IRL = 10 rep points if you could tell me the difference between Far East, South, SouthEast, and Near East Asia) Do you really think people are part of the human race first, foremost, and only? I doubt that Mr. 'prefers Aryan looking girls' Fuhrer.

I can only lend my considerable resources if you tell me how you need help.

I hear you crying out for it in this post, but frankly, I'm not even sure what you're asking for.

MBTI
    GONE

Default I got it!

Chinese, Japanese, or Korean?
    What's the difference?
    Alright, here's your answer.

Again, you're welcome.

And now I'm done with this and any other race-baiting thread for at least the rest of the year.

Don't miss me too much.

GirlAmerica

Actually, I think if you take any stereo-types out (although, stereo-types exist for a reason), that this was a genuine question. At least it was of genuine interest to me.
    I am in no racist. I have two biological children, and adopted my daughter in Guatemala (first starting that quest in China).
    If you break it down to the fundementals...I think that you have a very typical question he was pondering. I myself understand the differences in geography...however the cultures themselves are very confusing.
    We have tended to lump everything Asian under one umbrella...
    and I would have to say the typical person in America has not had a lot of exposure, or enough exposure to understand the differences.

A foreign exchange student that came to my high school became one of my very good friends. She was from Japan.
    She was in no way defensive...and we could sit and discuss some of the stero-types. She said that in Japan they stero-typed American's in blue jeans always chewing gum. She was amazed also that we could have such in depth conversations...as she said we were stereo-typed as very shallow.
    I can say, she had a point to all three....in a lot of ways.
    I wish I had not been so young...I would have had a load of questions now.
    I love culture...it is very facinating. Stero-types and all.