User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think being against racism requires you to think all people and all cultures are exactly the same. Differentiating isn't the same thing as ranking.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

GirlAmerica

I dont think that ranking anyone should be done....except on their own personal actions.

We have a very blended world upon our horizon. I think it is both exciting and sad. Exciting because of the opportunities to learn, sad because so much of each culture is being lost.

I have this going on within the walls of my own home.
    My daughter belongs to two cultures. One I know much about, one I have educated myself on.
    One she lives, one she is exposed to in a positive manner.
    I give her the opportunity to explore it if she chooses, we do it together.
    At this point she doesnt have much interest.......I let her make a lot of those choices. If the time does come she has my full support.

She has had to face some of the stero-types of Latino's in our area.
    I want her to be educated and open to them. Understanding why they exist...and the beauty of her ancestory.
    I want her to understand the existing angles...so she is not blindsided.

It was just this year on the bus a boy called her a racist name.
    We discussed it...it was her first exposure.
    I understand the many facets involved.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    What's the difference?

And before you accuse me of ethnocentrism and ignorance, let me explain.

I see anti-racist liberals day by day accusing others of calling an Asian person Chinese, when Asian person in question is actually Japanese or vice versa.

I'd like to ask these morons something, if you anti-racist liberals are so anti-racist, then why would it make a difference? After all, yes, the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, and so forth are all the same. They happen to be members of the human race.

The way I see it, a true anti-racist person would be precisely the one saying "Chinese, Japanese, what's the difference?" If we're all equal and of planet Earth, then why would confusing a person's native land matter?
    If it helps, Herr Uber, I can't tell the difference either. *laughing* Just when I think I have it, I'm WRONG! My Mom was born and raised in Okinawa. I was born there (My Dad's German/Dutch), and I came here to the US when I was 3... SO I'm pretty Americanized. Plus, there aren't many Asians where I live.

Most people cannot tell what nationality I am -- Most people think I am Indian or Mexican. I just claim that I am an American mutt.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Hey, my parents spent a couple of years in Okinawa when my dad was in the Navy. They loved it there.

I've read some interesting articles about the typical Okinawan parenting style (which is remarkably calm and accepting IIRC). And I've referred to them when people think I'm not stern enough. My mother says she took a lot of her cues from watching parents there before she had my brother. She is an exceedingly gentle and positive parent.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

I've yet to go back there -- We were thinking about going a couple of years ago (before youngest son decided to fly), however I was banned from going on any major vacations (threat of strike). Oh well...
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I've been wondering, now. From an Asian's perspective, do white people all look the same? Are you able to tell the difference between someone who looks Irish or German or whatnot?
    You can tell the difference not by how they look like... but by how they act like and their manner of speech. I think it's true for both Asian and Caucasian.

Asians have a easier time recognizing different groups of Asians because of increase exposure... Sometimes I have difficulty telling origins of descent for whites... but no you learn to recognize people... just not where they're from. And same goes in reverse.

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Asian people think and process information in a very different way that western people do. They are aware of different aspects of the world that westerners are, as well as different aspects of people. I can say that there is a lot I would have missed if I wasn't born with Chinese eyes.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

*nods to niffer* It's the difference between collectivistic and individualistic cultures. We're taught to think more about groups and less about ourselves. We see people and describe them in relation to others. That's different from the Western belief system.

Ummm classical pysc experiment... There's a picture of 4 fish swimming... one of them was distinctly in front of the rest. People from different cultures were ask to describe what they see... The westerner said "The fish is faster than the rest." The asian said "The fish is leading the rest".

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by GirlAmerica View Post
    We have a very blended world upon our horizon. I think it is both exciting and sad. Exciting because of the opportunities to learn, sad because so much of each culture is being lost.
    I think it's sad. I blame the aeroplane. The world would be a much more interesting place if it took longer to get to foreign shores.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    You can tell the difference not by how they look like... but by how they act like and their manner of speech. ...
    Ah. That makes it tougher to make a discernment at a distance.