User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP

I don't find the events alarming at all, just a natural consequence.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    I don't find the events alarming at all, just a natural consequence.
    Events are not alarming. Your attitude is, though.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFP

Why?

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Tantive, I find your trend of starting alarmist threads... becoming quickly not alarming.
    Heart seems to be a lovely person.. But I would say she is the one who wont let me forget why I don't watch TV or read newspapers..

I have never even heard of Tanitive until you brought him/her up.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Discuss! - and if you think that it cannot happen, prepare to be educated
    Could you define what a "collapse" is in more concrete terms? For example if all prices doubled over a month's time then that would be considered a collapse in the dollar's value. However if all prices doubled over the course of 20 years, then it would simply be considered normal behavior.

How quickly would prices have to double in order for the dollar to "collapse"? What is the threshold between "collapse" and "non-collapse"?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

@ OP question:

Let's see... About $30 trillion in derivatives is wiped out. Cascading cross-defaults circle the globe several times over, and every major bank in over 95% of the world's countries crumbles. This leads to credit and currency crises all over the world, compounded with the major countries losing their biggest international client. The Great Depression looks appealing in comparison.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTx

Discuss! - and if you think that it cannot happen, prepare to be educated
    I'm not sure what we're supposed to discuss here. All you've propositioned is some vague notion that something may happen and that we should prepare for whatever that happens to be. With a smiley face. This is the same type of point I hear from the local doomsayer's guild #2911801 when claiming the end of modern society as we know it is JUST AROUND THE CORNER JUST YOU WAIT NO I WON'T EXPLAIN YOU'LL SEE HA HA HA for one of a billion bloody reasons.

MBTI
    INFP

It's not that vague or something that 'may' happen. If you analyse the history of economics in the last 100 years..this is precisely where the road is headed.
    Consider the debt the US has accumilated, the dollar thats being inflated by those stimulus packadges....and the government is trying to stimulate more spending...with the fed having to rely on foreign debt buying to keep things going. Sooner or not that much later, the lenders wise up and decide to cut their losses....as theres no way as things are going, the US can pay off the debt. China is the one to watch, which is the main reason the US is seemingly afloat. You have but to look at the prices of gold, which have risen 4 times higher then ...+-8 years ago.
    US's bubble popped in 2008, the recession hit...which is what it needed to correct the balance of the market. But then government and the fed is interfering again by trying to 'minimise the impact' ...which will make the recession fall into a depression. If the stupidity continiue's , the depression will become an inflationairy depression.

Ron Paul, Peter Schiff...and other smart and high profile people have been talking about this for years, trying to desperatly to get people to wisen up before the 2008 crash happend..
    Funnily enough back in 2005 theres was a documentary on dutch television about this...and in the program they were asked to write out scenario's about what would happen if the dollar would fall. Only it had to happen in a 24 hour time period.

YouTube - Worst Case: The Day The Dollar Falls Part 1/6
    The scenario's laid out are happening, albit slower and drawn out of stretches of weeks and months.

And damn...I really need to do something about whats lost in translation in attitude between spoken and written text :p

The Singularity and the End of the World

It's not that vague or something that 'may' happen.
    What you are talking about is the fall of the USA mercantile empire and its not gunna happen.

And it won't happen because the USA and her allies are on a growth trajectory.

And it is not a linear trajectory but an exponential trajectory.

And the problem is that we intuitively understand linear growth but we can only understand exponential growth counter-intuitively through mathematics and most of us are innumerate.

And those who understand exponentially growth know that exponential growth ends in a singularity.

And unfortunately the innumerate equate a singularity with the end of the world.

And worse, our eschatology predicts the end of the world, so we drive forward looking in the rear vision mirror at the end of the world, while our singularity rushes towards us through the windscreen.